|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben use, along with sticks, to make the bow in Chapter 23?
2. For how many days have Ben and Ashley been trapped in the wilderness after the crash in Chapter 24?
3. Where does Ben say that guys get their idea of what love ought to be in Chapter 24?
4. By what name does Ben refer to Rachel's doctor in Chapter 35?
5. How many miles does the road sign indicate there are to the next town in Chapter 42?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ben manage to find food for himself and Ashley in Chapter 34?
2. Why does Ashley give Ben meat that she has been hoarding along their journey?
3. What tools have been found at the A-frame that make Ben and Ashley's journey easier?
4. What do Ben and Ashley see on their 14th day after the crash that gives them hope?
5. What is ironic about the National Forest that Ben and Ashley are apparenly lost in?
6. What does Ben say about the birth of his children in his dictation to Rachel?
7. How does Ben respond when Ashley asks him if he has been tempted being with her?
8. What happens after Ben shoots the moose calf?
9. Why does Ben choose to shoot the calf instead of the mother moose?
10. What appears to be the primary reason for Ben's separation from his wife based on his dictations into the recorder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of imagery and symbolism in The Mountain Between Us. What are examples of similes and metaphors employed by the author? How do these literary devices help the reader gain insight into the setting and characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Ashley in The Mountain Between Us. How old is Ashley? What is her profession? What are the major actions that she takes in the novel? What are their repercussions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events that lead up to the plane crash in the novel. Where are the main characters traveling? Why are they traveling in this manner? What causes the crash?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)