|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many English speakers promote the particular variety of English that they speak while ____________________ the dialects of speakers from other regions.
2. On what principle are cliches based?
3. What about the English language gives users greater range of expression?
4. What do the Asian languages have less of than other languages?
5. What helps a listener and speaker to use the correct word when in doubt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can spelling in English be perceived as both simple and difficult?
2. What measures can people take when exact pronunciations are critical?
3. What is another method of explaining where words come from?
4. What two religious scholars are responsible for documenting language in England?
5. Explain the impact of the invasion of the Normans in England.
6. What is a third method of explaining where words come from?
7. What is Noam Chomsky's position on how children learn language?
8. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
9. How was the Cro-Magnon man able to supersede the Neanderthal man in human development?
10. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regions of America become well known for their speech and language quirks. For example, the people in Baltimore, Maryland, are famous for slurring their speech. Name at least three other examples of geographically distinct language stylings.
Essay Topic 2
Building on language foundations, human speech spread throughout the world. Explain some of the commonalities and distinctions that mark the evolution of the English language.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences between pictographic languages and phonetic languages and give examples of each.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)