|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon is Russell carrying when she and Holmes go onto the moor in search of Ketteridge and Schiemann?
(a) A shotgun
(b) A pistol
(c) A knife
(d) A handful of grenades
2. Where is the doctor when Russell goes looking for the Taylor family?
(a) Tending a woman with rheumatism
(b) Riding on the moor
(c) Attending a funeral
(d) Attending a birth
3. Baring-Gould tells Russell about a case of fraud in which the moor was "salted" with what metal?
4. What was Baring-Gould's mother's name?
5. What does the telegram from New York say about the previous actions of one of the men Holmes required about?
(a) That he was a gold miner
(b) That he was suspected of a real estate scam
(c) That he was headmaster of a school
(d) That he had killed his wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week does Samuel see the hound?
2. What is the nationality of Ketteridge's cook?
3. What does Samuel Taylor say about the new owners of his farm?
4. Where is Wheal Betsy located?
5. Where does Elizabeth Chase say Tiggy would ordinarily live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how and why Russell's attitude toward Baring-Gould has changed by this point in the book.
2. What does Baring-Gould say about his relationship to Holmes and what's Russell's reaction?
3. What is the "gold story" Russell reads about in Baring-Gould's book in his chapter about Okehampton?
4. Briefly describe the conversation between Russell and the man who says that Elizabeth Chase wants to see her.
5. Describe the Russell's meeting with Miss Baskerville.
6. What is Russell's dilemma when she gets back to Lew Trenchard after being at Baskerville Hall?
7. What does Inspector Fyfe say about Pethering's body?
8. Describe the moment in which Russell's attitude about the moor changes?
9. What is the purpose of Ketteridge and Scheimann salting the moor with gold and what is the purpose of creating the illusion of Lady Howard's coach and the ghostly hound?
10. What does Ketteridge say about his ability to keep his cook and what is Russell's response?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)