|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many paintings were discovered at the repository in the Altausee mine?
2. Whose name was on the casket that was adorned with a wreath and red ribbons in the mine at Bernterode?
3. What was the name of the Austrian that claimed to have been parachuted into the area [of Altaussee] by the British to organize resistance?
4. How many miles from Salzberg is the Pötschen Pass located?
5. When Hans Frank was apprehended by U.S. forces, he turned over how many volumes of his personal diaries to his captors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Harry Ettlinger manage to locate and recover his grandfather’s art collection?
2. When did Lieutenant George Stout arrive in Altaussee? How many artifacts were uncovered and catalogued by Stout there?
3. How does the author describe the setting of Altaussee, Germany in Part IV: “The Void,” Chapter 37?
4. To whom did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer write to on May 17, 1945? What is stated in this letter?
5. What did Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein find in Trier, Germany, in March of 1945?
6. Who did the dentist’s son turn out to be that Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein met at a village outside of Trier?
7. Where were Lieutenant George Stout and Captain Walker Hancock on the first of May in 1945? What did they find at this location?
8. How many repositories does the author describe that were found in Germany following the war in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 53?
9. Where were the central figures of the Monuments Men assigned in early April of 1945?
10. What did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer find in Neuschwanstein on his visit in early May of 1945?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the figure of Jacques Jaujard from the narrative. What was Jacques Jaujard’s position within the network of the French National Museums? How did Jacques Jaujard protect many works from the Louvre? In what ways did he help James Rorimer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. Where did this assault take place? How many Allied casualties resulted from the Battle of the Bulge? What structural damage was done?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the site of Leptis Magna in modern-day Libya. During what century did the Berbers and Phoenicians supposedly found the city where this monument stands? What value does this ancient site have for civilizations and culture today?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)