|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author note about spoken swear words throughout English literature?
(a) They are too vulgar to write down
(b) They have regional variations
(c) They are derived from proper English
(d) They are largely unrecorded
2. English is the language of _____________________.
(c) the people who speak it
3. What is another major language issue in North America?
(a) Assimilation of immigrant groups
(b) No printing presses
(c) Regional colloquialisms
(d) No dictionaries
4. The English language is left to ___________ and public figures.
5. What country attempts to control language by its academic system instead of following social forces?
(c) United States
6. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
(a) Slang terms
(d) American words
7. English is changed through _____________________.
(a) global technology
(b) university committees
(c) social channels
(d) academic experts
8. American names adapt and change to suit _______________________ pronunciation and spelling patterns.
9. The tendency to change names and pronunciations occurs _____________________.
(a) In Britain and America
10. Translations between English and ______________ are particularly difficult.
11. What shows up in versions of early dictionaries?
(b) The author's personality
12. Other than America and England, what country speaks English primarily?
13. What else is difficult to determine about the English language?
(a) How many words the average person knows
(b) How each word is altered by region
(c) What is determined to be proper
(d) How slang develops
14. Why are the speakers in #140 becoming a minority?
(a) Because of the financial investment necessary to study
(b) Because of the interest in studying English around the world
(c) Because of the difficulty in learning the language
(d) Because of the limited applications for the language
15. English grammar rules are based on what?
(a) Oxford University guidelines
(b) Old English
Short Answer Questions
1. Words that enter American and British vocabularies generally come from what country?
2. Who invented the crossword puzzle?
3. According to the author what will happen when English comes into its own as a modern language of international importance?
4. What did North American immigrants do with their native languages?
5. Many words that were once considered taboo are now considered to be ______________________.
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)