|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Strickland want to go when he hears he has leprosy?
2. What is the destination of the ship Strickland finds a job on after his fight with Bill?
3. What does Strickland suggest he and Crab do together?
4. What does Crabbe say Dirk nursed Strickland like?
5. Where does Nichols say he met Strickland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tiare like to help people?
2. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
3. How does Cohen know Strickland?
4. What are Dirk's feelings about beauty?
5. How did Nichols and Strickland become friends?
6. How does Strickland life change for the better when he marries Ata?
7. What does Crabbe think about Blanche in this section?
8. Why does Captain have to cut his time short with Crabbe?
9. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
10. How did Tiare persuade Strickland to marry Ata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the attraction between Strickland and Blanche is mutual? How does the author foreshadow that Blanche will fall for Strickland?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could it be said that Crabbe identifies with Strickland? What suggestions are there in the book that Crabbe is not the person he is trying to present himself to be? Do people become better artists if they are more truthful about themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)