|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
(c) Slang terms
(d) American words
2. When did the English language go through many changes?
(a) When it moved to North America
(b) During the American Revolution
(c) After the Bubonic Plague ravaged Europe
(d) After Viking invasions of England
3. How do Americans view British pronunciation and vocabulary?
(a) They want to destroy it
(b) They try to imitate it
(c) They ignore it
(d) They think it is too affected
4. What is another area of concern regarding the state of the English language?
(a) The lack of adoption globally
(b) The fragmenting of different forms of English
(c) The lack of education resources
(d) The decline of proper English
5. In what year was the crossword puzzle invented?
6. What does the author consider to be unreliable in monitoring English word usage?
(a) Spelling books
(d) Foreign language textbooks
7. What is the dictionary that follows Webster's forty years later?
(a) Mensa English Dictionary
(b) Harvard English Dictionary
(c) Oxford English Dictionary
(d) Franklin's English Dictionary
8. What are the risks of being unaware of international translations of company names and messages?
(a) Being negative or offensive
(b) Targeting the wrong prospects
(c) Being perceived as too expensive
(d) Being misunderstood
9. Why is it nearly impossible for a dictionary to keep pace with the English language?
(a) Slang words drop out of use
(b) It grows at such a fast pace
(c) Regional words are always changing
(d) It is not printed often enough
10. Which country is used as an example of the difficulties of international communication?
11. What marketing challenge must companies address when considering working abroad?
(b) Web site click thrus
(c) Tag lines
(d) Direct mail
12. Who invented the crossword puzzle?
(a) A second grade teacher
(b) An American newspaper editor
(c) A nurse
(d) A university professor
13. Historians show real _______________ by piecing together a record of the human community without definitive proof.
14. The author discusses the process of development of the British _____________ from the Middle Ages to the present.
(b) middle name
(c) first name
15. According to the author, what do most academies hand down about English grammar?
(a) Important guidelines
(b) Illogical rules
(c) Repeated mistakes
(d) A sense of history
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs when English speaking world leaders are forced to rely on translators?
2. What element guides generational language?
3. Which of the following languages has not been proposed as an international language?
4. According to the author, the English language will __________ as it has throughout history.
5. It is difficult to determine the _______________________ in the English language.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)