|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is difficult to determine the _______________________ in the English language.
(a) quality of words
(b) number of dialects
(c) number of dictionaries
(d) number of words
2. What word game does the author note first in Chapter 15?
(b) Spelling bee
(c) Crossword puzzle
3. What does the author note about spoken swear words throughout English literature?
(a) They are too vulgar to write down
(b) They have regional variations
(c) They are largely unrecorded
(d) They are derived from proper English
4. What is the result of the shift mentioned in #150?
(a) The dictionary cannot keep up with the changes
(b) New words have to be invented
(c) The words are dropped from everyday use
(d) Modern names look or are spelled in contrast to original meanings
5. American surnames can be traced to ____________________ names.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shows up in versions of early dictionaries?
2. What is another characteristic of spoken swear words?
3. The English language is left to ___________ and public figures.
4. In what year is the dictionary mentioned in #113 printed?
5. How many words were contained in the dictionary mentioned in #113?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's opinion on who actually controls the English language?
2. Explain any efforts to regulate the English language.
3. What English language issue does the author consider to be ironic?
4. Describe the evolution of swear words.
5. To what does the author attribute the misuse of English grammar?
6. In addition to English, what other languages have been proposed as international languages?
7. What is the challenge of determining the actual number of words in the English language?
8. What is the source of many swear words throughout history?
9. What were some of the transitions of the English language as it migrated to North America?
10. What impact has American English had on the British vocabulary?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)