|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Squint laughing like when Homer gets the stone?
2. What does Homer say Tourmaline sounds like?
3. Why is it illegal for Harold to join the army?
4. What does Smelt say Homer has outlived?
5. Why does Corny think Squint is clever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Brewster say are Homer's options?
2. Why does Squint become angry with Homer in this section?
3. How does Brewster say the whites express their fears of blacks?
4. What conflicting situation does Homer find himself in in this section?
5. How does Squint get back at Harold?
6. What does Homer know about people that go to war?
7. How does Mr. Brewster help the slaves?
8. Summarize chapter nine.
9. How does Harold describe life working at the logging camp?
10. What is Homer's opinion of his Uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does fortune play a big part in Homer finding his brother? Do the think the fortune he encounters takes away the tension in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is Homer's opinion of slavery? Is Homer's views on slavery realistic considering how little he has seen of life?
Essay Topic 3
What were the main problems the south had with each other? How does the author express these problems through the characters?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)