|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 Global Language.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is often cited as an equalizing force in English?
(b) Latin derivatives
(c) The lack of grammatical gender
(d) Sentence structure
2. What does English manage to avoid that are present in other languages?
(c) Tense shifts
(d) The complexities of address
3. The author discusses the elements that English lacks but that ______________________________.
(a) Could stand improvement
(b) Really don't make a difference
(c) Other languages have
(d) Make it a superior language regardless
4. What is the difference between Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man?
(a) Walking speed
(c) Hair color
(d) The place of the larnyx in the throat
5. What is usually important to users of other languages that the English language expresses with one general category word?
(c) Groups of words
Short Answer Questions
1. How do some linguists think that children learn their languages?
2. What can make learning English unnecessarily difficult?
3. What language is most commonly chosen by international businesses?
4. The author states that there are characteristics in the English language that ______________________________.
5. What did Sir William Jones recognize?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)