|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following are among the things Russell notes about Postbridge?
(a) There are two churches and a phone kiosk
(b) There are many houses in a rouch circle around the town's center
(c) There are no church buildings but there is a school
(d) There are three places to buy liquor and one place to eat
2. How many stories of sightings of the coach does Russell hear during the day of questioning in chapter eleven?
3. What term does Russell use to compare Dartmoor to the Palestinian desert?
(a) A wet desert
(b) An oasis
(c) A green desert
(d) A lost world
4. What time is it when Russell arrives back at Lew Trenchard?
(a) Not yet ten
(b) Just after one in the morning
(c) Almost midnight
(d) Just after midnight
5. What is Pethering's real name, according to a telegram that arrives just as Holmes and Russell are setting down to dinner?
(a) Randolph Parker
(b) Peter Richards
(c) Richard Pritchard
(d) Ricardo Pethering
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the horse Russell takes for her trip onto the moor?
2. What was Baring-Gould's mother's name?
3. What kind of building is Wheal Betsy?
4. What kind of lights does Holmes say the young people saw on what they believed to be Lady Howard's coach?
5. What does Ketteridge say prompted that toast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Russell do to express her appreciation of Elizabeth Chase's ability to be a good witness and what is Elizabeth's reaction to Russell's action?:
2. What is the story Elizabeth Chase tells about young Samuel?
3. What does Baring-Gould say about his relationship to Holmes and what's Russell's reaction?
4. Why does Ketteridge ask about Russell's knowledge of the sightings of the hounds and Lady Howard's coach? What does Russell respond?
5. Describe Ketteridge's mood when Russell goes downstairs after her bath and what does Russell note about his appearance?
6. Describe the Russell's meeting with Miss Baskerville.
7. What is the "gold story" Russell reads about in Baring-Gould's book in his chapter about Okehampton?
8. What does Russell say about the two speeds Red has and what she believes to be her options other than accepting this?
9. How does Russell find her way to Elizabeth Chase's house?
10. What happens when Red shies soon after leaving Elizabeth Chase's house?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)