|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Holmes and Russell have to eat when they stop at the public house in chapter three?
(a) Turtle soup and boiled cabbage
(b) Bread and cheese
(c) Leek soup and game pie
2. What time of day is Lady Howard supposed to be seen?
(a) Just after sunset
(b) After midnight
(c) Just before dawn
(d) Just before sunset
3. What does Russell note about Mr. Ketteridge's hand?
(a) That he's missing the tip of one finger
(b) That it's very cold and soft
(c) That it's calloused
(d) That he's wearing several pieces of expensive jewelry
4. According to the legend, when will Lady Howard be free to rest?
(b) After she's collected a number of souls
(c) After the hound has plucked every blade of grass
(d) After the moor is completely devoid of people
5. Why does Baring-Gould say he'll write a letter in favor of Pethering's claims?
(a) He's probably right
(b) He needs the letter to advance his studies
(c) He has a child and wife to feed
(d) He's scared Baring-Gould with his threats
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes have for food when he and Russell camp in the cave?
2. How long have Holmes and Russell been on the moor when they return to Baring-Gould's house at the beginning of chapter seven?
3. Who is Henry Cleave waiting for when Holmes and Russell arrive at his house?
4. What is Thomas Westaway doing when Holmes and Russell arrive at his farm?
5. What are Baring-Gould and Holmes doing when Russell arrives downstairs in chapter three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first meeting between Holmes and Pethering?
2. Why does a young man who relates Johnny Trelawny's sighting of the coach say Johnny left the moor and what does Russell believe to be the real reason Johnny left?
3. What are some of the details Cleave offers up about Josiah Gorton and about their last conversation?
4. What are the tors and how are they named?
5. How do Russell and Holmes find the shelter where they eat their lunch during the first trek onto the moor?
6. List at least three of the events Holmes and Russell list as they compile clues about the case so far.
7. What are some of the details David Sheimann tells about the true curse of the Baskervilles?
8. As Holmes and Russell are making their way back to Lew Trenchard after their first foray onto the moor, how does Russell say about her physical state as compared to Holmes? Does she say this is typical?
9. What does Holmes search for when he reaches the spot Baring-Gould marked as the last place Lady Howard's coach has been seen and why does he fail to find it?
10. What are some of the physical aspects of the moor that Holmes describes to Russell after Baring-Gould goes to bed?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)