|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes up with the main punishment given to the miners?
2. What is in a package that Hunter opened?
3. What happens to the soldiers that are sent home?
4. Who does Correll report to about the uprising?
5. What is wrong with the man put in charge of finding the packages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Molly's comment to Tonder about sausages mean?
2. Why can the soldiers not punish the mine workers by withholding food?
3. What does Lanser plead with the Mayor to do before his execution, and what did this show?
4. Why does Tonder say he wants to visit with Molly?
5. Who does Lanser want to put in charge of gathering the packages, and why is he unavailable?
6. What did Correll do after sustaining his injury?
7. What happens when Tonder loses control?
8. What do Tom and Will plan to do as they ecape, and why?
9. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
10. What did the Mayor have to do if he wanted to avoid being executed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
The town and country in this book were not ever named. Why do you think the author chose to withhold this information, and how did it change the feeling of the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this play as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)