|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Indian Mike tries to force himself on Tanya?
2. When Vicki returns home at the end of "3 Chickens," what does she discover?
3. According to Bukowski, when is the only time one should bet on a closer during a horse race?
4. What happens to Bukowski in regard to his apartment at the end of "3 Women?"
5. How many sisters does Cass have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kathy and what is her relationship to Bukowski?
2. Who is Kid Stardust and what is his purpose?
3. What are the conditions of the charity ward?
4. Describe the events that lead up to Tanya's demise.
5. For what reasons is Bukowski satisfied with being evicted at the end of "3 Women?"
6. Why does Bukowski buy cigarettes for Harry in "Life and Death in the Charity Ward?"
7. Describe Cass and Bukowski's first night together.
8. How does Henry survive after killing Sarah with a hat pin?
9. Describe Bukowski's relationship with Vicki.
10. Describe operations at Joe and Cherry's newspaper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Bukowski write primarily about people who live on the outskirts of society? What does this suggest about his personal relationship to society? How is this reflected in stories such as "All the Great Writers" and "The Birth, Life, and Death of an Underground Newspaper?" What are some ways that Bukowski allows his writing to infuse poetry into places and people from whom it might not be ordinarily expected? How is this a reflection upon not only Bukowski's skills, but his views on society?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bukowski depict his different lovers throughout his stories? In what ways does he differentiate between his casual flings and those for whom he has true feelings? What does this suggest about his relationship to sex? What is significant about Bukowski portraying himself as being in an abusive relationship with Vicki in "3 Chickens?" How does this contrast with his loving sacrifice of a relationship with Marie in "A Lovely Love Affair?"
Essay Topic 3
What role does gambling play in Bukowski's stories? For what reasons does he view gambling as a chance to continually begin again? Why is it significant that he references betting on horses in many of his stories? How does he connect sex to gambling? How is this related to Bukowski's motivations in life? Develop a clear thesis statement around which to build this essay and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)