|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Russell find on her dinner tray after her bath?
(a) Soup anc cheese
(b) Soup and rolls
(c) Soup, rolls, cheese, a tart and an apple
(d) Soup and a tart
2. Why does Baring-Gould say he'll write a letter in favor of Pethering's claims?
(a) He's probably right
(b) He has a child and wife to feed
(c) He's scared Baring-Gould with his threats
(d) He needs the letter to advance his studies
3. What does Russell wear down to breakfast?
(b) Trousers, despite what Baring-Gould might think
(d) A dress to appease Baring-Gould
4. Who is Henry Cleave waiting for when Holmes and Russell arrive at his house?
(a) His wife
(b) Josiah Gorton
(c) The doctor
(d) His girlfriend
5. What are Baring-Gould and Holmes doing when Russell arrives downstairs in chapter three?
(a) Drinking coffee
(b) Looking at a map
(d) They're outside, listening
6. What does Holmes say was found on the ground near Josiah Gorton's body?
(a) A note
(b) Footprints of a large dog
(c) Gold nuggets
(d) A bloody knife
7. What does Russell believe to be in the vial Holmes finds in Joshiah Gorton's cache the morning after they camp in the cave?
(c) A bullet
(d) A sliver of bone
8. Where do Holmes and Russell go after their meal at the Inn at Two Bridges?
(a) To find a ride back to Baring-Gould's house
(b) To question a young girl who'd seen the hound
(c) To find a room
(d) To the bar
9. What is the marker that had been originally erected to direct pilgims?
(a) A statue
(b) An arrow
(c) A rock
(d) A cross
10. Where did Josiah Gorton spend the afternoon before his death?
(a) At the home of Baring-Gould
(b) In a tin mine
(c) At the home of a friend
(d) At an inn
11. What does Russell note about Mr. Ketteridge's accent?
(a) That it seems American
(b) That she can't decide where he's from
(c) That he's decidedly English
(d) That there's a soft drawl, probably from Georgia
12. How many horses does Westaway say he actually saw?
13. What does Russell smell when she wakes after a night of drinking with the locals?
(d) Wet wool
14. What is the talent Holmes says Russell has kept hidden from him?
(a) The ability to dance an Irish jib
(b) The ability to drink the locals under the table
(c) The ability to sing traditional ballads
(d) The ability to play the tin whistle
15. How much higher does Holmes say Dartmoor is than their current position?
(a) Two hundred feet
(b) A hundred feet
(c) He doesn't say
(d) Twelve hundred feet
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pethering have in his hand that concerns Russell?
2. What does Russell say this herd of animals looks like?
3. What is it that gets spilled on Russell during dinner?
4. What does Russell say she did during her train ride to the moor?
5. What is Holmes eating when Russell joins him in the Inn at Two Bridges in chapter six?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)