|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decade was it when Ernst Kubin located the source material to determine what really happened at Altaussee?
2. In July/August of 1945, a building at Marburg University was requisitioned for the collection of archives of the Monuments Men. Who was placed in charge of this facility?
3. What painting by Raphael was officially listed as missing among the masterpieces stolen from the Czartoryski Collection in Cracow?
4. What word from Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 51 means leaving no doubt or ambiguity?
5. By June 4, 1945, how many repositories had been discovered in the U.S. Seventh Army territory alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who worked with Lieutenant George Stout and Captain Walker Hancock in Bernterode? How long did this mission take?
2. When did Captain Robert Posey and Private First Class Lincoln Kirstein arrive in Altaussee? What did they discover there?
3. What does the author write of Harry Ettlinger’s meeting with Heinrich Hoffman in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 53?
4. What led to the explosives being placed in the Altaussee mine? What led to their removal in April of 1945?
5. Whom does Robert Edsel credit as the “true hero of Altaussee” in Part V: “The Aftermath”? Why?
6. How many repositories does the author describe that were found in Germany following the war in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 53?
7. How does the author describe the setting of Altaussee, Germany in Part IV: “The Void,” Chapter 37?
8. When did Lieutenant George Stout arrive in Altaussee? How many artifacts were uncovered and catalogued by Stout there?
9. When did Lieutenant George Stout leave Europe? How does the author describe his demeanor as he left?
10. How does the author describe Albert Speer in Part III: “Germany”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the establishment and structure of the MFAA. How many Monuments Men were there overall in 1944? How many were from the U.S.? Where were these operatives distributed in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Aachen, Germany and the Palatine Chapel. When was Charlemagne's Palace of Aachen built? What happened to the other parts of the Palace? How was the Palatine Chapel impacted by the battles of World War II?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and work of Rose Valland. How did Rose Valland learn the German language? How was she able to convince the Nazis that she didn’t know German? What actions did Valland take that helped the Monuments Men in locating art?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)