|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lanser command after someone comes to the Palace all bloody?
2. What was Bentick killed with?
3. How does Tonder want to die?
4. Who ends up sitting in judgment for the murderer?
5. Who tells Annie about the townspeople who are escaping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What country is Bentick enamored with, and how does he show this?
2. What is Alex's defense at his trial?
3. What does Correll give the soldiers in his town at the beginning of the book?
4. Why does Winter think the soldiers are having a public trial for Alexander?
5. What does Annie do when she gets mad at some soldiers?
6. What does Orden say must be done before he will follow Lanser blindly?
7. How does the Mayor say Lanser broke the law?
8. What is Joseph most concerned about when the invading forces come into the house?
9. How does Lanser request his meeting with the Mayor?
10. How does Lanser say he knows something bad is coming before the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)