|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crabbe call the parts of Strickland's life which is known to the public?
2. What does Crabbe think Dirk's father does in the evening?
3. What does Stroeve try to use to destroy the painting?
4. What country did Abraham decide was perfect for him?
5. Where does Strickland want to go when he hears he has leprosy?
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it be said that Crabbe identifies with Strickland? What suggestions are there in the book that Crabbe is not the person he is trying to present himself to be? Do people become better artists if they are more truthful about themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)