|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author what is the most striking example of a word with multiple meanings?
2. Who are often responsible for coining new words?
3. What allows a speaker to express class status?
(b) Sentence structure
4. Which group surprisingly makes grammar and word mistakes?
(d) Famous authors
5. Language has the ability to do what?
(a) Expand and grow
(b) Go beyond national borders
(c) Unite global communities
(d) Create peace among countries
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, some words are formed out of __________________.
2. Who were two champions for the simplification of English spelling?
3. What does the English language's large vocabulary mean to users?
4. There is debate about the simplicity of English spelling and _________________________.
5. What about the English language gives users greater range of expression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a third method of explaining where words come from?
2. What is the frustration of attempting to organize information about English in North America?
3. Explain the impact of the Viking invasion of England?
4. How does the English language compare with the development and growth of other global languages?
5. What is the dynamic of countries with more than one language?
6. Explain the impact that slurring of speech has on English pronunciation?
7. What is the result of attempting to draw demarcations of accents throughout the U.S.?
8. Explain the theories that languages are based in sound.
9. What does the author say is the reason some English words are created?
10. Finally, what is the fourth method of explaining where words come from?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)