|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 Where Words Come From.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group surprisingly makes grammar and word mistakes?
(c) Famous authors
2. The author states that there are characteristics in the English language that ______________________________.
(a) are intuitive
(b) are easy to learn
(c) are lacking in other languages
(d) are fundamental
3. What is the difference between Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man?
(b) Walking speed
(c) The place of the larnyx in the throat
(d) Hair color
4. English speakers then to think their language is ___________________.
(a) easy to master
(c) difficult to learn
5. What is the study of the English language considered to be?
(a) A requirment in all schools
(b) A waste of time
(c) A large industry in the world
(d) A necessary evil
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Spain often engages in violence to protect its language?
2. Who is Noam Chomsky?
3. What did Sir William Jones recognize?
4. Language has the ability to do what?
5. From which tribe does England get its name?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)