|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. English grammar rules are based on what?
(c) Oxford University guidelines
(d) Old English
2. Words that enter American and British vocabularies generally come from what country?
3. American surnames can be traced to ____________________ names.
4. What does the author feel there is a lack of among English native speakers?
(a) To learn other languages
(b) To teach English to foreigners
(c) To read documents in Old English
(d) To learn new words each year
5. What type of names go through an adaptive period to reach worldwide markets?
Short Answer Questions
1. Many modern swear words come from _________________________.
2. What shows up in versions of early dictionaries?
3. What do the British borrow from American English?
4. In what year is the dictionary mentioned in #113 printed?
5. Why do other languages borrow English words and expressions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the evolution of swear words.
2. What is the background of Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English Dictionary?
3. Why are translations between English and Japanese especially difficult?
4. Name some less common word games.
5. What impact has American English had on the British vocabulary?
6. What is the challenge of determining the actual number of words in the English language?
7. What were some of the transitions of the English language as it migrated to North America?
8. What is the author's final position on the future of the English language?
9. What considerations must businesses take into account when naming companies to go to market internationally?
10. Explain the role of immigrants to North America on the evolution of the English language.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)