|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lanser ask of the Mayor before his execution?
(a) To run and save his life.
(b) To tell the people to stop the explosions.
(c) To sign his book.
(d) To take an oath of peace.
2. What does Lanser fear most about the packages being dropped?
(a) That the success of it will spread to other occupied towns.
(b) That they will implode on contact.
(c) That his advisors will be disappointed in him.
(d) That he will be demoted or even executed for failure.
3. What does Mrs. Morden tell Tonder was the cost of her companionship?
(a) A week's worth of bread.
(c) Two sausages.
(d) A passage to England.
4. Why does Lanser feel panicked about the packages?
(a) He doesn't know how to stop it.
(b) He knows it will weaken morale.
(c) He knows people are escaping.
(d) He has never seen this tactic used before.
5. What is Mrs. Morden doing when Annie comes by?
(a) Packing a bag.
(b) Stoking a fire.
(c) Milling corn.
(d) Unravelling a sweater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tonder shout at during the occupation?
2. What emotion overtakes the fear that Mrs. Morden felt when Tonder first came to her house?
3. Who does Correll say is behind the uprising?
4. Why are the miners not punished with smaller food portions?
5. Who does Tom plan to take with him when he escapes to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has the most success of gathering the packages sent by the air drops?
2. Why can the soldiers not punish the mine workers by withholding food?
3. Who does Lanser want to put in charge of gathering the packages, and why is he unavailable?
4. How does Loft show his naievte?
5. What happened to Tom and Will's brother?
6. What was the quote that the Mayor was thinking of before his execution?
7. What did Correll do after sustaining his injury?
8. Why does Winters say the enemy has underestimated his people?
9. What do Tom and Will plan to do as they ecape, and why?
10. What makes the soldiers so miserable during the winter?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)