|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of herself has Blanche burned?
2. What does Strickland do as soon as he makes enough money on the plantation?
3. What does Tough Bill get in exchange for booking sailors jobs on ships?
4. What is the destination of the ship Strickland finds a job on after his fight with Bill?
5. What does Crabbe say Dirk nursed Strickland like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
2. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
3. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
4. Why does Crabbe have a begrudging respect for Strickland?
5. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
6. How does Crabbe wish he could his story about Strickland more compelling?
7. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
8. What does Coutras think is so wonderful about Strickland's final paintings?
9. How does Mrs. Strickland react to news about her husband?
10. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Crabbe present Crabbe as a weak man? Would his character be presented as weak in contemporary literature?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Crabbe feel so guilty? What could he have done to prevent what happened? In what way do Crabbe's actions show the true instincts of a writer?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could it be said that Crabbe identifies with Strickland? What suggestions are there in the book that Crabbe is not the person he is trying to present himself to be? Do people become better artists if they are more truthful about themselves?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)