|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bix's mother?
(a) No one knows.
(b) New Orleans.
(c) An insane asylum.
2. How long has Jerome known Bix before Bix runs away?
(a) About a year.
(b) The three years of high school.
(c) Since they were five.
(d) Since they were babies.
3. Why is Jerome angry?
(a) His father would not let him play baseball.
(b) His father insisted he play football.
(c) He thinks Bix thinks Bix is too good to spend time with black people.
(d) Bix laughs at Jerome when Jerome trips.
4. What is one class Jerome mentions he enjoys?
5. What class is it suggested that Jerome take?
(c) Home Economics.
6. What does Jerome want to do in church?
(a) Answer the altar call.
(b) Sing a solo.
(c) Tell the truth about Bix.
(d) He does not go to church.
7. Where is it possible to play basketball both summer and winter?
(a) In the white YMCA.
(b) At the court hidden in the trees.
(c) At the court at the black YMCA.
(d) In the high school gym.
8. Who else is scheduled to be in Jerome's new class?
(a) Braxton Rivers.
(b) One of the basketball players who taunted Jerome.
(d) One of the basketball players who wanted Jerome to play on the team.
9. What is the narrator's name?
10. Who is Jerome's unseen opponent?
(c) His father.
11. Who is the first person to notice Jerome's behavior?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
12. What happens when Bix gets angry?
(a) He goes off by himself.
(b) He cries.
(c) He flushes with color.
(d) He takes a run.
13. What tune does the horn of one of the trucks play?
(a) "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".
(b) No tune.
(d) "Battle Hymn of the Republic".
14. What new laws are in effect that will affect Jerome?
(b) Separate but equal.
(d) Jim Crow.
15. What does Maurice go off to college to do?
(a) Become a pediatrician.
(b) Become a psychiatrist.
(c) Become an architect.
(d) Become a pilot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the man with whom Jerome say he is?
2. Why does Jerome cut off a pair of his pants?
3. What does Jerome say about his mother's interactions with other people?
4. For what class is Jerome late?
5. Who does Jerome look for but cannot find?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)