|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Noam Chomsky?
2. On what principle are cliches based?
3. What system allows English speakers to communicate efficiently in writing?
4. What historical occurrence is explored in Chapter 6?
5. Language differences within a country are often ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
2. What is Noam Chomsky's position on how children learn language?
3. What is the result of attempting to draw demarcations of accents throughout the U.S.?
4. What two religious scholars are responsible for documenting language in England?
5. Explain what the author means by the creation of language areas.
6. What does the author say is the reason some English words are created?
7. Why is learning the English language considered a large industry in the world?
8. What is so interesting about the way human speech has spread around the world?
9. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
10. Explain the impact that slurring of speech has on English pronunciation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Great Vowel Shift. Where did it occur? When did it occur? What was its purpose? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Explain noted linguist Noam Chomsky's argument that children have inherent "ground rules" that help them learn their language. What other theories exist to explain how children learn to speak?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences between pictographic languages and phonetic languages and give examples of each.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)