|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. American surnames can be traced to ____________________ names.
2. Translations between English and ______________ are particularly difficult.
3. What is one of the most interesting words created in North America?
4. What is one of the organizations that has failed as a grammar regulatory force?
(a) Harvard University
(b) United Nations
(c) Oxford University
(d) Academie Francaise
5. The English language is left to ___________ and public figures.
6. American names adapt and change to suit _______________________ pronunciation and spelling patterns.
7. Why is it nearly impossible for a dictionary to keep pace with the English language?
(a) Slang words drop out of use
(b) Regional words are always changing
(c) It is not printed often enough
(d) It grows at such a fast pace
8. How many words did Noah Webster's dictionary contain to surpass the one mentioned in #113?
9. In what year is the dictionary mentioned in #113 printed?
10. What shows up in versions of early dictionaries?
(d) The author's personality
11. What language is used to communicate across borders?
12. The author discusses the process of development of the British _____________ from the Middle Ages to the present.
(a) first name
(c) middle name
13. Chapter 15 addresses the history of what?
(a) word games
(b) alphabet songs
(d) spelling bees
14. Historians show real _______________ by piecing together a record of the human community without definitive proof.
15. The author feels that the English-only movement is more about ______________________ than preservation and advancement.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, the English language will __________ as it has throughout history.
2. How many words were contained in the dictionary mentioned in #113?
3. Which of the following languages has not been proposed as an international language?
4. English is changed through _____________________.
5. What does the author feel there is a lack of among English native speakers?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)