|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the soldier that smashed the artwork in the home of a former Nazi official in March of 1945 because he was enraged at the Red Cross care packages found there?
2. Where was British Monuments Man Ronald Balfour when he was killed by shrapnel?
3. Where were the famed Amber Panels of Peter the Great looted from by the Nazis?
4. What is the valley along the border between France and Germany that Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein were traveling along in March of 1945, according to the author in Part III: “Germany,” Chapter 32?
5. Almost how many women and men had served in the multinational MFAA effort in WWII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events surrounded Hermann Göring and Hermann Bunjes in early May of 1945?
2. Who did the dentist’s son turn out to be that Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein met at a village outside of Trier?
3. Whom was Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer upset that he was unable to interrogate as he approached Neuschwanstein?
4. What events took place between April 16 and April 20, 1945, as described in the narrative?
5. Why does Robert Edsel assert that it was difficult to determine the story of Altaussee in the beginning of Part V: “The Aftermath”?
6. What does the author write of Harry Ettlinger’s meeting with Heinrich Hoffman in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 53?
7. What led to the explosives being placed in the Altaussee mine? What led to their removal in April of 1945?
8. How does the author describe the setting of Altaussee, Germany in Part IV: “The Void,” Chapter 37?
9. What did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer find in Neuschwanstein on his visit in early May of 1945?
10. Where were Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein assigned in April of 1945? What did they discover in this location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and discuss the life and career of Captain Walker Hancock. Where was Hancock a professor of sculpture? What awards had he earned for his work? How did Hancock’s military career begin? What led to his assignment to the MFAA?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the figure of George Stout in The Monuments Men. How old was George Stout when he first became involved in conservation? How well accepted was Stout within the art world? What role did Stout play in the preservation of art during World War II?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the bombing of Pearl Harbor and how America’s commitment to join the action in World War II influenced the art world and domestic culture in the U.S. How did these events lead up to the meeting between the museum curators described in the reading? Who attended this meeting?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)