Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who establishes a large presence in Northern England in the year 850?
2. The differences between languages bring up questions about what?
3. When comparing American and British vocabulary, some terms hold their meanings while others _______________________.
4. What is phonology?
5. How many new words did Shakespeare invent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the merits of using the English language?
2. Why are English speakers becoming a minority of single-language users globally?
3. What is the background of Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. Explain the impact that slurring of speech has on English pronunciation?
5. What English language issue does the author consider to be ironic?
6. What considerations must businesses take into account when naming companies to go to market internationally?
7. What is another method of explaining where words come from?
8. To what does the author attribute the misuse of English grammar?
9. What is the author's position on many spelling and grammar rules?
10. Explain the almost futile attempts to produce current English language dictionaries.
Explain the challenges of publishing a dictionary. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages to hard copy and digital versions. Can you offer any alternative solutions?
Explain the differences between pictographic languages and phonetic languages and give examples of each.
What was the impact of American immigrants to the English language? Take into account surnames, place names, and words assimilated into the American lexicography.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)