|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jennings say he will write to at the end of this section?
2. Why can't Franklin remember taking the diamond?
3. What does Mr. Murthwaite think the Indians have gained a copy of?
4. What do the men decide the experiment proves?
5. Where does Jennings think Franklin has hidden the diamond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cuff find out about Godfrey in this section?
2. Why does Bruff not favor the experiment?
3. What does Cuff write in his letter to Franklin?
4. What does Mr. Candy say in his letter to Franklin?
5. What did Gooseberry observe while following the sailor?
6. How does Franklin find the nightgown?
7. Why does Sergeant Cuff say he wants to help?
8. What does Murthwaite point out to Bruff about the Indians in this section?
9. Describe the discussion between Rachel and Franklin in this section.
10. What was the real reason for Rachel breaking off her engagement with Godfrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Cuff as a fictional detective.
1. What are Cuff's strengths and weaknesses as a detective?
2. How influential has Cuff's character been on popular culture?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the three Indians.
1. Why is it significant that the three Indians went against their caste?
2. What does it express about the author's opinion that the three Indians got the diamond back?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)