|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stars in the movie that the narrator of "Trouble with a Battery" tries to discuss with the prostitute?
2. What does not appear to be one of Tony and Billy's concerns when they steal the corpse?
3. What business does Marie in "A Lovely Love Affair" run?
4. What does Bukowski claim to be doing with Tito and Baby to the police officer?
5. About whom does Bukowski speak when he is with Wendy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tito and Baby.
2. What leads up to Bukowski never seeing Jeff again in "A Drinking Partner?"
3. At the end of the story, what is revealed as the reason for the narrator's presence at the bar, and what does this suggest about his feelings on the whole encounter?
4. What is the fate of the president after the surgeries are completed?
5. What happens when Bukowski decides to not correct the visitors' assumption that he himself is Andre?
6. Describe Martin Blanchard.
7. What happens to Blanchard after the attack?
8. What are Henry Mason's opinions about artists?
9. What does Bukowski mean when he disagrees with Herb's assessment that the schoolchildren who were killed in the explosion never got laid?
10. Describe Herb and Talbot's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Bukowski connect homosexuality with success? What is significant about his respect for the people who are openly homosexual? Despite this, what is Bukowski's own relationship with homosexuality? Why does it seem to make him uncomfortable? Consider how this is reflected in the following stories: "The Gut-Wringing Machine," "The Day We Talked About James Thurber," and "The Murder of Ramon Vasquez."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of beauty in "The Most Beautiful Woman in Town." What is significant about Cass's attractiveness and her attempts to deflect from it? What is important about her attraction to Bukowski? How does Bukowski feel about Cass? How does her suicide reflect the disconnect between appreciating her looks and detesting them all at once? How is Bukowski able to reconcile his opinions on attractiveness? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depictions of abusive relationships in the following format:
Part 1) Tanya and Von Brashlitz.
Part 2) Vicki and Bukowski.
Part 3) Tony and Bill taking advantage of the dead woman's body.
Part 4) Infidelity, as seen in "3 Women" and "Trouble with a Battery."
Part 5) Henry and Sarah from "Six Inches."
Develop a clear thesis statement on this subject and cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)