|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Language has the ability to do what?
2. What language is most commonly chosen by international businesses?
3. Regional trends have common accent features but no speakers who _________________________________.
4. English in the United Kingdom is more _____________ than it is in the United States.
5. On what does a child's vocabulary rely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the proof of the power of the English language in the modern world?
2. How was the Cro-Magnon man able to supersede the Neanderthal man in human development?
3. What is the dynamic of countries with more than one language?
4. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
5. Explain what the author means by the creation of language areas.
6. How did the English language evolve in the British Isles or what is now known as the United Kingdom?
7. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
8. How does the author account for the changing pronunciation of English over time?
9. Explain the impact of the invasion of the Normans in England.
10. What drawbacks are there in using the English language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain at least three of the ways that new words are created in the English language. Be sure to take into account historic creations as well as modern methods.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of censorship in America today. What are U.S. citizens' rights under the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Venerable Bede? What notable book did he write? What is the impact of his work on the English language?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)