|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7 Varieties of English.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When comparing American and British vocabulary, some terms hold their meanings while others _______________________.
(a) take on regional colloquialisms
(b) get new spellings
(c) die off
(d) gain a new spin
2. The pronunciations of many words in America reflect what speakers think British speakers say and _______________________.
(a) ignores them
(b) tries to do the opposite
(c) attempts to imitate them
(d) rejects them outright
3. What profession encourages expressions that make numbers and letters clearer when communicating by radio?
(a) Football coaches
(b) Ship captains
(c) Cab drivers
4. Language issues tend to be __________________.
5. What does the English language's large vocabulary mean to users?
(a) More letters of the alphabet
(b) More spelling words
(c) More precise expression
(d) More vowels
Short Answer Questions
1. From what do most languages derive?
2. The author tends to think that English is special because of ___________________________.
3. In addition to linguistic differences in languages, there are also ________________________.
4. What happens when a group of native speakers dies out?
5. According to the author, varieties of English are heavily influenced by what?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)