|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Crabbe think Blanche took satisfaction in destroying Dirk?
2. What part of herself has Blanche burned?
3. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
4. What does Stroeve try to use to destroy the painting?
5. Where does Nichols say he and Strickland used to spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crabbe think about Blanche in this section?
2. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
3. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
4. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
5. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
6. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
7. How does Dirk try to win Blanche back?
8. What observation does Crabbe make about Strickland's relationship with Blanche?
9. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
10. How did Tiare persuade Strickland to marry Ata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What was Strickland's life like on Tahiti? In what way could it be said that he finally found peace with himself?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)