|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Russell have to drink with the meal she has at Postbridge?
2. What does Russell hear when she wakes in the middle of the night?
3. What does the young man in chapter ten tell Russell Elizabeth Chase wants to talk to her about?
4. When does Miss Baskerville say she plans to marry?
5. What kind of sandwich does Russell eat when she stops at the place where Tiggy was found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ketteridge say about his ability to keep his cook and what is Russell's response?
2. Describe the Russell's meeting with Miss Baskerville.
3. How does Russell find her way to Elizabeth Chase's house?
4. Briefly describe the conversation between Russell and the man who says that Elizabeth Chase wants to see her.
5. What is the "gold story" Russell reads about in Baring-Gould's book in his chapter about Okehampton?
6. Why does Ketteridge ask about Russell's knowledge of the sightings of the hounds and Lady Howard's coach? What does Russell respond?
7. What does Russell say about the people she questions about the coach and the hound and their reliability?
8. What does Baring-Gould say about his relationship to Holmes and what's Russell's reaction?
9. What does Russell say about the two speeds Red has and what she believes to be her options other than accepting this?
10. How does Russell get a group of men to sing the song about Lady Howard's coach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Holmes is considered a major character in this story. Describe Holmes as he is seen in this story. Is he presented in this story as you expected? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of telegrams over the course of the book. Include the information that arrives to and from Russell and Holmes in the story and the use of the technology during this time period overall.
Essay Topic 3
What are the backgrounds of Scheimann and Ketteridge? What do they present themselves as? What are their fates?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)