|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people know how to use the packages they find?
2. What thoughts give the Mayor shame while he is under arrest?
3. Who does Tom plan to take with him when he escapes to England?
4. Why do the soldiers not venture out alone?
5. Who does Tonder shout at during the occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the people use the dynamite sent to them by the air drops?
2. How does Loft show his naievte?
3. What was the quote that the Mayor was thinking of before his execution?
4. What punishment does Loft create for insubordinate mine workers?
5. What does Correll say will be done to create order in the town after the packages are dropped?
6. What request does the Mayor make to the Anders brothers before they leave?
7. What did the Mayor have to do if he wanted to avoid being executed?
8. What does Lanser plead with the Mayor to do before his execution, and what did this show?
9. Who does Lanser want to put in charge of gathering the packages, and why is he unavailable?
10. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winter and the Mayor are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is another strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)