|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers get news from home?
2. What horrible things do the soldiers find in the snow in winter?
3. What does the Mayor call his predicament to his wife before his execution?
4. Why do the soldiers not venture out alone?
5. Why is black paper put on the windows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
2. What does Molly's comment to Tonder about sausages mean?
3. How do some soldiers get sent home, and why do more soldiers not try this?
4. Why doesCorrell say his arm is in a sling?
5. What does Molly do when she knows Tonder is at the door for the second time?
6. What does Lanser plead with the Mayor to do before his execution, and what did this show?
7. What makes the soldiers so miserable during the winter?
8. What causes the Mayor to feel ashamed before his execution?
9. What request does the Mayor make to the Anders brothers before they leave?
10. What happens when Tonder loses control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)