|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. English is the language of _____________________.
(c) the people who speak it
2. What is the dictionary that follows Webster's forty years later?
(a) Mensa English Dictionary
(b) Harvard English Dictionary
(c) Oxford English Dictionary
(d) Franklin's English Dictionary
3. In addition to organization, what other issues arise when publishing a dictionary?
4. What shows up in versions of early dictionaries?
(d) The author's personality
5. In addition to people names, what else has had a similar naming process in both England and America?
(a) Street names
(b) Animal names
(c) Insect names
(d) Place names
6. What is the result of the shift mentioned in #150?
(a) The dictionary cannot keep up with the changes
(b) New words have to be invented
(c) The words are dropped from everyday use
(d) Modern names look or are spelled in contrast to original meanings
7. What element guides generational language?
(c) Pop culture
8. The English language is left to ___________ and public figures.
9. Which country is used as an example of the difficulties of international communication?
10. In what year was the crossword puzzle invented?
11. What country attempts to control language by its academic system instead of following social forces?
(d) United States
12. Historians show real _______________ by piecing together a record of the human community without definitive proof.
13. Chapter 13 addresses what traditions in the English-speaking world?
14. English is changed through _____________________.
(a) social channels
(b) university committees
(c) academic experts
(d) global technology
15. What does the author feel there is a lack of among English native speakers?
(a) To teach English to foreigners
(b) To read documents in Old English
(c) To learn new words each year
(d) To learn other languages
Short Answer Questions
1. What marketing challenge must companies address when considering working abroad?
2. According to the author what will happen when English comes into its own as a modern language of international importance?
3. When did the English language go through many changes?
4. British surnames are the product of confusing pronunciations and ____________________.
5. From what context do many swear words come?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)