|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harry Ettlinger attend basic training for the Army?
2. Who is cited with the quotation describing the scientific breakthroughs he made with George Stout between 1927 and 1932 in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
3. The First Reich refers to what empire?
4. What is the title of Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapter 21?
5. Who painted the Ghent Altarpiece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What “hard copies” did Rose Valland pass along to Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer in 1945?
2. What mission did Captain Walker Hancock and Lieutenant George Stout undertake in October of 1944?
3. With whom did Lieutenant Colonel Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler work in his efforts at conservation in January of 1943, according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
4. What hardships did Harry Ettlinger and his family encounter in Karlsruhe, Germany, in the 1930s?
5. What did Captain Walker Hancock find when he returned to La Gleize after the Battle of the Bulge? How did he fulfill his mission there?
6. How does the author describe Lieutenant George Stout in 1944 and before this point? What was Stout’s specialty in the art world?
7. What letter is quoted in the introduction to Part II: "Northern Europe"? Who wrote the letter?
8. What is the history of the Ghent Altarpiece? Where did the work end up during World War II?
9. How did Rose Valland’s actions protect valuable works of art in August of 1944?
10. What led up to the looting of the Bruges Madonna sculpture in 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer and the Demolitions on Reich Territory Decree of 1945 (the “Nero Decree”). When did Albert Speer join the Nazi Party? What was his connection to Adolf Hitler? Why did Albert Speer oppose the Demolitions on Reich Territory Decree of 1945?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the settings of Normandy, Saint-Lô, and Mont Saint-Michel, France. When did the landings at Normandy take place? How many soldiers were deployed on D-Day? How many were killed? How were the cities of Normandy, Saint-Lô, and Mont Saint-Michel, France impacted by the WWII battles that took place there?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the figure of Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer in the narrative. How old was Rorimer when he landed in France? How did Rorimer stand apart from the other Monuments Men that the author has introduced in the book?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)