|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the natives say they will do if Ata uses their streams?
2. What does Crabbe think Strickland is incapable of?
3. Why is Dr. Coutras surprised Strickland could paint the hut?
4. What does Ata's son become?
5. What does the nurse say Blanche is too weak to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tiare think of men beating girls?
2. What observation does Crabbe make about Strickland's relationship with Blanche?
3. What does Coutras think is so wonderful about Strickland's final paintings?
4. How does Dirk try to win Blanche back?
5. What does Brunot remember about Strickland?
6. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
7. What does Strickland say about his relationship with Blanche?
8. Why does Crabbe have a begrudging respect for Strickland?
9. Why does Brunot think he and Strickland are alike?
10. How does Cohen know Strickland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What is Strickland's relationship with his first wife Amy? What reasons did they marry each other in the first place? Are there suggestions that Strickland had ulterior motives for marrying Amy?
Essay Topic 3
How much do the students think Blanche's past contributed to her tragic ending? How do the students think Blanche's past shaped her decisions in the book? Do the students think she needed Dirk to help her get over her past? How do the students think Strickland is connected to her past?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)