Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a particular phonology is applied to adopted words?
2. The author finds that many languages _________________________.
3. Who is Noam Chomsky?
4. Who invades England in 1066?
5. In what time period does the event from #67 occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the author think varieties of English are influenced by social reasons?
2. What drawbacks are there in using the English language?
3. What impact has American English had on the British vocabulary?
4. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
5. What considerations must businesses take into account when naming companies to go to market internationally?
6. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
7. What measures can people take when exact pronunciations are critical?
8. Explain any efforts to regulate the English language.
9. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
10. One of the most interesting words created in North America was "O.K." What is the background behind this new word?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the debate on the challenges of learning the English language. Take into account spelling, pronunciation, grammar rules, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Great Vowel Shift. Where did it occur? When did it occur? What was its purpose? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Samuel Johnson? What was his role in the development of the English language? What impact did his work have? Is his work still relevant today?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)