|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crabbe try to find on Tahiti?
2. Why does Strickland say he can't go to Holland?
3. Why can't Stroeve destroy the painting?
4. Where in Marseilles does Nichols claim he first met Strickland?
5. What is Captain Nichol's job on Tahiti?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crabbe think about Strickland's paintings?
2. Why does Crabbe feel guilty in this section?
3. Why does Crabbe have a begrudging respect for Strickland?
4. How did Nichols and Strickland become friends?
5. How does Dirk try to win Blanche back?
6. What are Dirk's feelings about beauty?
7. What does Ata do after Strickland dies?
8. What does Strickland reveal about Blanche's past?
9. How has the poison damaged Blanche?
10. How did Tiare persuade Strickland to marry Ata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Dirk known only as a hack? What does this view and the view that Dirk is nothing but a buffoon say about Crabbe's character? Does Strickland's success suggest that everyone possesses genius as long as they can find their true selves?
Essay Topic 2
Is the attraction between Strickland and Blanche is mutual? How does the author foreshadow that Blanche will fall for Strickland?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)