|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decade was it when Ernst Kubin located the source material to determine what really happened at Altaussee?
(a) The 1960s.
(b) The 1970s.
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1980s.
2. The concentration camp at Buchenwald was liberated by the U.S. Third Army on what date?
(a) September 7, 1944.
(b) April 12, 1945.
(c) March 18, 1945.
(d) March 20, 1945.
3. How many gallons of water were leaked into the Heilbronn mine every day from the Neckar River?
4. Who was the general director of the Altaussee mining operations in April of 1945?
(a) Gauleiter Eigruber.
(b) Dr. Ernst Kaltenbrunner.
(c) Dr. Emmerich Pöchmüller.
(d) The Margrave Karl Wilhelm von Baden-Durlach.
5. Who painted St. Paul in Prison?
(a) Albrecht Dürer.
(c) Johannes Vermeer.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Harry Ettlinger’s grandfather fled Germany in 1939, he was forced to stash his art collection in a storage facility near what town?
2. What word from Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 51 means leaving no doubt or ambiguity?
3. What was the nickname of the Third Infantry Division of the U.S. Seventh Army?
4. How many paintings were discovered at the repository in the Altausee mine?
5. Who painted Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom was Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer upset that he was unable to interrogate as he approached Neuschwanstein?
2. Where were Walker Hancock and George Stout when they learned of Major Ronald Edmund Balfour’s death? How did they respond?
3. Why does the author state in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 54 that the reconstruction of Europe after World War II was one of the most complicated endeavors of modern times?
4. How and when did Adolf Hitler die? What did Hitler remark in his will regarding his art collection?
5. Where were Lieutenant George Stout and Captain Walker Hancock on the first of May in 1945? What did they find at this location?
6. How many repositories does the author describe that were found in Germany following the war in Part V: “The Aftermath,” Chapter 53?
7. What led to the explosives being placed in the Altaussee mine? What led to their removal in April of 1945?
8. What events took place between April 16 and April 20, 1945, as described in the narrative?
9. For whom was Private Harry Ettlinger working as a translator in May of 1945? Where had he originally been assigned?
10. What led to the destruction of the Friedrichshain tower and many of the relics inside on May 1, 1945?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)