Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a particular phonology is applied to adopted words?
2. The author finds that many languages _________________________.
3. Who is Noam Chomsky?
4. Who invades England in 1066?
5. In what time period does the event from #67 occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the author think varieties of English are influenced by social reasons?
2. What drawbacks are there in using the English language?
3. What impact has American English had on the British vocabulary?
4. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
5. What considerations must businesses take into account when naming companies to go to market internationally?
6. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
7. What measures can people take when exact pronunciations are critical?
8. Explain any efforts to regulate the English language.
9. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
10. One of the most interesting words created in North America was "O.K." What is the background behind this new word?
Essay Topic 1
Explain noted linguist Noam Chomsky's argument that children have inherent "ground rules" that help them learn their language. What other theories exist to explain how children learn to speak?
Essay Topic 2
Building on language foundations, human speech spread throughout the world. Explain some of the commonalities and distinctions that mark the evolution of the English language.
Essay Topic 3
In many cases, languages go beyond national borders. Explain some of the situations where languages overlap geographically and can cause social and political divisions.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)