|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Homer say Smelt looks like in the dark?
2. What did the meanest man in Bangor used to do for fun?
3. Why does Smelt say Reed should put down his weapon?
4. What do Smelt's hard little eyes brighten up like?
5. Where does Harold think him and Homer could find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harold describe life working at the logging camp?
2. What does Homer know about people that go to war?
3. What story does Homer tell Mrs. Bean about the snake?
4. Summarize chapter twelve.
5. How does Mr. Brewster help the slaves?
6. How does Homer describe Jebediah Brewster?
7. How does Homer think Harold will cope in the army?
8. What is Homer's opinion of his Uncle?
9. How does Homer describe Mr. Mr Brewster's pit?
10. How does Homer describe the calm feeling he feels as he and Smelt get closer to the mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Homer's opinion of slavery? Is Homer's views on slavery realistic considering how little he has seen of life?
Essay Topic 2
What does Philbrick say about slavery? How does he use the main characters to express his view?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does fortune play a big part in Homer finding his brother? Do the think the fortune he encounters takes away the tension in the story?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)