|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows a speaker to express class status?
2. Who is Noam Chomsky?
3. How can English be particularly complex for non-native English speakers?
4. All English speakers can understand each other despite ______________________________.
5. Who invades England in 1066?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
2. What is the dynamic of countries with more than one language?
3. How can spelling in English be perceived as both simple and difficult?
4. What is so interesting about the way human speech has spread around the world?
5. What is another method of explaining where words come from?
6. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
7. What two religious scholars are responsible for documenting language in England?
8. What measures can people take when exact pronunciations are critical?
9. What is the frustration of attempting to organize information about English in North America?
10. Explain what the author means by the creation of language areas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the archaeological evidence that points to the evolution of human speech?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of censorship in America today. What are U.S. citizens' rights under the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?
Essay Topic 3
What is the situation when more than one language exists within a country? Explain the challenges of living in and governing such situations.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)