|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does the author compare the dropping of the packages to?
2. What do the soldiers hear other invading armies are met with?
3. How do the people know how to use the packages they find?
4. What does Lanser ask of the Mayor before his execution?
5. What kind of news do the soldiers hear from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Mayor have to do if he wanted to avoid being executed?
2. Why can the soldiers not punish the mine workers by withholding food?
3. How does Loft show his naievte?
4. What happens when Tonder loses control?
5. What does Molly do when she knows Tonder is at the door for the second time?
6. What makes the soldiers so miserable during the winter?
7. Why does Tonder say he wants to visit with Molly?
8. What does Molly's comment to Tonder about sausages mean?
9. What does Lanser plead with the Mayor to do before his execution, and what did this show?
10. What was the quote that the Mayor was thinking of before his execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was a key motivator to the people of this town. What were the people willing to do for their freedom, and how did this affect their relationship with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)