|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the young couple from that swore they'd seen Lady Howard's coach from Gibbett Hill?
(a) Lew Trenchard
(c) Mary Tavy
2. What is Jacob Drew's occupation?
(a) He's a mechanic
(b) He's a bartender
(c) He's a cook
(d) He owns a bar
3. What do Holmes and Russell have to drink when they stop at the public house in chapter three?
4. What is Holmes eating when Russell joins him in the Inn at Two Bridges in chapter six?
(a) Leek soup
(b) Roast beef
(c) Partridge pie
(d) Scones and cream
5. What does Holmes say was found on the ground near Josiah Gorton's body?
(a) A bloody knife
(b) A note
(c) Gold nuggets
(d) Footprints of a large dog
6. What makes Holmes believe they're close to a farmhouse when they're caught in the thick fog?
(a) He remembers it from the map
(b) He saw it before the fog rolled in
(c) He hears cows and chickens
(d) He hears a dog barking
7. In chapter five, what does Russell say is the most extraordinary thing they've seen all day?
(a) A one-eyed dog
(b) The clear sky
(c) A car
(d) A tree
8. How does Holmes propose to find the names of the couple who'd seen the coach from Gibbett Hill?
(a) Check with guest registries from the local inns
(b) He'll call the police
(c) He'll ask at the train station
(d) He'll ask at a farm in the area
9. Where does the barman say Pethering has gone?
(a) In search of gold
(b) To Baring-Gould's house
(c) Out on the moor
(d) To Baskerville Hall
10. Where is the cat asleep in the early part of chapter nine?
(a) On Baring-Gould's armchair
(b) On the porch
(c) On the foot of Russell's bed
(d) In front of the fire
11. What was the original purpose of the pit near Baring-Gould's house?
(a) A quarry
(b) Garbage disposal
(c) A tin mine
(d) Water for the region
12. How does Russell learn that Lew House is two miles north of the station?
(a) The porter tells her
(b) A note left by Holmes
(c) There's a man waiting to escort her
(d) Shes seen it on her map
13. How many children does Baring-Gould say he has?
14. What does Russell believe to be in the vial Holmes finds in Joshiah Gorton's cache the morning after they camp in the cave?
(b) A bullet
(d) A sliver of bone
15. What time do Holmes and Russell arrive back at Baring-Gould's house after the evening with Ketteridge?
(a) After ten in the evening
(b) After two in the morning
(c) After nine in the evening
(d) After midnight
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes have for food when he and Russell camp in the cave?
2. How much higher does Holmes say Dartmoor is than their current position?
3. What does Russell wear down to breakfast?
4. What does Russell call Baring-Gould after their first meeting?
5. Where does Russell spend the afternoon near the end of chapter nine?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)