|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other than America and England, what country speaks English primarily?
2. What else is difficult to determine about the English language?
(a) How slang develops
(b) What is determined to be proper
(c) How many words the average person knows
(d) How each word is altered by region
3. What is the second word game described by the author in Chapter 15?
4. Many modern swear words come from _________________________.
(b) uneducated people
(d) polite speech
5. From whom did North American settlers borrow words?
(a) Native Americans, Spanish and French
(b) Creole, Spanish and French
(c) Native Americans, Creole and Celtic
(d) Native Americans, Spanish and Celtic
Short Answer Questions
1. Words that enter American and British vocabularies generally come from what country?
2. British surnames are the product of confusing pronunciations and ____________________.
3. What does the author note about spoken swear words throughout English literature?
4. What has prompted the English-only movement in the U.S.?
5. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's final position on the future of the English language?
2. What is the challenge of determining the actual number of words in the English language?
3. What is the background of Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. Why are translations between English and Japanese especially difficult?
5. What were some of the transitions of the English language as it migrated to North America?
6. What is the basis for the argument of making English an international language?
7. What has been the naming process for places in England and America?
8. What considerations must businesses take into account when naming companies to go to market internationally?
9. What is the origin of the crossword puzzle?
10. Describe the evolution of swear words.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)