|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bukowski, when is the only time one should bet on a closer during a horse race?
2. What is Borst doing when his house is invaded by friends?
3. Where do the women go the morning after Bukowski has slept with each of them in "3 Women?"
4. For whom does Sanchez's lover name herself?
5. What does Bukowski witness in Texas as a result of someone insulting the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cass self-mutilate?
2. What is the purpose of the Satisfactory Help Agency?
3. Describe Bukowski's relationship with Vicki.
4. How does Bukowski find Gloria Westhaven?
5. Describe Borst and his living situation.
6. Who is Kid Stardust and what is his purpose?
7. Why is Cass drawn to Bukowski?
8. Describe operations at Joe and Cherry's newspaper.
9. How does Henry survive after killing Sarah with a hat pin?
10. Describe the events that lead up to Tanya's demise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose a brief essay about violence in Bukowski's stories. Be sure to develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Consider, in particular, how Bukowski feels about violence (stories that are helpful in this regard include "A Drinking Partner" and "3 Chickens"). How do his other characters deal with violence? What statement is Bukowski attempting to make? Stories that contain violence include (but not exclusively) "The Fiend," "The Murder of Ramon Vasquez," "The Fuck Machine," and "The White Beard." Feel free to draw comparisons from other stories that may not feature violence prominently, but deal with Bukowski's themes on violence in society.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of life and death in Bukowski's stories in the following format:
Part 1) Cass's suicide.
Part 2) Harry and his cigarettes.
Part 3) Tanya's "death."
Part 4) The body in "The Copulating Mermaid of Venice, California."
Part 5) The fates of Tito and Baby.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of beauty in "The Most Beautiful Woman in Town." What is significant about Cass's attractiveness and her attempts to deflect from it? What is important about her attraction to Bukowski? How does Bukowski feel about Cass? How does her suicide reflect the disconnect between appreciating her looks and detesting them all at once? How is Bukowski able to reconcile his opinions on attractiveness? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)