|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chomsky think are innate in children?
2. Chapter 6 addresses the changing pronunciation of which language over time?
3. In whose work can inconsistent spelling be found due to the event of #67?
4. The author decides it is ______________ to divide the U.S. into distinct accents.
5. What about the English language gives users greater range of expression?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the impact of the invasion of the Normans in England.
2. How was the Cro-Magnon man able to supersede the Neanderthal man in human development?
3. What irony does the author point out in Americans emulating British English?
4. How can spelling in English be perceived as both simple and difficult?
5. What is another method of explaining where words come from?
6. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
7. What are the advantages and disadvantages of pictographic languages?
8. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
9. What is the proof of the power of the English language in the modern world?
10. Why is learning the English language considered a large industry in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the series of attacks by other nations on Great Britain. Which groups attacked and what influences did they have on England, and ultimately, the English language?
Essay Topic 2
What is the archaeological evidence that points to the evolution of human speech?
Essay Topic 3
In many cases, languages go beyond national borders. Explain some of the situations where languages overlap geographically and can cause social and political divisions.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)