|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jerome say smiles politely when the person shows up?
(a) The coach of the white team.
(c) The coach of the black team.
2. What class does Jerome decide to drop in order to change to the suggested class?
3. What does Maurice go off to college to do?
(a) Become an architect.
(b) Become a psychiatrist.
(c) Become a pilot.
(d) Become a pediatrician.
4. What does Jerome later find out when he first thought things were back to being right in his secret place?
(a) The secret place is owned by a white racists.
(b) The secret place is about to be torn up.
(c) Many boys knew about the secret place.
(d) They were not right.
5. How does Jerome characterize Mr. Eggelestobbs?
6. Why does Jerome worry that some people might think he is a thief?
(a) Because he took Bix's notebook out of Bix's bedroom.
(b) Because he took Bix's cleats out of Bix's bedroom.
(c) Because he took Bix's ball glove out of Bix's bedroom.
(d) Because he took Bix's ball cap out of Bix's bedroom.
7. About what does the visitor to Jerome's home assure Jerome?
(a) The fact that Jerome can be a wonderful ambassador for blacks.
(b) The fact that Jerome's fellow students in his former school are very proud of him.
(c) The quality of the education Jerome can expect at his new school.
(d) The fact that Jerome can always return to his former school.
8. What does Jerome realize after his mother asks him a question about his behavior?
(a) He never talks directly to others.
(b) He is sad that Bix does not seem to want to be friends.
(c) He does want to be something other than a factory worker.
(d) He tends to vocalize basketball plays.
9. Who sponsors the white team that traditionally visits a black team at the beginning of the season?
(d) Dr. Pepper.
10. Who does Jerome look for but cannot find?
(c) Bix's stepfather.
(d) The black coach.
11. Why is Mattie Sue happy about Jerome's arrival in Home Economics class?
(a) Her parents are supporters of the civil rights movement.
(b) So she can get out of cooking a cake that day.
(c) So Jerome will partner with Baxter.
(d) So Jerome will partner with Jackson.
12. What does the person do who shows up in the middle of the game?
(a) Arrests one of the spectators.
(b) Cheers for Maurice.
(c) Cheers for Bix.
(d) Picks a fight with some of the ball players.
13. What do the younger siblings of some of the ball players do?
(a) Play a pick up game.
(b) Start fighting.
(c) Try to get their older brothers to buy them refreshments.
(d) Borrow shirts from both the black and the white players.
14. Who does the man with whom Jerome say he is?
(a) The owner of the Seven-Up plant.
(b) The main detective in the local precinct.
(c) The baseball coach at the white high school.
(d) The owner of the ball field.
15. What is one reason it is appropriate for Jerome to write about Bix?
(a) Jerome is now a preacher.
(b) Jerome loves the truth.
(c) Jerome is a writer.
(d) Jerome loves drama.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Jerome's Communications teacher lecture Jerome?
2. What does the counselor tell Jerome about his new class?
3. Who are some people Jerome's brother continually analyzes?
4. Why is Jerome angry?
5. What does Jerome want to do in church?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)