|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose tell the author Charles Strickland has done?
2. What is the painter's monument?
3. Which queen did Sir Walter Raleigh set down his cloak for?
4. What is Mrs. Stroeve mending?
5. What game does Amy say Charles is great at?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk say he made a fool of himself in this section?
2. What is Rose Waterford's reaction to Strickland's disappearance?
3. What does Charles say in his letter to his wife?
4. Why does Mrs. Strickland think Charles will return to her?
5. How did Crabbe meet Mrs. Strickland?
6. How is Mrs. Strickland coping with her husband's disappearance?
7. How does Strickland try to keep himself alive?
8. How does Mrs. Strickland express her disgust for her husband by the way she brings up her daughter?
9. How does the author describe Strickland's appearance?
10. How does Mrs. Strickalnd respond to the news that her husband wants to take up painting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Dirk known only as a hack? What does this view and the view that Dirk is nothing but a buffoon say about Crabbe's character? Does Strickland's success suggest that everyone possesses genius as long as they can find their true selves?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Tahiti setting affect Strickland and why does it affect him in this way? In what way does Tahiti show how unhappy Strickland was in Europe?
Essay Topic 3
In what way do Amy and Strickland's lives take an opposite direction after Strickland leaves for Paris? What does it say about their natural characters that they both succeed in their new lives?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)