|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles does Russell have to cover in order to reach the inn at Tavistock?
2. What does the telegram from New York say about the previous actions of one of the men Holmes required about?
(a) That he was suspected of a real estate scam
(b) That he was headmaster of a school
(c) That he had killed his wife
(d) That he was a gold miner
3. What does Samuel Taylor say about the new owners of his farm?
(a) That he hopes they'll sell it to him
(b) That he hopes they enjoy it
(c) That he hopes they die
(d) That he hopes they paid dearly for it
4. What is Ketteridge using to cover the sounds of his "salting" the moor with gold?
(b) Blasts from a mining operation
(d) The rattle of Lady Howard's coach
5. What was the original purpose of the Princetown Prison?
(a) To house the insane around 1800
(b) To house orphans during World War I
(c) To house widows during the famine
(d) To house prisoners during the Napoleonic War
6. Which of the following are among the things Russell notes about Postbridge?
(a) There are three places to buy liquor and one place to eat
(b) There are many houses in a rouch circle around the town's center
(c) There are two churches and a phone kiosk
(d) There are no church buildings but there is a school
7. What is Holmes' reaction when Russell says she knows his true relationship to Baring-Gould?
(a) That Baring-Gould was mistaken
(b) That he thought Baring-Gould had forgotten
(c) The he'd forgotten
(d) That he hadn't been willing to share that information
8. What term does Russell use to compare Dartmoor to the Palestinian desert?
(a) A green desert
(b) An oasis
(c) A lost world
(d) A wet desert
9. What is Russell thinking of when she's thrown from her horse and begins to cry?
(a) The lack of useful information
(c) The pain of her cold and fever
(d) Her aching back
10. Where is Elizabeth Chase when Russell first sees her?
(a) In the barn
(b) In the garden
(c) In the doorway of her house
(d) In a small shed
11. How many of the people at the inn at the beginning of chapter eleven know who Russell is?
(a) Only the manager
(b) Only three or four
(c) All of them
(d) No one
12. What kind of building is Wheal Betsy?
13. What does Inspector Fyfe say the coroner found in Pethering's stomach?
(a) Roast beef, corn and potatoes
(b) Nothing, indicating that he hadn't eaten recently
(c) Egg and bread
(d) Gold flakes
14. What does Baring-Gould say he's reading when Russell joins him the morning after her return from Ketteridge's house?
(a) A draft of his memoirs
(c) The Bible
(d) A history of the moor
15. Where does Ketteridge say he and Scheimann first met?
(a) On a boat
(b) In Dartmoor
(c) In California
(d) In London
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Russell ask from the maid who is just outside the bathroom?
2. How does Baring-Gould arrive at the scene of Pethering's body?
3. What does Baring-Gould say is the reason it's difficult to keep bees on the moor?
4. Which of the following was among the items found in Pethering's bag?
5. What does Ketteridge use to tie up Holmes?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)