|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dictionary that follows Webster's forty years later?
(a) Oxford English Dictionary
(b) Harvard English Dictionary
(c) Franklin's English Dictionary
(d) Mensa English Dictionary
2. What do the British borrow from American English?
(b) street slang
(c) grammatical styles and word usages
3. Other than America and England, what country speaks English primarily?
4. What does the author consider to be unreliable in monitoring English word usage?
(a) Spelling books
(d) Foreign language textbooks
5. Why do other languages borrow English words and expressions?
(a) To become trendier
(b) To become more popular
(c) To become more international
(d) To illustrate the conditions of modern life
Short Answer Questions
1. What marketing challenge must companies address when considering working abroad?
2. In addition to organization, what other issues arise when publishing a dictionary?
3. In addition to people names, what else has had a similar naming process in both England and America?
4. English is changed through _____________________.
5. What can be misused even by experts on the topic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are translations between English and Japanese especially difficult?
2. What English language issue does the author consider to be ironic?
3. Describe the evolution of swear words.
4. What is the author's position on many spelling and grammar rules?
5. What is the origin of the crossword puzzle?
6. What is the source of many swear words throughout history?
7. What considerations must businesses take into account when naming companies to go to market internationally?
8. Why are English speakers becoming a minority of single-language users globally?
9. In addition to English, what other languages have been proposed as international languages?
10. What does the author state as one of the oldest English language dictionaries?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)