|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the shoes is the child wearing when she directs Russell toward Elizabeth Chase's house?
2. What is Tiggy?
3. What is the first thing Russell sees in the formal drawing room of Miss Baskerville's house?
4. What does Baring-Gould say he's reading when Russell joins him the morning after her return from Ketteridge's house?
5. What is Holmes' reaction when Russell says she knows his true relationship to Baring-Gould?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Russell say about the people she questions about the coach and the hound and their reliability?
2. What does Holmes believe to be the truth about Scheimann's disposal of Pethering's body and what is Russell's reaction?
3. Why does Ketteridge ask about Russell's knowledge of the sightings of the hounds and Lady Howard's coach? What does Russell respond?
4. What does Inspector Fyfe say about Pethering's body?
5. How does Russell go about getting Pethering's body out of the lake?
6. Describe how and why Russell's attitude toward Baring-Gould has changed by this point in the book.
7. How does Russell get a group of men to sing the song about Lady Howard's coach?
8. What is the "gold story" Russell reads about in Baring-Gould's book in his chapter about Okehampton?
9. Describe the Russell's meeting with Miss Baskerville.
10. What does Russell do to express her appreciation of Elizabeth Chase's ability to be a good witness and what is Elizabeth's reaction to Russell's action?:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Russell and Holmes related? Describe their relationship. Is their relationship traditional for the time and situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Russell is traveling the moor in search of clues, she learns that a woman wants to tell her about a hedgehog. What is Russell's reaction to that news? What is the significance of the hedgehog? What is the role of that clue in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Russell goes onto the moor alone on a horse. Describe her trip. What are the humorous points of the journey? Why are they humorous? What does the trip reveal about Russell's character?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)