|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps a listener and speaker to use the correct word when in doubt?
2. English speakers then to think their language is ___________________.
3. Which country has been successful in protecting its language?
4. Words adopted into the English language already have ___________________.
5. What can be spelled in a variety of ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the proof of the power of the English language in the modern world?
2. How did the English language evolve in the British Isles or what is now known as the United Kingdom?
3. Explain the impact of the Viking invasion of England?
4. What are the merits of using the English language?
5. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
6. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
7. What seems to be a long-term benefit of a phonetic system as opposed to a pictograph system?
8. What is the dynamic of countries with more than one language?
9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of pictographic languages?
10. What is Noam Chomsky's position on how children learn language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences between pictographic languages and phonetic languages and give examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Great Vowel Shift. Where did it occur? When did it occur? What was its purpose? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
What are the benefits that the English language offers its users? Take into account its significantly larger vocabulary and grammar complexities.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)