|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Around what year did Seligmann’s descendants choose the surname Ettlinger?
2. How old was the oldest of the Monuments Men, according to the author in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
3. What archeological colleague of Colonel Wheeler’s “happened to be serving as an artillery captain in a unit near Leptis Magna,” according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
4. The chronicle of Nazi Berlin titled I Am a Camera eventually became the basis for what musical?
5. Who was the first of the Monuments Men to visit the abbey at Monte Cassino to inspect the ruins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer obtain in Paris in November of 1944?
2. What letter is quoted in the introduction to Part II: "Northern Europe"? Who wrote the letter?
3. What realization did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer make regarding the locations of the most valuable works of art based on the information he gained from Rose Valland in 1945?
4. How large was the MFAA when George Stout was first assigned to this unit in 1944? How were the members structured?
5. How did Rose Valland obtain the information that she passed along to Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer?
6. With whom did Lieutenant Colonel Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler work in his efforts at conservation in January of 1943, according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
7. What reinforcements arrived to assist the Monuments Men in late 1944? What were their roles?
8. How does the author describe the mission of Captain Mason Hammond in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 6?
9. How did Adolf Hitler feel about the displays of artwork and architecture in Italy? Where had Hitler intended to develop his own art city?
10. What hardships did Harry Ettlinger and his family encounter in Karlsruhe, Germany, in the 1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the figure of Lieutenant Colonel Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler in the narrative. What was Wheeler’s profession before he joined the British North African Army? How old was he in 1943? What were his thoughts when he saw the destruction at Leptis Magna?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer and the Demolitions on Reich Territory Decree of 1945 (the “Nero Decree”). When did Albert Speer join the Nazi Party? What was his connection to Adolf Hitler? Why did Albert Speer oppose the Demolitions on Reich Territory Decree of 1945?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the history of Karlsruhe, Germany, and the treatment of Jews in 18th Century Europe. Why was it a luxury for Jews to settle anywhere in the city of Karlsruhe? When were the earliest sanctions against Jews within secular society adopted? What were the benefits for a family like the Ettlingers of living in Karlsruhe?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)