|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blanche do when she becomes exasperated with Dirk?
2. What does Brunot say he has used to create his beauty?
3. What does Nichols think Tough Bill will do as soon as he is out of hospital?
4. What kind of Strickland painting does Dr. Coutras own?
5. Why is Dr. Coutras surprised Strickland could paint the hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
2. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
3. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
4. What does Coutras think is so wonderful about Strickland's final paintings?
5. How does Cohen know Strickland?
6. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
7. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
8. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
9. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
10. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it be said that Crabbe identifies with Strickland? What suggestions are there in the book that Crabbe is not the person he is trying to present himself to be? Do people become better artists if they are more truthful about themselves?
Essay Topic 2
How much do the students think Blanche's past contributed to her tragic ending? How do the students think Blanche's past shaped her decisions in the book? Do the students think she needed Dirk to help her get over her past? How do the students think Strickland is connected to her past?
Essay Topic 3
In what way do Amy and Strickland's lives take an opposite direction after Strickland leaves for Paris? What does it say about their natural characters that they both succeed in their new lives?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)