|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the meanest man in Bangor used to do for fun?
2. Where does Samuel Reed say he was born?
3. What does Reed's first swing drop stink onto the floor like?
4. What have Stink and Smelt built a shelter out of?
5. What does Mrs. Bean suggest made Homer talk so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Homer describe the calm feeling he feels as he and Smelt get closer to the mine?
2. What story does Homer tell Mrs. Bean about the snake?
3. What is the Underground Railroad?
4. Why does Homer think his situation with his Uncle was similar to the situation of the slaves?
5. What conflicting situation does Homer find himself in in this section?
6. Summarize chapter twelve.
7. How does Homer describe Stink Mullins?
8. What is Homer's opinion of his Uncle?
9. How does Homer think Harold will cope in the army?
10. What does Mr. Brewster say are Homer's options?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Homer find the truth in this section? How does his narration change when he finds the truth? Why does Homer embellish so much on the truth at the beginning of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Homer's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Homer hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Homer ideas about life?
3. How has Homer's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)