|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jerome worry that some people might think he is a thief?
(a) Because he took Bix's ball glove out of Bix's bedroom.
(b) Because he took Bix's cleats out of Bix's bedroom.
(c) Because he took Bix's notebook out of Bix's bedroom.
(d) Because he took Bix's ball cap out of Bix's bedroom.
2. Where is Bix's mother?
(a) An insane asylum.
(c) No one knows.
(d) New Orleans.
3. What does Jerome want to do in church?
(a) Sing a solo.
(b) Answer the altar call.
(c) Tell the truth about Bix.
(d) He does not go to church.
4. What does one of the white players say after the pick up game?
(a) That Jerome is the best basketball player there.
(b) That the coach is a racist pig.
(c) That Jerome is uppity for thinking of trying out for the team.
(d) That Jerome could help them win the state championship.
5. Why does Jerome do that keeps the white students from bothering him?
(a) Avoids any possible confrontation.
(b) Beats up a boy who calls him "nigger".
(c) Wears a set of brass knuckles.
(d) Offers to help some students with their assignments.
6. What does Jerome realize after his mother asks him a question about his behavior?
(a) He is sad that Bix does not seem to want to be friends.
(b) He does want to be something other than a factory worker.
(c) He tends to vocalize basketball plays.
(d) He never talks directly to others.
7. Who makes a spectacular play that sends the black team to the bench?
8. What class does Jerome decide to drop in order to change to the suggested class?
9. What is Jerome's preferred sport?
10. What is the effect of the person going with Jerome?
(a) Jerome does not see Bix as a white boy.
(b) Jerome sees his brother as a real person.
(c) Jerome sees his father as a real person.
(d) It ruins his secret place for a while.
11. Who sponsors the white team that traditionally visits a black team at the beginning of the season?
(c) Dr. Pepper.
12. Where will Jerome start attending school?
(a) Hiram Junior High School.
(b) George Washington Carver Junior High School.
(c) Chestnut Street Junior High School.
(d) Walnut Street Junior High School.
13. What will be unique about Jerome's situation?
(a) He will be allowed to waive the mandatory requirements.
(b) He will be allowed to play on the basketball team.
(c) He will be the only black student.
(d) He will be one of only about 50 black students.
14. Who is the first person to notice Jerome's behavior?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
15. Who does the man with whom Jerome say he is?
(a) The main detective in the local precinct.
(b) The owner of the ball field.
(c) The owner of the Seven-Up plant.
(d) The baseball coach at the white high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coaching the team that Jerome is watching the night he meets Bix?
2. For what class is Jerome late?
3. With whom does Jerome speak after the ball game?
4. What is one reason it is appropriate for Jerome to write about Bix?
5. Where is it possible to play basketball both summer and winter?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)