|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Jerome's Communications teacher lecture Jerome?
(a) How athletics prevents Jerome from discovering the truth about himself.
(b) That communications will ensure Jerome's acceptance into college.
(c) That boys who much learn to cook do not belong on the basketball court.
(d) That communication is the cornerstone of success.
2. What does Jerome say about his mother's interactions with other people?
(a) She is aloof.
(b) She deals well with them.
(c) She is shy.
(d) She is hostile.
3. What is another way Jerome uses to find friends?
(a) If the person is into basketball.
(b) How the person speaks French.
(c) How the person talks about civil rights.
(d) How the person refers to their "colored" help.
4. What does the person do who shows up in the middle of the game?
(a) Arrests one of the spectators.
(b) Cheers for Maurice.
(c) Picks a fight with some of the ball players.
(d) Cheers for Bix.
5. Why does Jerome worry that some people might think he is a thief?
(a) Because he took Bix's ball cap out of Bix's bedroom.
(b) Because he took Bix's notebook out of Bix's bedroom.
(c) Because he took Bix's ball glove out of Bix's bedroom.
(d) Because he took Bix's cleats out of Bix's bedroom.
6. What does Jerome eventually recover?
(a) His sense of honor.
(b) His belief in his father's wisdom.
(c) His belief in Bix's goodness.
(d) His sense of privacy.
7. How does Jerome characterize Mr. Eggelestobbs?
8. Who are some people Jerome's brother continually analyzes?
(a) Jerome's brother's classmates.
(b) Jerome's brother's Sunday school teacher and the church's preacher.
(c) The baseball team the brother coaches.
(d) Jerome's brother's teachers.
9. What happens when Jerome calls Braxton Rivers "luck"?
(a) The counselor frowns and says nothing.
(b) The counselor says that remains to be seen.
(c) The counselor says Braxton is dropping out of school.
(d) The counselor says Braxton is quite lucky.
10. What class is it suggested that Jerome take?
(c) Home Economics.
11. What happens when Jerome sneaks into Bix's room?
(a) He is caught by Bix's mother.
(b) He is caught by Bix's stepfather.
(c) He cries.
(d) He is caught by Bix's brother.
12. About what does Jerome say his mother is angry?
(a) At Jerome's father's job change.
(b) At the school integration situation.
(c) At Maurice's choice.
(d) At Jerome's odd behavior.
13. What is one thing Jerome learns when he starts school that Fall?
(a) He will have to work much harder than the white students.
(b) He will probably not be very popular.
(c) There are good reasons why schools are segregated.
(d) In some ways, people at the white school aren't that much different from people at the black one.
14. Who is the first person to notice Jerome's behavior?
(a) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brother.
15. What animal does Jerome mention while writing about playing basketball?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up in the middle of the game that Jerome is describing?
2. In what city does Jerome live?
3. For what do Jerome and his mother prepare?
4. What do the two trucks who arrive at the game carry?
5. What will be unique about Jerome's situation?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)