|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Spain often engages in violence to protect its language?
2. In what American city do people speak with slurred words that make them almost impossible to understand?
3. Language issues tend to be __________________.
4. According to the author, some words are formed out of __________________.
5. For what is the Venerable Bede famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the author means by the creation of language areas.
2. Explain the impact of the invasion of the Normans in England.
3. In what way does the author think varieties of English are influenced by social reasons?
4. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
5. What two religious scholars are responsible for documenting language in England?
6. What are the merits of using the English language?
7. What irony does the author point out in Americans emulating British English?
8. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
9. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
10. How can spelling in English be perceived as both simple and difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the situation when more than one language exists within a country? Explain the challenges of living in and governing such situations.
Essay Topic 2
In many cases, languages go beyond national borders. Explain some of the situations where languages overlap geographically and can cause social and political divisions.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Great Vowel Shift. Where did it occur? When did it occur? What was its purpose? What was the outcome?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)