|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crabbe say he would like to represent Mrs. Strickland as?
2. What was the name of Strickland's Tahitian wife?
3. What part of herself has Blanche burned?
4. What does Crabbe suggest Dirk do?
5. What did Cohen employ Strickland as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
2. What observation does Crabbe make about Strickland's relationship with Blanche?
3. Why does Crabbe have a begrudging respect for Strickland?
4. How does Cohen know Strickland?
5. How does Dirk try to win Blanche back?
6. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
7. How does Crabbe wish he could his story about Strickland more compelling?
8. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
9. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
10. How did Tiare persuade Strickland to marry Ata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Strickland's life like on Tahiti? In what way could it be said that he finally found peace with himself?
Essay Topic 2
How does Blanche's death affect Dirk and Strickland differently? In what way does Blanche's death seem to change Strickland as a person? What suggestions are there that Dirk is likely to get over Blanche's death quicker than Strickland?
Essay Topic 3
What suggestions are there earlier in the book that Charles Strickland would become the artist he eventually became? What does it express about the nature of art and the artist that someone as seemingly dull as Strickland can become a renowned artist?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)