|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what name is Hitler living in "Swastika?"
2. Why does Bukowski ask Madge to keep her skirt pulled down while they are at the race track?
(a) He notices a better-looking man checking out her legs.
(b) He is repulsed when she is trying to be sexy.
(c) He is afraid that they will be kicked out.
(d) He does not want her to look trashy.
3. What does Lincoln force Vasquez to do when he loses his temper?
(a) Vasquez is forced to perform fellatio on the two men.
(b) Vasquez is forced to break up with his lover at gun point.
(c) Vasquez is forced to hand over a great deal of money to Lincoln.
(d) Vasquez is forced to re-enact some of his more famous scenes in the nude.
4. Which assassination or assassinations does Hitler claim to have been behind in "Swastika?"
(a) John Lennon
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Medgar Evans.
(d) The Kennedys'.
5. What is Bukowski's alias in "A Lovely Love Affair?"
(a) Terrence Huxley.
(b) Charlie Serkin.
(c) Alan Smithee.
(d) Michael Stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the prostitute's brother acting as a bodyguard in "Trouble with a Battery?"
2. What is Jeff and Bukowski's favorite bar?
3. At what address are the surgeries on the president of the United States performed in "Swastika?"
4. Why does Charlie leave Marie's apartment after sleeping with her?
5. What job are Bukowski, Herb, and Talbot performing during "The White Beard?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ginny?
2. What is significant about Andrew's conversation with his girlfriend?
3. What is significant about the prostitute's brother in "Trouble with a Battery?"
4. Describe Tito and Baby.
5. Who are some of the famous writers discussed in "The Day We Talk About James Thurber" and why?
6. Describe some of the preparations taken before the conspiracy to replace the President's brain and larynx with Hitler's own body parts.
7. Why does Marie take in Charlie in "A Lovely Love Affair?"
8. How and why does Vasquez extend his hospitality to Lincoln and Andrew?
9. Describe Martin Blanchard.
10. At the end of the story, what is revealed as the reason for the narrator's presence at the bar, and what does this suggest about his feelings on the whole encounter?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)