|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 English as a World Language.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Celts are strongly influenced by which culture?
2. Which speakers are becoming a minority of single-language users around the world?
(a) German speakers
(b) English speakers
(c) Italian speakers
(d) French speakers
3. What system allows English speakers to communicate efficiently in writing?
4. In what countries is English studied?
(c) Countries all over the world
(d) North America
5. What does the author feel there is a lack of among English native speakers?
(a) To learn other languages
(b) To read documents in Old English
(c) To teach English to foreigners
(d) To learn new words each year
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can translations between countries be considered difficult?
2. When does modern English begin to emerge?
3. In Chapter 4, the author traces the development of English in what country?
4. What is an important benefit of the Asian pictograph languages?
5. Who establishes a large presence in Northern England in the year 850?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)