|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11 Old World New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tends to invent new words in the present day?
(a) People in technology and religion
(b) People in technology and the arts
(c) People in religion and government
(d) People in technology and government
2. In the English language, what has a range of possibilities not available in other languages?
(b) A vowel system
(d) A wide alphabet
3. The author tends to think that English is special because of ___________________________.
(a) its flexibility of use
(b) its lyrical sound
(c) its inherent ease of learning
(d) its verb use
4. What is DARE?
(a) Dictionary of All Regional English
(b) Dictionary of American Real Estate
(c) Dictionary of American Regional English
(d) Diary of Any Regional Experts
5. What is another major language issue in North America?
(a) Regional colloquialisms
(b) Assimilation of immigrant groups
(c) No dictionaries
(d) No printing presses
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words were contained in the dictionary mentioned in #113?
2. What is the difference between Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man?
3. What is onomatopoeia?
4. What is the study of the English language considered to be?
5. Many English speakers promote the particular variety of English that they speak while ____________________ the dialects of speakers from other regions.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)