|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dirk refuse to do what Crabbe suggests he do?
2. What does Tough Bill get in exchange for booking sailors jobs on ships?
3. What does Strickland invite Crabbe to see?
4. What disease does Strickland die from?
5. What does Crabbe call Strickland's relationship with Blanche?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Strickland react to news about her husband?
2. What observation does Crabbe make about Strickland's relationship with Blanche?
3. Why does Dirk refuse to go back to Holland?
4. How does Strickland's portrait of Blanche affect Dirk?
5. How do people's perception of Strickland's work change during his time in Tahiti?
6. What does Crabbe think about Blanche in this section?
7. How do the natives treat Ata when they hear Strickland has leprosy?
8. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
9. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
10. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much do the students think Blanche's past contributed to her tragic ending? How do the students think Blanche's past shaped her decisions in the book? Do the students think she needed Dirk to help her get over her past? How do the students think Strickland is connected to her past?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Strickland's relationship with his first wife Amy? What reasons did they marry each other in the first place? Are there suggestions that Strickland had ulterior motives for marrying Amy?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)