|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles does the road sign indicate there are to the next town in Chapter 42?
2. What Tom Hanks movie does Ben describe in Chapter 31?
3. How many rabbits does Ben bring back from hunting in Chapter 34?
4. What does Ben claim to use to help him sleep in Chapter 24?
5. What does Ben use to create a harness for himself in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ashley insist Ben leave her behind? Why does he refuse?
2. How is Ben's visit with Grover's wife described?
3. What tools have been found at the A-frame that make Ben and Ashley's journey easier?
4. Why does the author allude to the film Jeremiah Johnson in the novel?
5. What does Ben say about the birth of his children in his dictation to Rachel?
6. What do Ben and Ashley see on their 14th day after the crash that gives them hope?
7. Why does Ben choose to shoot the calf instead of the mother moose?
8. What gift does Ben leave for Ashley at her wedding rehearsal dinner?
9. How is Ashley ultimately rescued?
10. How does Ben repair the makeshift sled after it has been damaged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of foreshadowing in The Mountain Between Us. What are some of the clues in the novel that indicate the realities that are revealed at the end of the story? Did the novel's ending surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of running in The Mountain Between Us. What compelled Ben to become a track star? Why did he stop pursuing track? How does his experience give him an advantage in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Ashley in The Mountain Between Us. How old is Ashley? What is her profession? What are the major actions that she takes in the novel? What are their repercussions?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)