Quiz: Chapter 5 Where Words Come From
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
Directions: Circle the correct answer.
1. Who are often responsible for coining new words?
2. On what principle are cliches based?
a) Language becoming less formal
b) Increased use of double entendres
c) Words changing meaning over time
d) People becoming more clever
3. According to the author what is the most striking example of a word with multiple meanings?
4. What happens when a particular phonology is applied to adopted words?
a) They become more lyrical
b) They become easier to understand
c) They become almost unrecognizable in their original language
d) They become more rhythmic
5. Who tends to invent new...
This section contains 259 words|
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)