|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14 Swearing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Americans view British pronunciation and vocabulary?
(a) They ignore it
(b) They think it is too affected
(c) They want to destroy it
(d) They try to imitate it
2. What does the author consider to be unreliable in monitoring English word usage?
(a) Foreign language textbooks
(c) Spelling books
3. From whom did North American settlers borrow words?
(a) Creole, Spanish and French
(b) Native Americans, Creole and Celtic
(c) Native Americans, Spanish and French
(d) Native Americans, Spanish and Celtic
4. What has been added to the British vocabulary in spite of academic protests?
(b) American words
(d) Slang terms
5. Who were two champions for the simplification of English spelling?
(a) Ben Franklin and John Adams
(b) Ben Franklin and Guttenberg
(c) Ben Franklin and Noah Webster
(d) Thomas Jefferson and Noah Webster
Short Answer Questions
1. All English speakers can understand each other despite ______________________________.
2. Censoring words is more prevalent in which country?
3. What marketing challenge must companies address when considering working abroad?
4. Many English speakers promote the particular variety of English that they speak while ____________________ the dialects of speakers from other regions.
5. What profession encourages expressions that make numbers and letters clearer when communicating by radio?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)