|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Abraham decide was perfect for him?
2. What does Strickland invite Crabbe to see?
3. What does Tough Bill get in exchange for booking sailors jobs on ships?
4. What does Tough Bill give Strickland in this section?
5. What nationality is Brunot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
2. How does Crabbe wish he could his story about Strickland more compelling?
3. What does Coutras think is so wonderful about Strickland's final paintings?
4. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
5. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
6. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
7. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
8. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
9. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
10. How does Cohen know Strickland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Crabbe present Crabbe as a weak man? Would his character be presented as weak in contemporary literature?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)