|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The view from La Gleize, Belgium, overlooks what forest?
2. Who was the first of the Monuments Men to visit the abbey at Monte Cassino to inspect the ruins?
3. What archeological colleague of Colonel Wheeler’s “happened to be serving as an artillery captain in a unit near Leptis Magna,” according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
4. According to the author, Givet, Belgium was a replacement depot when Harry Ettlinger arrived there. What term did the men call this staging area for replacement troops?
5. On what date was Michelangelo's Bruges Madonna sculpture taken by German soldiers in Belgium?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Harry Ettlinger’s arrival in Europe described in Part III: “Germany,” Chapter 24? When did he arrive?
2. How does the author describe the mission of Captain Mason Hammond in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 6?
3. What is the history of the Ghent Altarpiece? Where did the work end up during World War II?
4. What letter is quoted in the introduction to Part II: "Northern Europe"? Who wrote the letter?
5. Where was Lieutenant Colonel Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler stationed in January of 1943? How does the author describe his perception of this setting in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
6. When did the Ettlinger family settle in Karlsruhe? What history of the family is described in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 1?
7. With whom did Lieutenant Colonel Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler work in his efforts at conservation in January of 1943, according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
8. Where were Captain Robert Posey and Captain Walker Hancock assigned after the victory of the Allies in Metz? What did they discover in these locations?
9. Where was Hermann Göring’s art collection transported in March of 1945? Why?
10. Who comprised the group known as the Monuments Men? How does the author characterize these individuals in his introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the figure of Lieutenant Colonel Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler in the narrative. What was Wheeler’s profession before he joined the British North African Army? How old was he in 1943? What were his thoughts when he saw the destruction at Leptis Magna?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the bombing of Pearl Harbor and how America’s commitment to join the action in World War II influenced the art world and domestic culture in the U.S. How did these events lead up to the meeting between the museum curators described in the reading? Who attended this meeting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the figure of George Stout in The Monuments Men. How old was George Stout when he first became involved in conservation? How well accepted was Stout within the art world? What role did Stout play in the preservation of art during World War II?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)