|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16 The Future of English.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author use to show the development of human speech?
(b) Cave drawings
(c) Archaeological evidence
(d) The Bible
2. English cannot be confined to arbitrary rules or ____________________.
3. What are the risks of being unaware of international translations of company names and messages?
(a) Being misunderstood
(b) Targeting the wrong prospects
(c) Being perceived as too expensive
(d) Being negative or offensive
4. The Celts are strongly influenced by which culture?
5. Who tries to organize information about how people speak?
(b) Speech therapists
Short Answer Questions
1. What country attempts to control language by its academic system instead of following social forces?
2. In addition to organization, what other issues arise when publishing a dictionary?
3. What type of languages are Chinese and Japanese
4. What language is most commonly chosen by international businesses?
5. The author discusses the elements that English lacks but that ______________________________.
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)