|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie do while the Mayor is at Mrs. Morden's house?
2. Where is the Mayor put under arrest?
3. What causes soldiers to be sent home?
4. What is printed on the packages dropped around town?
5. Who does Lanser put in charge of finding the packages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tonder feel when he finds out who Molly is, and what does he do about it?
2. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
3. How does Loft show his naievte?
4. What did Correll do after sustaining his injury?
5. How do some soldiers get sent home, and why do more soldiers not try this?
6. Who does Lanser want to put in charge of gathering the packages, and why is he unavailable?
7. What do the townspeople do to make the soldiers weaker?
8. What punishment does Loft create for insubordinate mine workers?
9. Why can the soldiers not punish the mine workers by withholding food?
10. Why does Annie get suspicious of Molly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is a major theme in this book. How is this theme presented, and how did it affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was a key motivator to the people of this town. What were the people willing to do for their freedom, and how did this affect their relationship with each other?
Essay Topic 3
The town and country in this book were not ever named. Why do you think the author chose to withhold this information, and how did it change the feeling of the narrative.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)