|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Jerome sneaks into Bix's room?
(a) He is caught by Bix's mother.
(b) He is caught by Bix's stepfather.
(c) He is caught by Bix's brother.
(d) He cries.
2. About what does Jerome's Communications teacher lecture Jerome?
(a) How athletics prevents Jerome from discovering the truth about himself.
(b) That boys who much learn to cook do not belong on the basketball court.
(c) That communications will ensure Jerome's acceptance into college.
(d) That communication is the cornerstone of success.
3. Who calls Jerome in to talk with him?
(a) The school counselor.
(b) The school nurse.
(c) The principal.
(d) The basketball coach.
4. What do the younger siblings of some of the ball players do?
(a) Try to get their older brothers to buy them refreshments.
(b) Borrow shirts from both the black and the white players.
(c) Start fighting.
(d) Play a pick up game.
5. What does the person do who shows up in the middle of the game?
(a) Cheers for Maurice.
(b) Picks a fight with some of the ball players.
(c) Arrests one of the spectators.
(d) Cheers for Bix.
6. Who shows up in the middle of the game that Jerome is describing?
(a) A police office.
(b) A few gang members.
(c) A tall, handsome white man.
(d) A beautiful white woman.
7. How does the counselor respond to Jerome's choice of schedule change?
(a) She disapproves it.
(b) She reluctantly approves.
(c) She is happy to see Jerome making the choice to stay in French class.
(d) She thinks Jerome is unaware of the impact of his choice.
8. Why does Jerome do that keeps the white students from bothering him?
(a) Avoids any possible confrontation.
(b) Beats up a boy who calls him "nigger".
(c) Offers to help some students with their assignments.
(d) Wears a set of brass knuckles.
9. What school had Jerome planned to attend?
(b) Third Avenue.
(d) Booker T. Washington.
10. What does Jerome eventually recover?
(a) His sense of privacy.
(b) His sense of honor.
(c) His belief in Bix's goodness.
(d) His belief in his father's wisdom.
11. Of what does Jerome's mother assure him concerning her anger?
(a) She will get over it.
(b) It is not about anything Jerome has done.
(c) She needs to feel the anger but still loves him.
(d) She is working on getting rid of her anger.
12. About what does Jerome say his mother is angry?
(a) At Jerome's odd behavior.
(b) At Jerome's father's job change.
(c) At the school integration situation.
(d) At Maurice's choice.
13. Where does Jerome spend most of his summers?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the black neighborhood park.
(c) At the black swimming pool.
(d) At the secret basketball court.
14. Why is Jerome angry?
(a) Bix laughs at Jerome when Jerome trips.
(b) He thinks Bix thinks Bix is too good to spend time with black people.
(c) His father insisted he play football.
(d) His father would not let him play baseball.
15. Why is Mattie Sue happy about Jerome's arrival in Home Economics class?
(a) So Jerome will partner with Baxter.
(b) So Jerome will partner with Jackson.
(c) Her parents are supporters of the civil rights movement.
(d) So she can get out of cooking a cake that day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class is it suggested that Jerome take?
2. What kind of student does Jerome's visitor call him?
3. What happens when Bix gets angry?
4. To what does the phrase "spin light" pertain?
5. About what does the visitor to Jerome's home assure Jerome?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)