|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There is debate about the simplicity of English spelling and _________________________.
(d) vowel sounds
2. What language is most commonly chosen by international businesses?
3. What is the difference between Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man?
(a) Hair color
(b) Walking speed
(d) The place of the larnyx in the throat
4. Who establishes a large presence in Northern England in the year 850?
(a) The Romans
(b) The Russians
(c) The Danish Vikings
(d) The French
5. All English speakers can understand each other despite ______________________________.
(a) age group
(b) geographical differences
(c) financial status
(d) differences in vocabulary and pronunciation
Short Answer Questions
1. The Celts are strongly influenced by which culture?
2. What type of languages are Chinese and Japanese
3. What helps a listener and speaker to use the correct word when in doubt?
4. Who tends to invent new words in the present day?
5. What is usually important to users of other languages that the English language expresses with one general category word?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another method of explaining where words come from?
2. What was the Great Vowel Shift?
3. How did the English language evolve in the British Isles or what is now known as the United Kingdom?
4. What is the dynamic of countries with more than one language?
5. Explain what the author means by the creation of language areas.
6. What seems to be a long-term benefit of a phonetic system as opposed to a pictograph system?
7. What is Noam Chomsky's position on how children learn language?
8. What are the advantages and disadvantages of pictographic languages?
9. What measures can people take when exact pronunciations are critical?
10. Explain how the language of one people can can change over time.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)