|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date did Albert Speer receive word that four officers had been executed on Hitler’s orders because they had not blown up the bridge at Remagen?
(a) March 6, 1944.
(b) September 17, 1940.
(c) March 18, 1945.
(d) July 17, 1944.
2. On what date did George Stout arrive in Bernterode, Germany, to assess the mine there?
(a) July 17, 1944.
(b) May 1, 1945.
(c) September 7, 1944.
(d) April 16, 1945.
3. According to the author, in December of 1944, a devastating British air raid had killed how many civilians in Heilbronn?
4. When was the Dachau concentration camp opened?
5. What was the name of Harry Ettlinger’s grandfather who fled Germany in 1939?
(a) Max Liebermann.
(b) Opa Oppenheimer.
(c) Martin Kippenberger.
(d) Jörg Immendorff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cologne had been hit by how many repeated Allied bombing runs when George Stout and Walker Hancock entered the city in March of 1945?
2. Where was British Monuments Man Ronald Balfour when he was killed by shrapnel?
3. Who was the head of the Mineralogical Department of the Natural History Museum, Vienna that supposedly sent a message alerting Major Pearson to the hidden treasures at Altaussee?
4. When Hans Frank was apprehended by U.S. forces, he turned over how many volumes of his personal diaries to his captors?
5. In addition to the mine, a glass factory was also running at Heilbronn when Harry Ettlinger arrived in September of 1945. What products were being produced at the glass factory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the destruction of the Friedrichshain tower and many of the relics inside on May 1, 1945?
2. What did Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein find in Trier, Germany, in March of 1945?
3. Where were the central figures of the Monuments Men assigned in early April of 1945?
4. For whom was Private Harry Ettlinger working as a translator in May of 1945? Where had he originally been assigned?
5. Who did the dentist’s son turn out to be that Captain Robert Posey and Private Lincoln Kirstein met at a village outside of Trier?
6. When did Captain Robert Posey and Private First Class Lincoln Kirstein arrive in Altaussee? What did they discover there?
7. What led to the explosives being placed in the Altaussee mine? What led to their removal in April of 1945?
8. What did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer find in Neuschwanstein on his visit in early May of 1945?
9. How does the author describe the work of the Monuments Men following the end of the war in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 53?
10. To whom did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer write to on May 17, 1945? What is stated in this letter?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)