|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Crabbe think Nichols heard the story he tells about Strickland?
2. What does Strickland suggest he and Crab do together?
3. Where does Strickland want to go when he hears he has leprosy?
4. What does Crabbe say he is beginning to get bored with?
5. What did Stroeve's father want him to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
2. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
3. How did Nichols and Strickland become friends?
4. Why does Dirk want Crabbe to write Blanche a letter?
5. How does Cohen know Strickland?
6. What does Crabbe notice about Blanche when he sees her with Strickland?
7. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
8. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
9. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
10. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Strickland's relationship with his first wife Amy? What reasons did they marry each other in the first place? Are there suggestions that Strickland had ulterior motives for marrying Amy?
Essay Topic 2
What was Strickland's life like on Tahiti? In what way could it be said that he finally found peace with himself?
Essay Topic 3
How much do the students think Blanche's past contributed to her tragic ending? How do the students think Blanche's past shaped her decisions in the book? Do the students think she needed Dirk to help her get over her past? How do the students think Strickland is connected to her past?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)