|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chomsky think are innate in children?
(a) Rhyming capabilities
(b) Several language barriers
(c) "Ground rules" that help them learn language
(d) The tendencies to be dyslexic
2. What can make learning English unnecessarily difficult?
(a) Tense switching
(b) Grammar rules
(c) The alphabet
3. Language issues tend to be __________________.
4. When comparing American and British vocabulary, some terms hold their meanings while others _______________________.
(a) get new spellings
(b) die off
(c) take on regional colloquialisms
(d) gain a new spin
5. For what is the Venerable Bede famous?
(a) Defending Britain from the Romans
(b) Writing a book on the History of England
(c) Preserving religious rituals on scrolls
(d) Printing the Bible in French
6. Chapter 6 addresses the changing pronunciation of which language over time?
7. What about the English language gives users greater range of expression?
(a) More vowel sounds
(b) Past and future tenses
(c) Active and passive voices
(d) More letters of the alphabet
8. What language and culture does the answer to #44 bring to England?
9. What historical occurrence is explored in Chapter 6?
(a) The Johnstown Flood
(b) The Great Depression
(c) The Great Vowel Shift
(d) The Kennedy Assassination
10. Why could the Neanderthals not keep up with the Cro-Magnons?
(a) They couldn't communicate with the same complexity
(b) They could not run as fast
(c) Their brains were not as big
(d) They did not have fire
11. What is the difference between Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man?
(b) The place of the larnyx in the throat
(c) Hair color
(d) Walking speed
12. Who lost control of the United Kingdom under Roman occupation?
(a) Celtic tribes
(b) The royal family
(c) Germanic tribes
(d) The Vikings
13. Because of the event of #67, the works of which two authors are especially difficult to understand?
(a) Chaucer and Dante
(b) Chaucer and Hemingway
(c) Chaucer and Shakespeare
(d) Dante and Shakespeare
14. What helps a listener and speaker to use the correct word when in doubt?
(a) A friend
(c) A dictionary
(d) Trial and error
15. What does the author use to show the development of human speech?
(a) Archaeological evidence
(c) The Bible
(d) Cave drawings
Short Answer Questions
1. During Norman rule, which words are appropriate for the upper class to use?
2. It is an interesting ____________ that Americans attempt to imitate the British by using words and pronunciations that are not British at all or are no longer used.
3. In what American city do people speak with slurred words that make them almost impossible to understand?
4. What is phonology?
5. What else impacts the pronunciation of some words?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)