|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While bringing the pod on board, what happened to the MacArthur?
2. The Moties are directed, by their Master, to find out about what human ability?
3. Whitbred finds out that the Moties can predict when Murcheson's Eye will do what?
4. Who invites the Moties onto the cutter?
5. What word do the humans use to describe the atmosphere on the Motie planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the mummies from the asteroid display?
2. What emotions does Rod feel when he learns the alien is dead inside the pod?
3. The MacArthur's departure and approach to the new jump point highlight what conflict?
4. How do the individuals on board the MacArthur demonstrate a class-system like the Motie Engineer?
5. Why does the Motie Engineer confuse the humans she first meets with?
6. What is the primary purpose of the dinner party in relation to the plot of the story?
7. What are Admiral Kutuzov's orders regarding the MacArthur?
8. What is one of Rod's flaws?
9. Why are the humans having such a difficult time initiating communication with the Motie Engineer?
10. How is the urgency of the local Navy headquarters made clear in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Motie's idea of solutions to problems? How is that different from the Mediator's idea? What does this mean for the Motie's interactions with humans? Use at least three examples from the book in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the conflict between science and the military have in the story? What influence does that have on the mission of the MacArthur and the Lenin and on the Commission? Use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the theory of survival of the fittest? How is it proven, or disproved, through the actions of the characters in the book? Use specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)