|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another area of concern regarding the state of the English language?
2. According to the author, what do most academies hand down about English grammar?
3. What is the second word game described by the author in Chapter 15?
4. What else is difficult to determine about the English language?
5. English is changed through _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to English, what other languages have been proposed as international languages?
2. How is the pronunciation of place names indicative of how English speakers have changed over time?
3. Name some less common word games.
4. What is the origin of the crossword puzzle?
5. What is the challenge of determining the actual number of words in the English language?
6. Explain any efforts to regulate the English language.
7. What is the author's opinion on who actually controls the English language?
8. What impact has American English had on the British vocabulary?
9. What is the basis for the argument of making English an international language?
10. To what does the author attribute the misuse of English grammar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences between pictographic languages and phonetic languages and give examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the series of attacks by other nations on Great Britain. Which groups attacked and what influences did they have on England, and ultimately, the English language?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Great Vowel Shift. Where did it occur? When did it occur? What was its purpose? What was the outcome?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)