|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ukridge live?
2. How many puppies are in the group that Ukridge thinks he can train?
3. What does Wilfred do for a living?
4. In "A Bit of Luck for Mabe,l" where had Ukridge joined the social world?
5. Captain Jack brags about being experienced with ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the characters in "The Amazing Hat Mystery" described?
2. What scheme does Ukridge come up with in the story "Buttercup Day"?
3. What does Freddie do in "Fate" to rouse Mavis' jealousy?
4. How does Ukridge ruin his chances with Mabel in "A Bit of Luck for Mabel"?
5. How does Archibald disguise himself in "The Reverent Wooing of Archibald"?
6. What is the effect of the tonic Augustine takes in "Mulliner's Buck-U-Uppo"?
7. How does fate step in to ensure Teddy gets injured in "Ukridge's Accident Syndicate"?
8. Why does Mavis leave Freddie in "Fate"?
9. In "The Ordeal of Osbert Mulliner," why does Bashford become afraid of Osbert?
10. How did Freddie develop his dislike for cats as explained in "Farewell to All Cats"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character Stanley Featherstonehaugh Ukridge. What are his defining character traits? In which stories is he found? What takes place in these stories? Why is Ukridge considered a schemer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wodehouse's use of the plot device 'deus ex machina'. Which stories contain this technique? Why might Wodehouse have used this technique? How does this plot device affect the tone and pace of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the pursuit of wealth in "The Most of P.G. Wodehouse." Who are some characters who are in pursuit of money or other material goods? Does Wodehouse depict this in a comedic or serious tone? Are these characters usually successful or unsuccessful in their pursuit?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)