|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ben do after his argument with Rachel in Chapter 37?
2. By the second midmorning after leaving the A-frame in the shed, Ben estimates that they have lost about how many feet in elevation?
3. How many miles does Ben estimate they will cut off their journey by going down the steep incline in Chapter 44?
4. What does Ben refer to as a place to hide while hunting in Chapter 38?
5. Where does Ben say that guys get their idea of what love ought to be in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ashley ultimately rescued?
2. Whom does Ben speak with about Ashley's condition at the hospital? How is her condition?
3. What gift does Ben leave for Ashley at her wedding rehearsal dinner?
4. What is ironic about the National Forest that Ben and Ashley are apparenly lost in?
5. What tools have been found at the A-frame that make Ben and Ashley's journey easier?
6. What appears to be the primary reason for Ben's separation from his wife based on his dictations into the recorder?
7. What tools do Ben and Ashley have at their disposal when they leave the crash site?
8. What causes Ben's watch to break? How does this affect him?
9. What does the mother moose symbolize in the novel?
10. What does the puzzle signify in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different narrative styles between the main plot line (Ben and Ashley's escape from the mountain) and Ben's narration to Rachel. How does the author differentiate between these narratives? What does this back-and-forth style reveal to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of foreshadowing in The Mountain Between Us. What are some of the clues in the novel that indicate the realities that are revealed at the end of the story? Did the novel's ending surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Ashley in The Mountain Between Us. How old is Ashley? What is her profession? What are the major actions that she takes in the novel? What are their repercussions?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)