|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 Names.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is DARE?
(a) Diary of Any Regional Experts
(b) Dictionary of American Regional English
(c) Dictionary of American Real Estate
(d) Dictionary of All Regional English
2. What do the British borrow from American English?
(b) grammatical styles and word usages
(c) street slang
3. Physical communication strategies include proximity between speakers, hand gestures and ______________________.
(b) head movements
(c) facial expression
4. The English writing system developed from what?
(a) Cave drawings
(b) Etchings on leaves
(d) Markings on trees
5. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
(a) Slang terms
(c) American words
Short Answer Questions
1. There is debate about the simplicity of English spelling and _________________________.
2. English is a language of constant ___________________.
3. When did the English language go through many changes?
4. Who is the Venerable Bede?
5. According to the author, varieties of English are heavily influenced by what?
This section contains 179 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)