|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose work can inconsistent spelling be found due to the event of #67?
2. Many English speakers promote the particular variety of English that they speak while ____________________ the dialects of speakers from other regions.
3. All English speakers can understand each other despite ______________________________.
4. Who were two champions for the simplification of English spelling?
5. In Chapter 4, the author traces the development of English in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say is the reason some English words are created?
2. In what way does the author think varieties of English are influenced by social reasons?
3. What is the correlation between tracing swear words and tracing the history of language overall?
4. Explain the impact of the Viking invasion of England?
5. What is the background of Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English Dictionary?
6. To what does the author attribute the misuse of English grammar?
7. What seems to be a long-term benefit of a phonetic system as opposed to a pictograph system?
8. What is the author's final position on the future of the English language?
9. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
10. How did the English language evolve in the British Isles or what is now known as the United Kingdom?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the debate on the challenges of learning the English language. Take into account spelling, pronunciation, grammar rules, etc.
Essay Topic 2
What are the benefits that the English language offers its users? Take into account its significantly larger vocabulary and grammar complexities.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences between pictographic languages and phonetic languages and give examples of each.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)