|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Strickland do as soon as he makes enough money on the plantation?
2. What does Nichols think Tough Bill will do as soon as he is out of hospital?
3. What does Crabbe call the parts of Strickland's life which is known to the public?
4. What does Crabbe think of Strickland's paintings?
5. What does Strickland say Dirk is good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
2. How does Dirk try to win Blanche back?
3. What does Crabbe notice about Blanche when he sees her with Strickland?
4. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
5. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
6. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
7. What are Dirk's feelings about beauty?
8. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
9. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
10. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How long had Strickland has felt indifferently towards his family? How will Strickland's indifference towards people help him to achieve his aim to become an artist?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Tahiti setting affect Strickland and why does it affect him in this way? In what way does Tahiti show how unhappy Strickland was in Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)