|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rose Valland became volunteer assistant curator at what museum in 1932?
(a) The Metropolitan Museum.
(b) The Suermondt Museum.
(c) The Jeu de Paume Museum.
(d) The London Museum.
2. What is the date of Rosenberg’s transmittal letter to Hitler accompanying albums of photographs of works of art stolen for the Führermuseum in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 7?
(a) April 16, 1943.
(b) July 17, 1944.
(c) March 18, 1945.
(d) August 27, 1942.
3. The chronicle of Nazi Berlin titled I Am a Camera eventually became the basis for what musical?
(a) The Sound of Music.
(c) Les Miserables.
4. When did Allied forces bomb Monte Cassino, Italy and destroy the abbey there?
(a) February 15, 1944.
(b) April 16, 1943.
(c) March 18, 1945.
(d) September 7, 1944.
5. Where did Harry Ettlinger attend basic training for the Army?
(a) Macon, Georgia.
(b) San Diego, California.
(c) St. Louis, Missouri.
(d) Lexington, Kentucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was assigned to inspect monuments in Sicily on his own with no resources or assistance and once in Italy became buried by bureaucracy, according to the author in Part I: “The Mission”?
2. When did the Battle of Hürtgen Forest take place?
3. How old was the oldest of the Monuments Men, according to the author in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
4. What archeological colleague of Colonel Wheeler’s “happened to be serving as an artillery captain in a unit near Leptis Magna,” according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
5. When is the letter dated that is from James Rorimer to his wife Katherine in the opening of Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer arrive in Normandy? What was his mission there?
2. Where was Hermann Göring’s art collection transported in March of 1945? Why?
3. Where were the central Monuments Men during the Battle of the Bulge? What work were they doing at this time?
4. Where were Captain Robert Posey and Captain Walker Hancock assigned after the victory of the Allies in Metz? What did they discover in these locations?
5. What did Captain Walter Hancock find in Aachen, Germany during his trip there in late November of 1944?
6. What “hard copies” did Rose Valland pass along to Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer in 1945?
7. What letter is quoted in the introduction to Part II: "Northern Europe"? Who wrote the letter?
8. What did Captain Walker Hancock find when he returned to La Gleize after the Battle of the Bulge? How did he fulfill his mission there?
9. How does the author describe the mission of Captain Mason Hammond in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 6?
10. What is the history of the Ghent Altarpiece? Where did the work end up during World War II?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)