|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sailing Master think was launched from Mote Prime towards the jump point?
2. With the presentation of the "demon class" of Motie, the Commission decides that the Moties practice what form of population control?
3. Who predicted the humans would offer to bring the Moties into the Empire with severe limitations?
4. In the story Charlie tells, the condemned man is given a year to make what happen?
5. When Rod arrives on New Scotland, he is immediately taken where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Moties not concerned about Kevin and his dislike of their counteroffer?
2. Why do the senior officers want to see the tape of the lifeboats' destruction?
3. What does the Admiral do to send the Commissioners off his ship?
4. After the funeral service for the fallen men, how does Kevin help Rod?
5. How does curiosity affect the three men who crashed on Mote Prime?
6. What are the different beliefs about the Moties held by the scientists and the military men?
7. What is the story Charlie tells about the condemned man?
8. Who is in charge in Castle City?
9. What is inside the museum where the three men who crashed on Mote Prime gather?
10. What is the key point the discussion of the war council revolves around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the theory of survival of the fittest? How is it proven, or disproved, through the actions of the characters in the book? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
According to the text, what is a Crazy Eddie, and why is it an important concept?
Essay Topic 3
How did Rod's upbringing prepare him for contact with an alien culture and the social and political impacts involved? Cite examples from the book in support of your answer.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)