|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reed's first swing drop stink onto the floor like?
2. What is the title of chapter thirteen?
3. What is Squint's full name?
4. Why does Homer say they call his town Smelt?
5. What does Homer think Squint we do to him and his brother when he storms into his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting situation does Homer find himself in in this section?
2. How does Homer save Samuel's life in this section?
3. How does Homer describe the calm feeling he feels as he and Smelt get closer to the mine?
4. Why does Squint become angry with Homer in this section?
5. What is Homer's opinion of his Uncle?
6. Summarize chapter nine.
7. Summarize chapter twelve.
8. What does Homer overhear Squint and Corny talking about?
9. How does Homer think Harold will cope in the army?
10. What is the Underground Railroad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Homer's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Homer hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Homer ideas about life?
3. How has Homer's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does fortune play a big part in Homer finding his brother? Do the think the fortune he encounters takes away the tension in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How has the death of Homer and Harold's mother effected the two boys? How would there lives be different if their mother would have survived?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)