|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crabbe say Dirk nursed Strickland like?
2. What did Stroeve's father want him to become?
3. What does Brunot say he has used to create his beauty?
4. What nationality is Brunot?
5. How does Brunot say Strickland lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crabbe notice about Blanche when he sees her with Strickland?
2. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
3. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
4. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
5. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
6. How does Crabbe wish he could his story about Strickland more compelling?
7. What are Dirk's feelings about beauty?
8. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
9. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
10. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How long had Strickland has felt indifferently towards his family? How will Strickland's indifference towards people help him to achieve his aim to become an artist?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could it be said that Crabbe identifies with Strickland? What suggestions are there in the book that Crabbe is not the person he is trying to present himself to be? Do people become better artists if they are more truthful about themselves?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)