|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Elizabeth Chase when Russell first sees her?
(a) In a small shed
(b) In the garden
(c) In the doorway of her house
(d) In the barn
2. What is used to sweeten the tea served at Elizabeth Chases's house?
3. What is the first thing Russell sees in the formal drawing room of Miss Baskerville's house?
(a) A copy of Baring-Gould's book
(b) A statue
(c) A portrait
(d) Miss Baskerville
4. What is the snack young Samuel stops to eat on his way home from his aunt's house?
(a) Roast beef
(b) Peanut butter
(c) Bread and cheese
5. What phase is the moon in when Russell looks at the moor for the first time without rain, near the end of chapter ten?
(c) A sliver
6. What term does Russell use to compare Dartmoor to the Palestinian desert?
(a) An oasis
(b) A wet desert
(c) A lost world
(d) A green desert
7. Who does Russell say she believes Ketteridge was trying to get away from Baskerville Hall when she'd dropped in unexpectedly?
(a) Miss Baskerville
(c) Mary Tavy
(d) She doesn't know
8. Which of the following are among the things Russell notes about Postbridge?
(a) There are no church buildings but there is a school
(b) There are two churches and a phone kiosk
(c) There are many houses in a rouch circle around the town's center
(d) There are three places to buy liquor and one place to eat
9. What is Russell thinking of when she's thrown from her horse and begins to cry?
(a) Her aching back
(c) The pain of her cold and fever
(d) The lack of useful information
10. What does Russell hear when she wakes in the middle of the night?
(a) Men whispering
(c) A child crying
(d) A dog
11. What does Baring-Gould say is his relationship to Holmes?
(a) He is Holmes' grandfather
(b) He is Holmes' uncle
(c) He is Holmes' godfather
(d) He is Holmes' second cousin
12. What kind of sandwich does Russell eat when she stops at the place where Tiggy was found?
(a) Peanut butter
(c) Roast beef
(d) Cheese and pickle
13. What does Inspector Fyfe say the coroner found in Pethering's stomach?
(a) Roast beef, corn and potatoes
(b) Gold flakes
(c) Nothing, indicating that he hadn't eaten recently
(d) Egg and bread
14. How does Baring-Gould arrive at the scene of Pethering's body?
(a) He doesn't
(b) On horseback
(c) He walks
(d) In a sedan chair
15. What day of the week does Samuel see the hound?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ketteridge use to tie up Holmes?
2. What is the nickname given to Russell by the people of hte moor?
3. What item of clothing does Russell leave out of the bag she packs at the beginning of chapter ten?
4. In chapter eleven, Russell stays at Mary Tavy inn. What is it that a young man gives Russell?
5. Who brings Holmes the next telegram about Ketteridge and Schiemann?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)