|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jerome cut off a pair of his pants?
(a) To protest treatment from a teacher.
(b) To try out for the basketball team.
(c) Because of the heat in the classroom.
(d) To make some of the white kids laugh.
2. How long has Jerome known Bix before Bix runs away?
(a) About a year.
(b) Since they were babies.
(c) Since they were five.
(d) The three years of high school.
3. About what does Jerome say his mother is angry?
(a) At Maurice's choice.
(b) At the school integration situation.
(c) At Jerome's father's job change.
(d) At Jerome's odd behavior.
4. Why does Jerome do that keeps the white students from bothering him?
(a) Offers to help some students with their assignments.
(b) Wears a set of brass knuckles.
(c) Beats up a boy who calls him "nigger".
(d) Avoids any possible confrontation.
5. What does Jerome ask the counselor about the boy she calls "poor thing"?
(a) If he has a mother.
(b) If he is new to the school.
(c) If he is black.
(d) If he is in the same home situation as Jerome.
6. Where will Jerome start attending school?
(a) Walnut Street Junior High School.
(b) Chestnut Street Junior High School.
(c) George Washington Carver Junior High School.
(d) Hiram Junior High School.
7. What is another way Jerome uses to find friends?
(a) How the person talks about civil rights.
(b) How the person refers to their "colored" help.
(c) If the person is into basketball.
(d) How the person speaks French.
8. What is one thing about Bix Rivers to which Jerome refers?
(a) His talent for singing.
(b) His talent for seeing the truth.
(c) His disappearance.
(d) His rebellion against authority.
9. Who goes with Jerome one day to play basketball?
(d) His father.
10. With what class would the other class interfere?
11. Where does Jerome find directions to care for a baseball glove?
(a) Hanging in the locker room.
(b) In Bix's notebook.
(c) In an old book that belongs to Jerome's dad.
(d) In a piece of paper in Bix's locker.
12. What is hidden in a grove of trees?
(a) A basketball court.
(b) A skeleton.
(c) A hangout for Jerome and his friends.
(d) A gang hideout.
13. What does the person notice about Jerome's behavior?
(a) Jerome is lethargic.
(b) Jerome is behaving strangely.
(c) Jerome is very agitated.
(d) Jerome is depressed.
14. How does the counselor respond to Jerome's choice of schedule change?
(a) She thinks Jerome is unaware of the impact of his choice.
(b) She reluctantly approves.
(c) She disapproves it.
(d) She is happy to see Jerome making the choice to stay in French class.
15. With whom does Jerome speak after the ball game?
(a) The driver of the grill truck.
(b) The police officer.
(c) The driver of the drink truck.
(d) The white coach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class does Jerome decide to drop in order to change to the suggested class?
2. Which team is doing best in the black/white game initially?
3. Where is it possible to play basketball both summer and winter?
4. What does Jerome say about his mother's interactions with other people?
5. What do the younger siblings of some of the ball players do?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)