|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The English writing system developed from what?
2. The author discusses the elements that English lacks but that ______________________________.
3. What is an important benefit of the Asian pictograph languages?
4. What brings some sort of uniformity to spelling and language?
5. Languages around the world contain common ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the frustration of attempting to organize information about English in North America?
2. Explain the impact of the Viking invasion of England?
3. What seems to be a long-term benefit of a phonetic system as opposed to a pictograph system?
4. What measures can people take when exact pronunciations are critical?
5. Explain what the author means by the creation of language areas.
6. Explain the impact that slurring of speech has on English pronunciation?
7. What is a third method of explaining where words come from?
8. What was the Great Vowel Shift?
9. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
10. What are the merits of using the English language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Great Vowel Shift. Where did it occur? When did it occur? What was its purpose? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
The regional differences and flux of the English language provided opportunities as well as challenges for English writers like Chaucer and Shakespeare. Explain why writers such as these could invent new words and essentially create a new English language.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of censorship in America today. What are U.S. citizens' rights under the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)