|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ben manage to get back to Ashley with help in Chapter 45?
2. Who does Ben tell Ashley is on his way when she awakens in the hospital in Chapter 46?
3. Where does Ben hit the young moose with his arrow in Chapter 40?
4. What does Ben say the key is for that is attached to his recorder in Chapter 23?
5. For how many days have Ben and Ashley been trapped in the wilderness after the crash in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ben respond when Ashley asks him if he has been tempted being with her?
2. How is Ashley ultimately rescued?
3. What tools have been found at the A-frame that make Ben and Ashley's journey easier?
4. How does Ben repair the makeshift sled after it has been damaged?
5. What does the mother moose symbolize in the novel?
6. What is ironic about the National Forest that Ben and Ashley are apparenly lost in?
7. What tools do Ben and Ashley have at their disposal when they leave the crash site?
8. Why does the author allude to the film Jeremiah Johnson in the novel?
9. What appears to be the primary reason for Ben's separation from his wife based on his dictations into the recorder?
10. What happens to the sled in Chapter 27? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Grover in the novel. Who is Grover and what is his role in the story? What happens to Grover? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that lead up to the plane crash in the novel. Where are the main characters traveling? Why are they traveling in this manner? What causes the crash?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of isolation in the novel. How is this theme developed through character, setting, and symbolism? How does the author develop this theme through mood and tone?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)