|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morder first think Tonder wants when he comes to her house?
2. How do the people know how to use the packages they find?
3. What does Winters say will happen when the leaders of the resistance are killed?
4. Why do the soldiers not venture out alone?
5. Who comes up with the main punishment given to the miners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tonder loses control?
2. How does Loft show his naievte?
3. What causes the Mayor to feel ashamed before his execution?
4. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
5. What does Molly's comment to Tonder about sausages mean?
6. What does the Mayor say to his wife before his execution?
7. What do the townspeople do to make the soldiers weaker?
8. What does Correll say will be done to create order in the town after the packages are dropped?
9. Why does Annie get suspicious of Molly?
10. Who does Lanser want to put in charge of gathering the packages, and why is he unavailable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is a major theme in this book. How is this theme presented, and how did it affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is another strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)