|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Strickland suggest he and Crab do together?
2. What is the piano covered with?
3. What does Crabbe say the carriage driver dismisses the dead with?
4. What did Cohen employ Strickland as?
5. Why does Dirk refuse to do what Crabbe suggests he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
2. How did Nichols and Strickland become friends?
3. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
4. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
5. How does Crabbe wish he could his story about Strickland more compelling?
6. What does Crabbe think about Blanche in this section?
7. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
8. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
9. What observation does Crabbe make about Strickland's relationship with Blanche?
10. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Crabbe feel so guilty? What could he have done to prevent what happened? In what way do Crabbe's actions show the true instincts of a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)