|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many weapons does the Mayor have?
2. Who talks about a man of no memories?
3. What does Alex say he did not know about his attack on Bentick?
4. What causes someone to come to the Palace all bloody after the execution?
5. How is Loft different from other Captains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lanser and Mayor Orden supposed to be symbolizing in this narrative?
2. What does Correll give the soldiers in his town at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Annie say will happen if Alex is killed?
4. What makes the townspeople turn against Correll?
5. How does the Mayor say Lanser broke the law?
6. What does Lanser say about the affects of war when it is over?
7. What reasons does Lanser give for his answer to Correll?
8. Why does the Mayor say he feels like he is in a balancing act between the soldiers and the town?
9. What does Tonder dream about when Christmas rolls around?
10. How did Bentick died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is a major theme in this book. How is this theme presented, and how did it affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The town and country in this book were not ever named. Why do you think the author chose to withhold this information, and how did it change the feeling of the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is another strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)