|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Crabbe think Nichols heard the story he tells about Strickland?
2. How does Brunot say Strickland lived?
3. Why can't Stroeve destroy the painting?
4. What did Strickland mostly paint while in Tahiti?
5. What does Strickland do as soon as he makes enough money on the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
2. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
3. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
4. How does Tiare like to help people?
5. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
6. How did Tiare persuade Strickland to marry Ata?
7. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
8. Why does Dirk want Crabbe to write Blanche a letter?
9. What does Ata do after Strickland dies?
10. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What suggestions are there earlier in the book that Charles Strickland would become the artist he eventually became? What does it express about the nature of art and the artist that someone as seemingly dull as Strickland can become a renowned artist?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Crabbe's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Crabbe hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Crabbe's ideas about life?
3. How has Crabbe's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Crabbe feel so guilty? What could he have done to prevent what happened? In what way do Crabbe's actions show the true instincts of a writer?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)