|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11 Old World New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Celts are strongly influenced by which culture?
2. Language issues tend to be __________________.
3. What do the Asian languages have less of than other languages?
(b) sound-symbol connection
4. What is onomatopoeia?
(a) The predecessor of Cro-Magnon man
(b) A culinary trend
(c) A new insect genus
(d) A word which represents the sound of something
5. Who is the official authority over the English language?
(a) Daniel Webster
(b) No one
(c) The Queen of England
(d) The Prime Minister of England
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the English language's large vocabulary mean to users?
2. From whom did North American settlers borrow words?
3. The differences between languages bring up questions about what?
4. How many words does the dictionary mentioned in #117 contain?
5. What brings some sort of uniformity to spelling and language?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)