|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
2. What does Stroeve start doing twice a day?
3. Where does Nichols say he took Strickland for breakfast?
4. What does Crabbe think of Strickland's paintings?
5. What does Crabbe say is Strickland's constant struggle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tiare like to help people?
2. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
3. Why does Crabbe have a begrudging respect for Strickland?
4. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
5. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
6. How does Cohen know Strickland?
7. How did Nichols and Strickland become friends?
8. What does Ata do after Strickland dies?
9. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
10. Why does Dirk want Crabbe to write Blanche a letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it be said that Crabbe identifies with Strickland? What suggestions are there in the book that Crabbe is not the person he is trying to present himself to be? Do people become better artists if they are more truthful about themselves?
Essay Topic 2
How long had Strickland has felt indifferently towards his family? How will Strickland's indifference towards people help him to achieve his aim to become an artist?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Crabbe feel so guilty? What could he have done to prevent what happened? In what way do Crabbe's actions show the true instincts of a writer?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)