|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Amy told her children has happened to their father?
2. What game does Amy say Charles is great at?
3. Why does Dirk say he wants to help Strickland?
4. What does the author say the Stricklands owed?
5. What is Mrs. Strickland's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Strickland deal with the prostitute in the restaurant?
2. How does Mrs. Strickland express her disgust for her husband by the way she brings up her daughter?
3. Why does Strickland say he has come to Paris?
4. How did Crabbe meet Mrs. Strickland?
5. Why does Strickland say he is looking forward to painting the plumber?
6. What is Rose Waterford's reaction to Strickland's disappearance?
7. How does Blanche surprise the author?
8. How is Mrs. Strickland coping with her husband's disappearance?
9. What does Strickland say he has been doing for the previous five years?
10. How does Mrs. Strickland begin to make something of her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Crabbe's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Crabbe hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Crabbe's ideas about life?
3. How has Crabbe's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Blanche's death affect Dirk and Strickland differently? In what way does Blanche's death seem to change Strickland as a person? What suggestions are there that Dirk is likely to get over Blanche's death quicker than Strickland?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Crabbe present Crabbe as a weak man? Would his character be presented as weak in contemporary literature?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)