|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lanterns are lit when electricity goes down?
2. What thoughts give the Mayor shame while he is under arrest?
3. Who is the only solider to not question the news from home?
4. Why is black paper put on the windows?
5. Why does Mrs. Morden make Tonder leave when he promises not to hurt her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Lanser want to put in charge of gathering the packages, and why is he unavailable?
2. Why does Tonder say he wants to visit with Molly?
3. Why doesCorrell say his arm is in a sling?
4. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
5. What do Tom and Will plan to do as they ecape, and why?
6. Why can the soldiers not punish the mine workers by withholding food?
7. What happens when Tonder loses control?
8. What did the Mayor have to do if he wanted to avoid being executed?
9. What punishment does Loft create for insubordinate mine workers?
10. How do some soldiers get sent home, and why do more soldiers not try this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was a key motivator to the people of this town. What were the people willing to do for their freedom, and how did this affect their relationship with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)