|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose name was on the casket that was adorned with a wreath and red ribbons in the mine at Bernterode?
2. When did Frederick William I die?
3. When did the U.S. forces catch up with Hans Frank, the notorious Nazi-governor-general of occupied Poland?
4. Who was the chief of Hitler’s security police and the second-highest-ranking member of the SS in May of 1945?
5. Who painted Lady with an Ermine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Harry Ettlinger manage to locate and recover his grandfather’s art collection?
2. Where were the central figures of the Monuments Men assigned in early April of 1945?
3. How many repositories does the author describe that were found in Germany following the war in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 53?
4. Who did the dentist’s son turn out to be that Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein met at a village outside of Trier?
5. What events surrounded Hermann Göring and Hermann Bunjes in early May of 1945?
6. Why does Robert Edsel assert that it was difficult to determine the story of Altaussee in the beginning of Part V: “The Aftermath”?
7. When did Lieutenant George Stout arrive in Altaussee? How many artifacts were uncovered and catalogued by Stout there?
8. Where were Walker Hancock and George Stout when they learned of Major Ronald Edmund Balfour’s death? How did they respond?
9. What led to the explosives being placed in the Altaussee mine? What led to their removal in April of 1945?
10. Whom was Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer upset that he was unable to interrogate as he approached Neuschwanstein?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the figure of Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer in the narrative. How old was Rorimer when he landed in France? How did Rorimer stand apart from the other Monuments Men that the author has introduced in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of history and art within cultures and communities. What role do you think art, architecture, music, etc. play in the culture of a community? Why is it important to protect the relics and monuments of art from destruction during wartime?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of Normandy, Saint-Lô, and Mont Saint-Michel, France. When did the landings at Normandy take place? How many soldiers were deployed on D-Day? How many were killed? How were the cities of Normandy, Saint-Lô, and Mont Saint-Michel, France impacted by the WWII battles that took place there?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)