|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term for the bag that sleeping bags come in?
2. What board game do Ben and Ashley play in Chapter 34?
3. What does Ben order at the Grille in Chapter 46?
4. What column does Ashley say she started out writing for in Chapter 26?
5. What causes the crash as Ben and Ashley make their way down the incline in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ben choose to shoot the calf instead of the mother moose?
2. What is ironic about the National Forest that Ben and Ashley are apparenly lost in?
3. How does Ben repair the makeshift sled after it has been damaged?
4. What kind of bow does Ben make along his journey? How does he make it?
5. What gift does Ben leave for Ashley at her wedding rehearsal dinner?
6. What does Ben say about the birth of his children in his dictation to Rachel?
7. How is the A-frame cabin described? What tools do Ben and Ashley find there?
8. What happens to the sled in Chapter 27? Why?
9. What causes Ben's watch to break? How does this affect him?
10. How does Ben respond when Ashley asks him if he has been tempted being with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Ben does not reveal the truth of his situation with Rachel to Ashley? In what ways does this prevent their connection? Would you have done the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of running in The Mountain Between Us. What compelled Ben to become a track star? Why did he stop pursuing track? How does his experience give him an advantage in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of The Mountain Between Us. Where in the narrative does the rising action occur? What is the climax of the story? What does the reader learn in the falling action and denouement?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)