|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an important benefit of the Asian pictograph languages?
2. What can be spelled in a variety of ways?
3. The author tends to think that English is special because of ___________________________.
4. In what time period does the event from #67 occur?
5. What is onomatopoeia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
2. What drawbacks are there in using the English language?
3. In what way does the author think varieties of English are influenced by social reasons?
4. Explain the impact that slurring of speech has on English pronunciation?
5. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
6. What two religious scholars are responsible for documenting language in England?
7. What was the Great Vowel Shift?
8. What is another method of explaining where words come from?
9. Explain what the author means by the creation of language areas.
10. What does the author say is the reason some English words are created?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the situation when more than one language exists within a country? Explain the challenges of living in and governing such situations.
Essay Topic 2
What is the archaeological evidence that points to the evolution of human speech?
Essay Topic 3
The regional differences and flux of the English language provided opportunities as well as challenges for English writers like Chaucer and Shakespeare. Explain why writers such as these could invent new words and essentially create a new English language.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)