|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What archeological colleague of Colonel Wheeler’s “happened to be serving as an artillery captain in a unit near Leptis Magna,” according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
2. Rose Valland became volunteer assistant curator at what museum in 1932?
3. On what date did the Führer give the ERR the authorization to “search lodges, libraries and archives in the occupied territories of the west for material valuable to Germany, and to safeguard the latter through the Gestapo”?
4. The author states in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission” that the Monuments Men were a group of men and women from how many nations?
5. In what year was Harry Ettlinger “banned from the local sports association,” according to the author in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history of the Ghent Altarpiece? Where did the work end up during World War II?
2. Where were the central Monuments Men during the Battle of the Bulge? What work were they doing at this time?
3. What mission did Captain Walker Hancock and Lieutenant George Stout undertake in October of 1944?
4. How large was the MFAA when George Stout was first assigned to this unit in 1944? How were the members structured?
5. What reinforcements arrived to assist the Monuments Men in late 1944? What were their roles?
6. What realization did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer make regarding the locations of the most valuable works of art based on the information he gained from Rose Valland in 1945?
7. When did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer arrive in Normandy? What was his mission there?
8. What took place at the meeting of the Monuments Men in France on August 13, 1944? Where did they meet?
9. How does the author describe Lieutenant George Stout in 1944 and before this point? What was Stout’s specialty in the art world?
10. What led up to the looting of the Bruges Madonna sculpture in 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. Where did this assault take place? How many Allied casualties resulted from the Battle of the Bulge? What structural damage was done?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the figure of Major Ronald Edmund Balfour in the narrative. How old was Balfour in 1944? Where had he worked as a historian and lecturer? When and how was Balfour killed in WWII? What impact did his death have on the other Monuments Men?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and discuss the life and career of Captain Walker Hancock. Where was Hancock a professor of sculpture? What awards had he earned for his work? How did Hancock’s military career begin? What led to his assignment to the MFAA?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)