|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betteredge put in Rachel's bedroom in this section?
2. Who is Rachel living with when Franklin returns to England?
3. What is the name of the boy Bruff employs?
4. Why did Rosanna think Franklin stole the diamond?
5. Who did Godfrey keep at the country villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cuff write in his letter to Franklin?
2. What do the men think the experiment proves?
3. Why does Jennings think that Franklin doesn't remember taking the diamond?
4. What does Cuff find out about Godfrey in this section?
5. How does the opium effect Franklin in this section?
6. How did Godfrey get possession of the diamond?
7. What do Franklin and Betteredge discuss on the way to the train station?
8. Describe the discussion between Rachel and Franklin in this section.
9. Why does Jennings want to recreate the event?
10. How does Franklin find the nightgown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1840s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What is Godfrey's motivation to steal the diamond? What mistakes do you think made that lead to his death?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Cuff as a fictional detective.
1. What are Cuff's strengths and weaknesses as a detective?
2. How influential has Cuff's character been on popular culture?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)