|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 Global Language.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author use to show the development of human speech?
(a) The Bible
(b) Cave drawings
(d) Archaeological evidence
2. Which part of Spain often engages in violence to protect its language?
(b) Basque region
(d) Valencian region
3. What is usually important to users of other languages that the English language expresses with one general category word?
(c) Groups of words
4. Why could the Neanderthals not keep up with the Cro-Magnons?
(a) They could not run as fast
(b) Their brains were not as big
(c) They did not have fire
(d) They couldn't communicate with the same complexity
5. On what does a child's vocabulary rely?
(a) Geographic area
(b) Exposure to the speech of the primary caregiver
Short Answer Questions
1. The author finds that many languages _________________________.
2. How can English be particularly complex for non-native English speakers?
3. From what do most languages derive?
4. What can make learning English unnecessarily difficult?
5. What happens when a group of native speakers dies out?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)