|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were two champions for the simplification of English spelling?
2. What historical occurrence is explored in Chapter 6?
3. How can English be particularly complex for non-native English speakers?
4. For years, concern for spelling has been neglected over imposing what?
5. What is phonology?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
2. Explain the impact of the invasion of the Normans in England.
3. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
4. What seems to be a long-term benefit of a phonetic system as opposed to a pictograph system?
5. How can spelling in English be perceived as both simple and difficult?
6. What event prompted the usage of standardized spelling in England?
7. What is the dynamic of countries with more than one language?
8. What measures can people take when exact pronunciations are critical?
9. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
10. How did the English language evolve in the British Isles or what is now known as the United Kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the impact of American immigrants to the English language? Take into account surnames, place names, and words assimilated into the American lexicography.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the challenges of publishing a dictionary. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages to hard copy and digital versions. Can you offer any alternative solutions?
Essay Topic 3
What are the benefits that the English language offers its users? Take into account its significantly larger vocabulary and grammar complexities.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)