|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a pin-up of a glamorous woman?
2. Who is the last person to speak with Alex before he dies?
3. How does Annie feel when she hears townspeople are escaping?
4. How many soldiers invade the town?
5. What do people encourage Prackle to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lanser say that let the Mayor know he had been in war situations before?
2. What is Alex's defense at his trial?
3. What are Lanser and Mayor Orden supposed to be symbolizing in this narrative?
4. What does Dr. Winter say the townspeople will do after the invasion, and why does he think this?
5. How does Lanser request his meeting with the Mayor?
6. What does the Mayor say he will have to do before making any firm decisions with Lanser?
7. How does the Mayor say Lanser broke the law?
8. Why does Winter think the soldiers are having a public trial for Alexander?
9. What does Correll ask of Lanser, and what answer does he get?
10. What does Correll give the soldiers in his town at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this play as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)