|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The differences between languages bring up questions about what?
(a) Their purpose
(b) Their origins and place within the human story
(c) Their clarity
(d) Their ease of use
2. The author decides it is ______________ to divide the U.S. into distinct accents.
3. Regional trends have common accent features but no speakers who _________________________________.
(a) can teach proper English
(b) all speak in exactly the same way
(c) can emulate someone else
(d) can be emulated
4. The English language has _____________________________.
(a) had minimal change
(b) served as the foundation for most languages
(c) changed considerably
(d) remained constant
5. On what principle are cliches based?
(a) Words changing meaning over time
(b) Increased use of double entendres
(c) People becoming more clever
(d) Language becoming less formal
6. Which words are appropriate for the common people to use?
7. From which tribe does England get its name?
(a) The Englees
(b) The Engles
(c) The Angels
(d) The Angles
8. What is DARE?
(a) Dictionary of American Regional English
(b) Dictionary of All Regional English
(c) Dictionary of American Real Estate
(d) Diary of Any Regional Experts
9. The pronunciations of many words in America reflect what speakers think British speakers say and _______________________.
(a) tries to do the opposite
(b) attempts to imitate them
(c) rejects them outright
(d) ignores them
10. What does Chomsky think are innate in children?
(a) Rhyming capabilities
(b) Several language barriers
(c) "Ground rules" that help them learn language
(d) The tendencies to be dyslexic
11. What system allows English speakers to communicate efficiently in writing?
12. Why could the Neanderthals not keep up with the Cro-Magnons?
(a) Their brains were not as big
(b) They couldn't communicate with the same complexity
(c) They did not have fire
(d) They could not run as fast
13. The author discusses the elements that English lacks but that ______________________________.
(a) Could stand improvement
(b) Other languages have
(c) Make it a superior language regardless
(d) Really don't make a difference
14. Who establishes a large presence in Northern England in the year 850?
(a) The Russians
(b) The French
(c) The Romans
(d) The Danish Vikings
15. What does the English language's large vocabulary mean to users?
(a) More letters of the alphabet
(b) More vowels
(c) More precise expression
(d) More spelling words
Short Answer Questions
1. For years, concern for spelling has been neglected over imposing what?
2. Who is the official authority over the English language?
3. English in the United Kingdom is more _____________ than it is in the United States.
4. Who are often responsible for coining new words?
5. What allows a speaker to express class status?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)