|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the risks of being unaware of international translations of company names and messages?
(a) Being negative or offensive
(b) Being perceived as too expensive
(c) Being misunderstood
(d) Targeting the wrong prospects
2. What else is difficult to determine about the English language?
(a) How many words the average person knows
(b) How slang develops
(c) What is determined to be proper
(d) How each word is altered by region
3. Original names from _______________ or Native American times have slowly shifted in spelling and pronunciation.
4. From what context do many swear words come?
5. In addition to people names, what else has had a similar naming process in both England and America?
(a) Place names
(b) Animal names
(c) Street names
(d) Insect names
6. From what industries do new words in American and Britain come?
(a) Entertainment and technology
(b) Entertainment and finance
(c) Sociology and technology
(d) Entertainment and academia
7. What is one of the organizations that has failed as a grammar regulatory force?
(a) Harvard University
(b) Oxford University
(c) Academie Francaise
(d) United Nations
8. What is the mission of the English-only movement in the U.S.?
(a) Find funding for the study of the English language
(b) Find funding to teach English in third world nations
(c) Make English the official language
(d) Finance its own dictionary
9. Translations between English and ______________ are particularly difficult.
10. The author discusses the process of development of the British _____________ from the Middle Ages to the present.
(a) middle name
(c) first name
11. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
(b) Slang terms
(d) American words
12. Historians show real _______________ by piecing together a record of the human community without definitive proof.
13. What is the dictionary that follows Webster's forty years later?
(a) Franklin's English Dictionary
(b) Oxford English Dictionary
(c) Mensa English Dictionary
(d) Harvard English Dictionary
14. Which speakers are becoming a minority of single-language users around the world?
(a) Italian speakers
(b) English speakers
(c) German speakers
(d) French speakers
15. American names adapt and change to suit _______________________ pronunciation and spelling patterns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author note about spoken swear words throughout English literature?
2. In what countries is English studied?
3. From whom did North American settlers borrow words?
4. Many words that were once considered taboo are now considered to be ______________________.
5. Other than America and England, what country speaks English primarily?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)