|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Motie assigned to Bury has a Master who is interested in what?
2. How are the humans on the planet recalled to the ships?
3. Who volunteers to unload the artifacts from the shuttle to the MacArthur?
4. What kinds of civilizations has Sally found while digging on the planet?
5. What class is the Motie who first spots the Empire ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reactions of the humans to the reproduction between the small Moties after knowing that one changed from female to male?
2. Why are the humans on Mote Prime recalled to the ship via secret code?
3. What is one ability of humans that confuses the Moties?
4. What words describe Rod Blaine in his first appearance in the book?
5. How does Sally raise the tension level surrounding what to do with the alien pod?
6. What are the first hints about the incredible age of the Motie civilization?
7. Why does the Motie Engineer confuse the humans she first meets with?
8. What does faster than light travel mean for the humans in the story?
9. How do the individuals on board the MacArthur demonstrate a class-system like the Motie Engineer?
10. Why are the humans having such a difficult time initiating communication with the Motie Engineer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are a prologue and epilogue? What are their purposes? How do the prologue and epilogue meet fail in their purposes in this book? Cite specific examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the theory of survival of the fittest? How is it proven, or disproved, through the actions of the characters in the book? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples from the text in support of your answer, explain the main motivation for the Moties choices and behavior during their interactions with humans.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)