|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Holmes does when he and Russell go inside the Drake farmhouse?
(a) They don't go inside
(b) Asks if Drake killed Josiah Gorton
(c) Asks for tea
(d) Puts wood on the smouldering fire
2. What happens that makes it difficult for Holmes to be sure they're on the exact spot where Lady Howard's coach was seen?
(a) The map has been destroyed by the rain
(b) The map is vague
(c) They burned the map the previous night to start a fire
(d) The rain distorts the X Baring-Gould made on the map
3. Where does Russell spend the afternoon near the end of chapter nine?
(a) On the moor
(b) In the churchyard
(c) In the study
(d) In her room
4. Who does Russell say joins her and Holmes for tea when they return to the manor?
(a) Mrs. Elliott
(b) No one
(d) A young homeless family
5. What does Holmes give Westaway before leaving him?
(a) A coin and some advice about women
(b) A phone number so he can call if he sees the hound again
(c) A pat on the shoulder
(d) Informaiton about how to disprove the legend of the hound
6. What does Russell wear down to breakfast?
(c) A dress to appease Baring-Gould
(d) Trousers, despite what Baring-Gould might think
7. What does Russell find on her dinner tray after her bath?
(a) Soup and a tart
(b) Soup, rolls, cheese, a tart and an apple
(c) Soup anc cheese
(d) Soup and rolls
8. What does Russell note about Mr. Ketteridge's hand?
(a) That he's missing the tip of one finger
(b) That it's very cold and soft
(c) That it's calloused
(d) That he's wearing several pieces of expensive jewelry
9. What does Holmes say the military have learned about "the next war?"
(a) That it will be won by technology
(b) That the main enemy will be Germany
(c) That it will begin shortly
(d) That the main enemy will not be Germany
10. What does Russell say she's reminded of when she looks at the height of Dartmoor?
(a) A mansion
(b) A mountain
(c) A giant
(d) A fortress
11. What does David Schiemann say the hound is searching for?
(a) A soul
(b) His mate
(c) His master
(d) His mistress
12. What is the talent Holmes says Russell has kept hidden from him?
(a) The ability to play the tin whistle
(b) The ability to dance an Irish jib
(c) The ability to drink the locals under the table
(d) The ability to sing traditional ballads
13. What is the marker that had been originally erected to direct pilgims?
(a) A rock
(b) A statue
(c) A cross
(d) An arrow
14. How does Holmes say he knows Lady Blythe-Patton?
(a) He found a necklace she'd lost
(b) She grew up near his childhood home
(c) He met her on the moor many years earlier
(d) She is Baring-Gould's daughter
15. How much higher does Holmes say Dartmoor is than their current position?
(a) Two hundred feet
(b) Twelve hundred feet
(c) He doesn't say
(d) A hundred feet
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Holmes and Russell to reach Lydford?
2. How does Holmes propose to find the names of the couple who'd seen the coach from Gibbett Hill?
3. What does Russell call Baring-Gould after their first meeting?
4. Where did Josiah Gorton spend the afternoon before his death?
5. Who opens the door when Holmes and Russell return to Baring-Gould's house at the opening of chapter seven?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)