|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does English manage to avoid that are present in other languages?
(b) The complexities of address
(c) Tense shifts
2. What happens when a particular phonology is applied to adopted words?
(a) They become more rhythmic
(b) They become more lyrical
(c) They become almost unrecognizable in their original language
(d) They become easier to understand
3. When comparing American and British vocabulary, some terms hold their meanings while others _______________________.
(a) die off
(b) take on regional colloquialisms
(c) get new spellings
(d) gain a new spin
4. What does the author use to show the development of human speech?
(b) Archaeological evidence
(c) Cave drawings
(d) The Bible
5. What is often cited as an equalizing force in English?
(a) Latin derivatives
(b) The lack of grammatical gender
(c) Sentence structure
6. The English writing system developed from what?
(b) Markings on trees
(c) Etchings on leaves
(d) Cave drawings
7. According to the author, some words are formed out of __________________.
(a) other words
(c) guttural noises
8. According to the author, what is easy or difficult depending on the point of view?
(d) Spelling in English
9. Because of the event of #67, the works of which two authors are especially difficult to understand?
(a) Dante and Shakespeare
(b) Chaucer and Dante
(c) Chaucer and Hemingway
(d) Chaucer and Shakespeare
10. What can make learning English unnecessarily difficult?
(a) Tense switching
(b) Grammar rules
(c) The alphabet
11. Languages around the world contain common ______________________.
(d) verb tenses
12. Who invades England in 1066?
(a) The Normans
(b) The Romans
(c) The French
(d) The Norwegians
13. What system allows English speakers to communicate efficiently in writing?
14. On what does a child's vocabulary rely?
(b) Exposure to the speech of the primary caregiver
(d) Geographic area
15. What brings some sort of uniformity to spelling and language?
(a) The printing press
(b) The Constitution
(d) McGuffy's Reader
Short Answer Questions
1. Physical communication strategies include proximity between speakers, hand gestures and ______________________.
2. English speakers then to think their language is ___________________.
3. What type of languages are Chinese and Japanese
4. Chapter 7 addresses the _________________ examples of ways English is spoken throughout the world.
5. Who establishes a large presence in Northern England in the year 850?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)