|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Words that enter American and British vocabularies generally come from what country?
2. According to the author, the English language will __________ as it has throughout history.
3. How do Americans view British pronunciation and vocabulary?
(a) They ignore it
(b) They think it is too affected
(c) They try to imitate it
(d) They want to destroy it
4. An American car license plate can be an example of what?
5. What is one of the most interesting words created in North America?
6. What did North American immigrants do with their native languages?
(a) They modified them radically
(b) They held to them steadfastly
(c) They abandoned them
(d) They modified them somewhat
7. Like other words, swear words ____________________________.
(a) are not appropriate for all ages
(b) have different meanings to different people
(c) have adapted over time
(d) are not appropriate for all regions
8. What language is used to communicate across borders?
9. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
(a) Slang terms
(b) American words
10. When did the English language go through many changes?
(a) When it moved to North America
(b) After Viking invasions of England
(c) After the Bubonic Plague ravaged Europe
(d) During the American Revolution
11. What is the dictionary that follows Webster's forty years later?
(a) Franklin's English Dictionary
(b) Harvard English Dictionary
(c) Mensa English Dictionary
(d) Oxford English Dictionary
12. The author discusses the process of development of the British _____________ from the Middle Ages to the present.
(c) middle name
(d) first name
13. What is the mission of the English-only movement in the U.S.?
(a) Make English the official language
(b) Finance its own dictionary
(c) Find funding for the study of the English language
(d) Find funding to teach English in third world nations
14. Chapter 13 addresses what traditions in the English-speaking world?
15. English is a language of constant ___________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did North American settlers borrow words?
2. How many words did Noah Webster's dictionary contain to surpass the one mentioned in #113?
3. What word game does the author note first in Chapter 15?
4. Why do other languages borrow English words and expressions?
5. How do the British typically view American pronunciation and vocabulary?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)