|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Strickland say is a weakness?
2. Why is Dr. Coutras surprised Strickland could paint the hut?
3. Why does Strickland say he can't go to Holland?
4. What was the name of the old sailor Strickland and Nichols stayed with?
5. What does Crabbe call the parts of Strickland's life which is known to the public?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
2. What are Dirk's feelings about beauty?
3. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
4. How does Tiare like to help people?
5. What does Crabbe think about Blanche in this section?
6. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
7. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
8. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
9. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
10. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the attraction between Strickland and Blanche is mutual? How does the author foreshadow that Blanche will fall for Strickland?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Dirk known only as a hack? What does this view and the view that Dirk is nothing but a buffoon say about Crabbe's character? Does Strickland's success suggest that everyone possesses genius as long as they can find their true selves?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)