|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brunot plan to use his Strickland paintings for in the future?
2. Why can't Stroeve destroy the painting?
3. Where does Crabbe think Nichols heard the story he tells about Strickland?
4. Why is Dr. Coutras surprised Strickland could paint the hut?
5. What does Strickland paint for Cohen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
2. What does Crabbe think about Strickland's paintings?
3. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
4. How does Mrs. Strickland react to news about her husband?
5. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
6. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
7. How did Tiare persuade Strickland to marry Ata?
8. What does Coutras think is so wonderful about Strickland's final paintings?
9. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
10. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Blanche fear Strickland? What does it say about Blanche's past that she does feel such fear for him? Do the students think she fears Strickland or what he brings out in herself?
Essay Topic 2
What signs are there in the book that Blanche is such an unstable person? How is her insecurity linked to her fear of Strickland?
Essay Topic 3
How much do the students think Blanche's past contributed to her tragic ending? How do the students think Blanche's past shaped her decisions in the book? Do the students think she needed Dirk to help her get over her past? How do the students think Strickland is connected to her past?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)