|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 Where Words Come From.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Language has the ability to do what?
(a) Expand and grow
(b) Create peace among countries
(c) Unite global communities
(d) Go beyond national borders
2. In addition to linguistic differences in languages, there are also ________________________.
(a) sign language supplements
(b) intuitive abilities
(c) learning disabilities
(d) cultural differences
3. The English language has _____________________________.
(a) remained constant
(b) had minimal change
(c) changed considerably
(d) served as the foundation for most languages
4. Who invades England in 1066?
(a) The French
(b) The Normans
(c) The Norwegians
(d) The Romans
5. Who lost control of the United Kingdom under Roman occupation?
(a) The royal family
(b) Celtic tribes
(c) The Vikings
(d) Germanic tribes
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, some words are formed out of __________________.
2. The Celts are strongly influenced by which culture?
3. There is debate about the simplicity of English spelling and _________________________.
4. What is usually important to users of other languages that the English language expresses with one general category word?
5. Who is the Venerable Bede?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)