|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season makes the soldiers feel isolated?
2. What happens to the soldiers that are sent home?
3. What does the person listening to Tonder yell do?
4. Who does the Mayor ask to comfort his wife before his execution?
5. What color are the packages dropped around town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Mayor have to do if he wanted to avoid being executed?
2. What do the townspeople do to make the soldiers weaker?
3. What happens when Tonder loses control?
4. What punishment does Loft create for insubordinate mine workers?
5. How does Tonder feel when he finds out who Molly is, and what does he do about it?
6. Why can the soldiers not punish the mine workers by withholding food?
7. Why does Annie get suspicious of Molly?
8. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
9. How could the people use the dynamite sent to them by the air drops?
10. What request does the Mayor make to the Anders brothers before they leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town and country in this book were not ever named. Why do you think the author chose to withhold this information, and how did it change the feeling of the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a key motivator to the people of this town. What were the people willing to do for their freedom, and how did this affect their relationship with each other?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)