|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many languages does Andre speak?
2. According to the prostitute, what is the true occupation of Jaime Bravo (supposedly the identity of her brother)?
3. In the bar, what is the occupation of the man that is "sort of" the prostitute's husband?
(d) Musical entertainment.
4. What does Gramercy Edwards do that disgusts Bukowski?
(a) Butchers a bulldog.
(b) Sets a bird on fire.
(c) Throws a glass at a child.
(d) Beats a man for being on the wrong side of the street.
5. According to the patients at the institution, what probably drove the man who claims to be president (though looks like Hitler) crazy?
(c) Rock music.
6. What language is expressly forbidden around Hitler-as-the-President in "Swastika?"
7. What job are Bukowski, Herb, and Talbot performing during "The White Beard?"
(a) Ditch digger.
(b) Fruit picker.
(c) Ambulance driver.
(d) Fence builder.
8. What story overtakes any stories about the U.S. government's accidental contamination of other countries' coasts?
(a) Japan allies themselves with the U.S.
(b) Russia joins the arms race.
(c) A spy ship is seized.
(d) North Korea suggests they now have nuclear technology.
9. What spurs Bukowski to comment on the events of 1968 in "Politics is like Trying to Screw a Cat in the Ass?"
(a) He is hoping to attract some journalistic work with his writings.
(b) He feels passionate about politics.
(c) He feels angry that he is not considered a voice of reason about current events.
(d) A reader questions him about it.
10. What do the police officers do to Blanchard before taking him to the station?
(a) They beat him up.
(b) They take him to see the battered girl.
(c) They force him into a room with the girl's father.
(d) They castrate him.
11. What does Bukowski attempt to read during oral sex in "My Big-Assed Mother?"
(a) Tito's fiction writing.
(b) The daily editorials.
(d) Racing form.
12. Which of the following is not a trait shared by Bukowski and Jeff in "A Drinking Partner?"
(b) Heavy drinker.
(d) Light eater.
13. According to "All the Great Writers," which of the following is not a characteristic of most writers?
(b) Accepting of criticism.
(d) Belief in their own genius.
14. What does Tony claim about himself and the corpse?
(a) He claims that the corpse was responsive to him during sex.
(b) He claims that he dated the woman while she was still alive.
(c) He claims that the corpse is his dead boss.
(d) He claims he is in love.
15. What does not appear to be one of Tony and Billy's concerns when they steal the corpse?
(b) Rigor mortis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Mason give Ainsworth Hockley?
2. Like many of his contemporaries (including Bukowski), on what has Andre been cheated?
3. What animals must Harry and Duke be wary of when they go to mine the gold?
4. What is the name of the hospital in "The Copulating Mermaid of Venice, California?"
5. Where do Lincoln and Andrew claim to have driven from in order to gain entrance to Vasquez's house?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)