|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Jerome's mother not pay attention to concerning other people?
2. What does Jerome's mother ask him one day?
3. To what does the phrase "spin light" pertain?
4. Who is the first person to notice Jerome's behavior?
5. Why does Jerome worry that some people might think he is a thief?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Miss Pimton and the girls in Jerome's new class react to his arrival in the classroom and who is assigned to be his partner?
2. What does Jerome's momma point out to him one day and how does he react?
3. What does Jerome say about regaining his sense of privacy and how he is mistaken?
4. What does Jerome's former principal say when he visits Jerome and his momma?
5. What is the traditional game that Jerome discusses?
6. What is one thing Jerome quickly learns at Chestnut school?
7. How does Jerome describe his momma?
8. Who accompanies Jerome to the basketball court one day and how does Jerome feel about that?
9. What is hidden in a grove of trees and what sometimes watches Jerome there?
10. What does Jerome say about the white sports league versus the black one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Moves Make the Man is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Moves Make the Man.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Moves Make the Man. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Moves Make the Man. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Moves Make the Man. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Moves Make the Man. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of truth in The Moves Make the Man. Consider also the theme of lying as opposed to truth and what truths are presented.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)