|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14 Swearing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is the Venerable Bede famous?
(a) Preserving religious rituals on scrolls
(b) Writing a book on the History of England
(c) Printing the Bible in French
(d) Defending Britain from the Romans
2. Censoring words is more prevalent in which country?
(c) United States
3. What else impacts the pronunciation of some words?
(a) Lazy speakers
(b) Speech impediments
(c) Regional pronunciations
(d) Southern accents
4. What is the study of the English language considered to be?
(a) A waste of time
(b) A large industry in the world
(c) A necessary evil
(d) A requirment in all schools
5. How many new words did Shakespeare invent?
(a) Over two thousand
(b) Over two hundred
(c) Over one thousand
(d) Over five hundred
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, regional accents ___________.
2. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
3. Why is it nearly impossible for a dictionary to keep pace with the English language?
4. What type of languages are Chinese and Japanese
5. A trend seen on both sides of the Atlantic is that of _________________________.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)