|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is printed on the packages dropped around town?
2. What holiday does the author compare the dropping of the packages to?
3. What startles Mrs. Morden while she is sitting alone in her house most nights?
4. When did the originator of the Mayor's quote give those lines?
5. What is Mrs. Morden's house being used by the Mayor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the quote that the Mayor was thinking of before his execution?
2. How could the people use the dynamite sent to them by the air drops?
3. Why can the soldiers not punish the mine workers by withholding food?
4. What did Correll do after sustaining his injury?
5. How does Tonder feel when he finds out who Molly is, and what does he do about it?
6. What do Tom and Will plan to do as they ecape, and why?
7. What causes the Mayor to feel ashamed before his execution?
8. Why doesCorrell say his arm is in a sling?
9. What does Correll say will be done to create order in the town after the packages are dropped?
10. What does Molly's comment to Tonder about sausages mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)