|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rank does Whitbred hold?
2. Whitbred finds out that the Moties can predict when Murcheson's Eye will do what?
3. Who is the person that finds differences between the Brown and Brown/White Moties?
4. What word do the humans use to describe the atmosphere on the Motie planet?
5. Who volunteers to unload the artifacts from the shuttle to the MacArthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the humans on Mote Prime recalled to the ship via secret code?
2. What is the primary purpose of the dinner party in relation to the plot of the story?
3. Why did the Motie Engineer bring the smaller Moties on the human ship?
4. What does the visual record in The Church of Him show the Navy men?
5. How are the scientists anthropomorphizing the Moties?
6. Why does the Motie Engineer confuse the humans she first meets with?
7. What is the blindness that afflicts the humans when they visit the Motie zoo?
8. What do the mummies from the asteroid display?
9. How does the third person narrator help the story in Chapter 14?
10. How is the urgency of the local Navy headquarters made clear in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the conflict between science and the military have in the story? What influence does that have on the mission of the MacArthur and the Lenin and on the Commission? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the MacArthur a character? How is the MacArthur an object? What is the importance of this distinction for the story? Cite specific examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Citing examples from the book, explain in what ways the characterizations of the aliens are more complex than the characterizations of the humans.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)