|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is the Authority's job, according to the Chairman, to ensure what?
2. What is the goal of Operation Hard Rock?
3. What is the intent of the meeting held in chapter 15?
4. How large is the laser gun infantry that Nielsen commands?
5. How do editorialists feel about the idea of a free Luna, in chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Chairman's response to Davis and Prof at the end of chapter 16?
2. How is the trip to Terra for Davis?
3. What are the benefits of using a catapult for shipping as explained by Davis to Dr. Chan?
4. What happens to Mike at the end of the novel?
5. How is Selene created?
6. What is the content of Selene's first speech?
7. What is the punishment for the six rapist/murderers?
8. What does Anna mention during the family's dinnertime discussion?
9. What part do women play in the Party?
10. According to Davis, what are the benefits of a line marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of whether Mike is expendable is brought up several times throughout the novel. Is Mike expendable because he is simply a computer, or is his self-awareness enough to make him a "real" being? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of the Warden and Selene. Which is a more effective leader? Which has more desirable leadership characteristics? Why? Do you think that if Selene had lived, he would have eventually been overthrown as the Warden was? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Mum and Wyoh are two of the most central female characters in the novel. Compare and contrast these two characters. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)