|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite her passion for Bukowski, to what is Cass averse?
2. Why does Bukowski quit his job at the meat-packing plant?
3. What does Cass find attractive about Bukowski?
4. What does the narrator do with the sex model Von Brashlitz sends him at the end of the story?
5. In what sport does Bukowski have his persona, Kid Stardust, excel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe operations at Joe and Cherry's newspaper.
2. Why do Sanchez and Kaakaa take Bukowski in during "Ten Jack-offs?"
3. How does the marriage of Joe and Cherry reflect the problems with their newspaper?
4. Describe Bukowski's life with Linda in "3 Women."
5. What is Tanya's purpose, according to Von Brashlitz, and why does she rebel?
6. What is the purpose of the Satisfactory Help Agency?
7. What are Bukowski's feelings about the women at the race track in "Non-Horseshit Horse Advice; and Another Horse Story?"
8. Why does Bukowski buy cigarettes for Harry in "Life and Death in the Charity Ward?"
9. Who is Kathy and what is her relationship to Bukowski?
10. Why does Bukowski throw away the newspaper clippings at the end of "Life in a Texas Whorehouse?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of fantasy in the stories by Bukowski in the following format:
Part 1) Bukowski's method of dealing with the meat-packing plant.
Part 2) Tony and Bill's feelings about their stolen body.
Part 3) Blanchard's obsession with the little girl.
Part 4) The narrator's sexual encounter with the prostitute in "Trouble with a Battery."
Part 5) Bukowski's attempts to write in "Twelve Flying Monkeys Who Won't Copulate Properly."
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose a brief essay about violence in Bukowski's stories. Be sure to develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Consider, in particular, how Bukowski feels about violence (stories that are helpful in this regard include "A Drinking Partner" and "3 Chickens"). How do his other characters deal with violence? What statement is Bukowski attempting to make? Stories that contain violence include (but not exclusively) "The Fiend," "The Murder of Ramon Vasquez," "The Fuck Machine," and "The White Beard." Feel free to draw comparisons from other stories that may not feature violence prominently, but deal with Bukowski's themes on violence in society.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depictions of abusive relationships in the following format:
Part 1) Tanya and Von Brashlitz.
Part 2) Vicki and Bukowski.
Part 3) Tony and Bill taking advantage of the dead woman's body.
Part 4) Infidelity, as seen in "3 Women" and "Trouble with a Battery."
Part 5) Henry and Sarah from "Six Inches."
Develop a clear thesis statement on this subject and cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)