Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author discusses the process of development of the British _____________ from the Middle Ages to the present.
(a) first name
(b) middle name
2. What is another major language issue in North America?
(a) No dictionaries
(b) Regional colloquialisms
(c) No printing presses
(d) Assimilation of immigrant groups
3. Who wrote the longest-standing example of an English dictionary?
(a) Ben Franklin
(b) Noah Webster
(c) Samuel Johnson
(d) G. & C. Merriam Co.
4. What language is used to communicate across borders?
5. The tendency to change names and pronunciations occurs _____________________.
(d) In Britain and America
6. British surnames are the product of confusing pronunciations and ____________________.
(d) word combinations
7. In addition to organization, what other issues arise when publishing a dictionary?
8. The author feels that the English-only movement is more about ______________________ than preservation and advancement.
9. How many words did Noah Webster's dictionary contain to surpass the one mentioned in #113?
10. What does the author note about spoken swear words throughout English literature?
(a) They are too vulgar to write down
(b) They have regional variations
(c) They are largely unrecorded
(d) They are derived from proper English
11. What occurs when English speaking world leaders are forced to rely on translators?
(a) Lag in translation
(b) Gross misunderstandings
(c) Errors in translation
(d) Decisions are postponed
12. Which speakers are becoming a minority of single-language users around the world?
(a) French speakers
(b) Italian speakers
(c) German speakers
(d) English speakers
13. What are the risks of being unaware of international translations of company names and messages?
(a) Being negative or offensive
(b) Being perceived as too expensive
(c) Being misunderstood
(d) Targeting the wrong prospects
14. American surnames can be traced to ____________________ names.
15. What is another area of concern regarding the state of the English language?
(a) The lack of education resources
(b) The fragmenting of different forms of English
(c) The decline of proper English
(d) The lack of adoption globally
Short Answer Questions
1. The English language is left to ___________ and public figures.
2. English is a language of constant ___________________.
3. Other than America and England, what country speaks English primarily?
4. From what context do many swear words come?
5. An American car license plate can be an example of what?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)