|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is DARE?
(a) Dictionary of American Regional English
(b) Dictionary of All Regional English
(c) Dictionary of American Real Estate
(d) Diary of Any Regional Experts
2. The author discusses the elements that English lacks but that ______________________________.
(a) Could stand improvement
(b) Other languages have
(c) Really don't make a difference
(d) Make it a superior language regardless
3. Chapter 6 addresses the changing pronunciation of which language over time?
4. What happens when a group of native speakers dies out?
(a) The language lives on in documents
(b) A new language is formed
(c) The language lives on in verbal communications
(d) The language dies
5. Languages around the world contain common ______________________.
(a) verb tenses
6. What historical occurrence is explored in Chapter 6?
(a) The Kennedy Assassination
(b) The Great Vowel Shift
(c) The Johnstown Flood
(d) The Great Depression
7. The author finds that many languages _________________________.
(a) die out eventually
(b) overlap geographically
(c) have many similarities
(d) are difficult to learn
8. On what principle are cliches based?
(a) Words changing meaning over time
(b) Increased use of double entendres
(c) Language becoming less formal
(d) People becoming more clever
9. Many English speakers promote the particular variety of English that they speak while ____________________ the dialects of speakers from other regions.
10. When does modern English begin to emerge?
(a) The 20th century
(b) The 19th century
(c) The 12th century
(d) The 15th century
11. From what do most languages derive?
(a) South America
(b) Cro-Magnon utterances
(c) Sign language
(d) Indo-European language family
12. English in the United Kingdom is more _____________ than it is in the United States.
13. In whose work can inconsistent spelling be found due to the event of #67?
14. In the English language, what has a range of possibilities not available in other languages?
(b) A vowel system
(d) A wide alphabet
15. In Chapter 4, the author traces the development of English in what country?
(a) United Kingdom
Short Answer Questions
1. Language has the ability to do what?
2. Because of the event of #67, the works of which two authors are especially difficult to understand?
3. What is phonology?
4. Who is Noam Chomsky?
5. The pronunciations of many words in America reflect what speakers think British speakers say and _______________________.
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)