|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two languages have found some purpose in international communications?
2. Who invented the crossword puzzle?
3. Why do other languages borrow English words and expressions?
4. What type of names go through an adaptive period to reach worldwide markets?
5. Which of the following languages has not been proposed as an international language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What English language issue does the author consider to be ironic?
2. Explain the almost futile attempts to produce current English language dictionaries.
3. Explain the role of immigrants to North America on the evolution of the English language.
4. What is the basis for the argument of making English an international language?
5. Name some less common word games.
6. What impact has American English had on the British vocabulary?
7. To what does the author attribute the misuse of English grammar?
8. Why are translations between English and Japanese especially difficult?
9. What considerations must businesses take into account when naming companies to go to market internationally?
10. Why are English speakers becoming a minority of single-language users globally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the impact of American immigrants to the English language? Take into account surnames, place names, and words assimilated into the American lexicography.
Essay Topic 2
What is the archaeological evidence that points to the evolution of human speech?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Great Vowel Shift. Where did it occur? When did it occur? What was its purpose? What was the outcome?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)