|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nichols say he met Strickland?
2. What does Strickland ask Crabbe when they meet on the street?
3. What does Crabbe say Dirk does for the first time in a week?
4. What is Abraham's job in Egypt?
5. Where does Strickland want to go when he hears he has leprosy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
2. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
3. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
4. What does Coutras think is so wonderful about Strickland's final paintings?
5. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
6. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
7. What are Dirk's feelings about beauty?
8. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
9. How does Tiare like to help people?
10. What observation does Crabbe make about Strickland's relationship with Blanche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What signs are there in the book that Blanche is such an unstable person? How is her insecurity linked to her fear of Strickland?
Essay Topic 3
What suggestions are there earlier in the book that Charles Strickland would become the artist he eventually became? What does it express about the nature of art and the artist that someone as seemingly dull as Strickland can become a renowned artist?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)