|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annie feel before the trial?
2. What does Lanser say he does not want when he meets with the Mayor?
3. How does the Mayor say Lanser broke the law?
4. Who is Loft said to be the opposite of?
5. What was Hunter's occupation before entering the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lanser say that let the Mayor know he had been in war situations before?
2. What reasons does Lanser give for his answer to Correll?
3. What does the Mayor say will be the start to the resistance?
4. What happens immediately after the execution of Alex?
5. What does Annie do when she gets mad at some soldiers?
6. What are Lanser and Mayor Orden supposed to be symbolizing in this narrative?
7. What does Correll give the soldiers in his town at the beginning of the book?
8. What is Alex's defense at his trial?
9. How does Annie get a huge reputation in the town?
10. What does Joseph say to cheer up Annie before the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winter and the Mayor are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)