|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the MacArthur going to move further away from the Motie ship after the miniature Motie escaped?
2. Who is the person that finds differences between the Brown and Brown/White Moties?
3. Small beings who fix things if left a gift is given what name on the MacArthur?
4. Every picture in the museum is of a Motie doing what?
5. A Master Motie is what color?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the humans on Mote Prime recalled to the ship via secret code?
2. What is the blindness that afflicts the humans when they visit the Motie zoo?
3. What do the mummies from the asteroid display?
4. How are the human scientists not being objective observers regarding the Moties?
5. What, finally, impresses everyone that the escaped Moties on the MacArthur pose a problem?
6. What are the first hints about the incredible age of the Motie civilization?
7. What does Hardy point out about the different viewpoints on the ship?
8. What does the visual record in The Church of Him show the Navy men?
9. How does Sally raise the tension level surrounding what to do with the alien pod?
10. What are Admiral Kutuzov's orders regarding the MacArthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the humans eventually put together the truth about the Moties? What leads the humans to believe the Moties are hiding something? What is the truth? What does this explain about the Motie culture? Use examples from the text in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is anthropomorphism? How does anthropomorphism influence the actions of the characters in this story? Provide at least three examples from the text in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do the humans try to make something that is completely unknown known? What types of activities do they engage in? How is this different from what the Moties do? Cite at least three examples from the text in support of your answer.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)