|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 Where Words Come From.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are often responsible for coining new words?
2. What does the author use to show the development of human speech?
(a) Archaeological evidence
(b) The Bible
(c) Cave drawings
3. During Norman rule, which words are appropriate for the upper class to use?
4. What language and culture does the answer to #44 bring to England?
5. According to the author what is the most striking example of a word with multiple meanings?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is often cited as an equalizing force in English?
2. How can English be particularly complex for non-native English speakers?
3. What is phonology?
4. What is onomatopoeia?
5. What allows a speaker to express class status?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)