|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerome say about his mother's interactions with other people?
2. Upon what does Jerome's mother focus concerning other people?
3. What is hidden in a grove of trees?
4. What happens when Jerome sneaks into Bix's room?
5. What school had Jerome planned to attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the narrator, Jerome, introduce and what does he say about where the young man is?
2. What is the traditional game that Jerome discusses?
3. How does Jerome describe his momma?
4. What is hidden in a grove of trees and what sometimes watches Jerome there?
5. What does Jerome say about the white sports league versus the black one?
6. What does the driver of the grill truck say to Jerome?
7. What does Jerome say about the situation about attending Chestnut Street Junior High School, and how does his momma react?
8. How is Jerome's attention forced away from his attempt to make friends?
9. What does Jerome's momma point out to him one day and how does he react?
10. What are two reasons Jerome gives for being the one to tell Bix's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Moves Make the Man based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Moves Make the Man is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Moves Make the Man a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Brooks' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Brooks' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Brooks and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jerome and Bix. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Jerome's mother and Bix's stepfather. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Moves Make the Man help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)