|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7 Varieties of English.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can make learning English unnecessarily difficult?
(a) The alphabet
(b) Grammar rules
(d) Tense switching
2. In what American city do people speak with slurred words that make them almost impossible to understand?
(a) Phoenix, Arizona
(b) Baltimore, Maryland
(c) Cincinnati, Ohio
(d) Ann Arbor, Maryland
3. The English language has _____________________________.
(a) had minimal change
(b) changed considerably
(c) served as the foundation for most languages
(d) remained constant
4. The author discusses the elements that English lacks but that ______________________________.
(a) Make it a superior language regardless
(b) Could stand improvement
(c) Other languages have
(d) Really don't make a difference
5. What does Chomsky think are innate in children?
(a) Several language barriers
(b) The tendencies to be dyslexic
(c) Rhyming capabilities
(d) "Ground rules" that help them learn language
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man?
2. What does English manage to avoid that are present in other languages?
3. Chapter 6 addresses the changing pronunciation of which language over time?
4. It is an interesting ____________ that Americans attempt to imitate the British by using words and pronunciations that are not British at all or are no longer used.
5. What profession encourages expressions that make numbers and letters clearer when communicating by radio?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)