|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jerome's question about what they are to make received by the girls?
2. What does Jerome take with him to his favorite basketball court?
3. Who is at the basketball court when Jerome arrives for the challenge?
4. What is Bix's stepfather doing as Jerome leaves?
5. About what do Bix and his stepfather argue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jerome feel going down the path to the court at night and what exacerbates those feelings?
2. What makes Jerome realize Bix is in real trouble?
3. Where does Jerome find a new place to practice basketball?
4. What does Jerome tell his momma about Bix and what is her response?
5. How long of a break is there when Jerome and Bix do not see each other, and what does Jerome do as far as practicing basketball in the meantime?
6. About what does Bix challenge Jerome?
7. How does Bix seem in the Home Economics class?
8. What does Bix do in the Home Economics class that is disturbing?
9. What does Bix's stepfather say about Bix's relationship to Bix's mother?
10. What does Jerome look forward to in his Home Economics class, and what surprises him when he arrives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Moves Make the Man? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Moves Make the Man including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Moves Make the Man and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The Moves Make the Man belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
The actual story is the narration of Jerome's journey of transformation from solitary, angry, self-motivated boy to a young man who has experienced friendship, affection, and the motivation / desire to help another.
1. What do think is the one main incident which changed Jerome's thinking about all whites? Discuss the incident and what you see are the emotional and intellectual effects of it on Jerome. Use examples from The Moves Make the Man and your own life to support your answer.
2. Given the incident of what Bix brought to dinner at Jerome's house do you think Jerome did experience friendship and or affection from Bix? Why or why not? Use examples from The Moves Make the Man and your own life to support your answer.
3. Jerome grew much more as a person in this book than did Bix. Take a stance for or against this statement and discuss your reasoning for your stance. Use examples from The Moves Make the Man and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)