|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years was Franklin D. Roosevelt in office as President of the U.S.?
2. After the Allied victory at Saint-Lô, who was the former schoolteacher and popular officer whose body was wrapped in an American flag and hoisted atop the ruins of the church of Sainte-Croix?
3. When was the city of Karlsruhe, Germany, established?
4. The First Reich refers to what empire?
5. When did Allied forces bomb Monte Cassino, Italy and destroy the abbey there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reinforcements arrived to assist the Monuments Men in late 1944? What were their roles?
2. When did the Monuments Men operate? What was their mission in World War II?
3. What mission did Captain Walker Hancock and Lieutenant George Stout undertake in October of 1944?
4. Where were Captain Robert Posey and Captain Walker Hancock assigned after the victory of the Allies in Metz? What did they discover in these locations?
5. When did the Allied forces bomb the abbey at Monte Cassino, Italy? How did this event reflect upon the Allies?
6. What hardships did Harry Ettlinger and his family encounter in Karlsruhe, Germany, in the 1930s?
7. How large was the MFAA when George Stout was first assigned to this unit in 1944? How were the members structured?
8. Where were the central Monuments Men during the Battle of the Bulge? What work were they doing at this time?
9. How did Rose Valland’s actions protect valuable works of art in August of 1944?
10. What is the history of the Ghent Altarpiece? Where did the work end up during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer and the Demolitions on Reich Territory Decree of 1945 (the “Nero Decree”). When did Albert Speer join the Nazi Party? What was his connection to Adolf Hitler? Why did Albert Speer oppose the Demolitions on Reich Territory Decree of 1945?
Essay Topic 2
Examine and discuss the life and career of Captain Walker Hancock. Where was Hancock a professor of sculpture? What awards had he earned for his work? How did Hancock’s military career begin? What led to his assignment to the MFAA?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the figure of Major Ronald Edmund Balfour in the narrative. How old was Balfour in 1944? Where had he worked as a historian and lecturer? When and how was Balfour killed in WWII? What impact did his death have on the other Monuments Men?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)