|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An American car license plate can be an example of what?
2. How do the British typically view American pronunciation and vocabulary?
(a) They want to destroy them
(b) They are open to anything American
(c) They look down on them
(d) They try to emulate them
3. English cannot be confined to arbitrary rules or ____________________.
4. What are the risks of being unaware of international translations of company names and messages?
(a) Being negative or offensive
(b) Being misunderstood
(c) Targeting the wrong prospects
(d) Being perceived as too expensive
5. In what year is the dictionary mentioned in #113 printed?
6. A trend seen on both sides of the Atlantic is that of _________________________.
(a) whispering swear words in public
(b) fining for swear words written in public
(c) restricting swear words in public
(d) punishing for swear words said in public
7. Many words that were once considered taboo are now considered to be ______________________.
(a) slightly offensive
(d) quite innocent
8. Who wrote the longest-standing example of an English dictionary?
(a) Ben Franklin
(b) G. & C. Merriam Co.
(c) Noah Webster
(d) Samuel Johnson
9. What does the author consider to be unreliable in monitoring English word usage?
(a) Spelling books
(d) Foreign language textbooks
10. When did the English language go through many changes?
(a) When it moved to North America
(b) During the American Revolution
(c) After the Bubonic Plague ravaged Europe
(d) After Viking invasions of England
11. What is the mission of the English-only movement in the U.S.?
(a) Find funding to teach English in third world nations
(b) Finance its own dictionary
(c) Find funding for the study of the English language
(d) Make English the official language
12. From what context do many swear words come?
13. What marketing challenge must companies address when considering working abroad?
(b) Direct mail
(c) Tag lines
(d) Web site click thrus
14. What is the dictionary that follows Webster's forty years later?
(a) Franklin's English Dictionary
(b) Harvard English Dictionary
(c) Oxford English Dictionary
(d) Mensa English Dictionary
15. Words that enter American and British vocabularies generally come from what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. American surnames can be traced to ____________________ names.
2. What else is difficult to determine about the English language?
3. What is another major language issue in North America?
4. In what year was the crossword puzzle invented?
5. It is difficult to determine the _______________________ in the English language.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)