|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Crabbe think Nichols heard the story he tells about Strickland?
2. What does Crabbe call the parts of Strickland's life which is known to the public?
3. What does Crabbe think Dirk's mother has cheeks like?
4. What does Strickland say is a weakness?
5. What does Blanche do when she becomes exasperated with Dirk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
2. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
3. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
4. How did Tiare persuade Strickland to marry Ata?
5. Why does Crabbe have a begrudging respect for Strickland?
6. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
7. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
8. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
9. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
10. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much do the students think Blanche's past contributed to her tragic ending? How do the students think Blanche's past shaped her decisions in the book? Do the students think she needed Dirk to help her get over her past? How do the students think Strickland is connected to her past?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Crabbe's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Crabbe hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Crabbe's ideas about life?
3. How has Crabbe's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What suggestions are there earlier in the book that Charles Strickland would become the artist he eventually became? What does it express about the nature of art and the artist that someone as seemingly dull as Strickland can become a renowned artist?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)