|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the natives say they will do if Ata uses their streams?
2. What did Brunot used to play with Strickland?
3. How does Dr. Coutras know Strickland?
4. What does Ata do to Strickland's painting after he is buried?
5. Where does Dirk wait for Blanche?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
2. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
3. How does Cohen know Strickland?
4. Why does Dirk want Crabbe to write Blanche a letter?
5. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
6. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
7. How does Dirk try to win Blanche back?
8. What does Ata do after Strickland dies?
9. What does Crabbe notice about Blanche when he sees her with Strickland?
10. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What suggestions are there earlier in the book that Charles Strickland would become the artist he eventually became? What does it express about the nature of art and the artist that someone as seemingly dull as Strickland can become a renowned artist?
Essay Topic 2
How long had Strickland has felt indifferently towards his family? How will Strickland's indifference towards people help him to achieve his aim to become an artist?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Tahiti setting affect Strickland and why does it affect him in this way? In what way does Tahiti show how unhappy Strickland was in Europe?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)