|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Strickland when Old Bill turns up looking for a fight?
2. What country does Crabbe suggest Dirk goes to for awhile?
3. What does Crabbe think Strickland is incapable of?
4. What was the name of the old sailor Strickland and Nichols stayed with?
5. What city does Strickland travel to after he shows Crabbe his paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crabbe think about Blanche in this section?
2. What does Crabbe notice about Blanche when he sees her with Strickland?
3. What does Crabbe think about Strickland's paintings?
4. What does Coutras think is so wonderful about Strickland's final paintings?
5. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
6. What observations does Crabbe make about Strickland and his passion for painting?
7. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
8. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
9. Why does Dirk want Crabbe to write Blanche a letter?
10. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What suggestions are there earlier in the book that Charles Strickland would become the artist he eventually became? What does it express about the nature of art and the artist that someone as seemingly dull as Strickland can become a renowned artist?
Essay Topic 2
In what way do Amy and Strickland's lives take an opposite direction after Strickland leaves for Paris? What does it say about their natural characters that they both succeed in their new lives?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Blanche fear Strickland? What does it say about Blanche's past that she does feel such fear for him? Do the students think she fears Strickland or what he brings out in herself?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)