|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is the Venerable Bede famous?
(a) Preserving religious rituals on scrolls
(b) Writing a book on the History of England
(c) Printing the Bible in French
(d) Defending Britain from the Romans
2. According to the author, some words are formed out of __________________.
(c) other words
(d) guttural noises
3. Which part of Spain often engages in violence to protect its language?
(b) Basque region
(c) Valencian region
4. What is DARE?
(a) Dictionary of American Real Estate
(b) Diary of Any Regional Experts
(c) Dictionary of All Regional English
(d) Dictionary of American Regional English
5. What happens when a particular phonology is applied to adopted words?
(a) They become more rhythmic
(b) They become easier to understand
(c) They become almost unrecognizable in their original language
(d) They become more lyrical
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author use to show the development of human speech?
2. Which country has been successful in protecting its language?
3. The author decides it is ______________ to divide the U.S. into distinct accents.
4. Languages around the world contain common ______________________.
5. What is common to most English speakers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the frustration of attempting to organize information about English in North America?
2. Explain the theories that languages are based in sound.
3. How was the Cro-Magnon man able to supersede the Neanderthal man in human development?
4. What is the proof of the power of the English language in the modern world?
5. How did the English language evolve in the British Isles or what is now known as the United Kingdom?
6. Explain the impact of the invasion of the Normans in England.
7. What is so interesting about the way human speech has spread around the world?
8. What is another method of explaining where words come from?
9. Explain the impact that slurring of speech has on English pronunciation?
10. What seems to be a long-term benefit of a phonetic system as opposed to a pictograph system?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)