|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is onomatopoeia?
2. Who establishes a large presence in Northern England in the year 850?
3. In what American city do people speak with slurred words that make them almost impossible to understand?
4. How many new words did Shakespeare invent?
5. What else impacts the pronunciation of some words?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so interesting about the way human speech has spread around the world?
2. Explain the theories that languages are based in sound.
3. What drawbacks are there in using the English language?
4. What is a third method of explaining where words come from?
5. What was the Great Vowel Shift?
6. Explain the impact of the Viking invasion of England?
7. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
8. Explain the impact of the invasion of the Normans in England.
9. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
10. Why is learning the English language considered a large industry in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the influence of Native American, French and Spanish words on the English language as it moved to North America. Give ten examples of these influences from your own family, town, state, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the series of attacks by other nations on Great Britain. Which groups attacked and what influences did they have on England, and ultimately, the English language?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Samuel Johnson? What was his role in the development of the English language? What impact did his work have? Is his work still relevant today?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)