|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 The First Thousand Years.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Physical communication strategies include proximity between speakers, hand gestures and ______________________.
(a) facial expression
(d) head movements
2. What does the author use to show the development of human speech?
(b) Cave drawings
(c) Archaeological evidence
(d) The Bible
3. What is often cited as an equalizing force in English?
(b) The lack of grammatical gender
(c) Sentence structure
(d) Latin derivatives
4. What does English manage to avoid that are present in other languages?
(b) Tense shifts
(c) The complexities of address
5. What is the difference between Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man?
(b) Walking speed
(c) The place of the larnyx in the throat
(d) Hair color
Short Answer Questions
1. How can English be particularly complex for non-native English speakers?
2. Which part of Spain often engages in violence to protect its language?
3. What language is most commonly chosen by international businesses?
4. The author discusses the elements that English lacks but that ______________________________.
5. What language and culture does the answer to #44 bring to England?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)