|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 English as a World Language.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do other languages borrow English words and expressions?
(a) To illustrate the conditions of modern life
(b) To become trendier
(c) To become more international
(d) To become more popular
2. Who lost control of the United Kingdom under Roman occupation?
(a) Germanic tribes
(b) The royal family
(c) The Vikings
(d) Celtic tribes
3. The English writing system developed from what?
(a) Cave drawings
(b) Markings on trees
(c) Etchings on leaves
4. From which tribe does England get its name?
(a) The Angels
(b) The Englees
(c) The Engles
(d) The Angles
5. In what countries is English studied?
(b) Countries all over the world
(d) North America
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two languages have found some purpose in international communications?
2. Why can translations between countries be considered difficult?
3. What language is used to communicate across borders?
4. In Chapter 4, the author traces the development of English in what country?
5. For what is the Venerable Bede famous?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)