|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jennings think Rachel is so excited in this section?
2. What does Jennings say he has done with the notes he recorded during Mr. Candy's illness?
3. Who does Franklin receive a letter from on June 20th?
4. What had happened to the sailor when the men broke into his room?
5. What kind of drug does Jennings want to experiment with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rachel say in her letter on June the 17th?
2. How does Bruff say he will proceed after Franklin's meeting with Rachel?
3. What was the real reason for Rachel breaking off her engagement with Godfrey?
4. What do the men think the experiment proves?
5. What does Murthwaite point out to Bruff about the Indians in this section?
6. Why does Jennings want to recreate the event?
7. How does Franklin find the nightgown?
8. How did Godfrey get possession of the diamond?
9. What does Cuff find out about Godfrey in this section?
10. What does Jennings say is wrong with Mr. Candy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Cuff as a fictional detective.
1. What are Cuff's strengths and weaknesses as a detective?
2. How influential has Cuff's character been on popular culture?
Essay Topic 2
How important is the diamond to the Indians and their culture? How does the author express how important the diamond is to the Indians? What do the students think the author thinks about the diamond being taken away from the Indians in the first place?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)