|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crabbe buy on the way to the restaurant with Strickland?
2. What does the author say nature has made Dirk into?
3. Which of the following does Crabbe give as an example of a great and successful painter?
4. What does the author say it seemed like Mrs. Strickland's sister carried in her pocket?
5. What does Mrs. Stroeve say she will do if Dirk brings Strickland to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Strickland think he can become a successful painter?
2. What kind of painting does Dirk paint?
3. What is Rose Waterford's reaction to Strickland's disappearance?
4. What does the author think of Rev. Robert Strickland's biography of his father?
5. What does the author about George Crabbe's poetry?
6. How does Crabbe describe Mrs. Strickland?
7. What does Strickland say he has been doing for the previous five years?
8. What is Dirk's relationship with his wife?
9. How does Strickland deal with the prostitute in the restaurant?
10. How does Mrs. Strickland help Crabbe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How long had Strickland has felt indifferently towards his family? How will Strickland's indifference towards people help him to achieve his aim to become an artist?
Essay Topic 2
What suggestions are there earlier in the book that Charles Strickland would become the artist he eventually became? What does it express about the nature of art and the artist that someone as seemingly dull as Strickland can become a renowned artist?
Essay Topic 3
What is Strickland's relationship with his first wife Amy? What reasons did they marry each other in the first place? Are there suggestions that Strickland had ulterior motives for marrying Amy?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)