|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. English grammar rules are based on what?
(b) Old English
(d) Oxford University guidelines
2. Why are the speakers in #140 becoming a minority?
(a) Because of the difficulty in learning the language
(b) Because of the limited applications for the language
(c) Because of the interest in studying English around the world
(d) Because of the financial investment necessary to study
3. Why can translations between countries be considered difficult?
(a) People are conditioned to communicate within their specific culture.
(b) People are basically too lazy to learn something new
(c) Adults are too hard to train in a new language
(d) Countries do not teach children who are more amenable to new language
4. What does the author note about spoken swear words throughout English literature?
(a) They have regional variations
(b) They are derived from proper English
(c) They are too vulgar to write down
(d) They are largely unrecorded
5. The author feels that the English-only movement is more about ______________________ than preservation and advancement.
6. In what countries is English studied?
(b) Countries all over the world
(c) North America
7. How do the British typically view American pronunciation and vocabulary?
(a) They want to destroy them
(b) They are open to anything American
(c) They try to emulate them
(d) They look down on them
8. What else is difficult to determine about the English language?
(a) How slang develops
(b) What is determined to be proper
(c) How many words the average person knows
(d) How each word is altered by region
9. American names adapt and change to suit _______________________ pronunciation and spelling patterns.
10. What is the mission of the English-only movement in the U.S.?
(a) Finance its own dictionary
(b) Find funding for the study of the English language
(c) Make English the official language
(d) Find funding to teach English in third world nations
11. From what context do many swear words come?
12. What country attempts to control language by its academic system instead of following social forces?
(a) United States
13. What marketing challenge must companies address when considering working abroad?
(b) Direct mail
(c) Web site click thrus
(d) Tag lines
14. According to the author, what do most academies hand down about English grammar?
(a) Illogical rules
(b) Repeated mistakes
(c) A sense of history
(d) Important guidelines
15. English is the language of _____________________.
(d) the people who speak it
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words were contained in the dictionary mentioned in #113?
2. British pronunciation and vocabulary is generally viewed to have high ________________ in North America.
3. A trend seen on both sides of the Atlantic is that of _________________________.
4. What is another major language issue in North America?
5. In addition to people names, what else has had a similar naming process in both England and America?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)