|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7 Varieties of English.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Words adopted into the English language already have ___________________.
(a) Dictionary listings
(b) Adaptations from other languages
(c) Ease of use indicators
(d) Prior approval for use
2. From what do most languages derive?
(a) South America
(b) Cro-Magnon utterances
(c) Indo-European language family
(d) Sign language
3. How many new words did Shakespeare invent?
(a) Over five hundred
(b) Over two hundred
(c) Over two thousand
(d) Over one thousand
4. During Norman rule, which words are appropriate for the upper class to use?
5. What does the English language's large vocabulary mean to users?
(a) More vowels
(b) More spelling words
(c) More letters of the alphabet
(d) More precise expression
Short Answer Questions
1. The differences between languages bring up questions about what?
2. Who tends to invent new words in the present day?
3. What about the English language gives users greater range of expression?
4. When does modern English begin to emerge?
5. What helps a listener and speaker to use the correct word when in doubt?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)