|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapter 21, the official role of the ERR was to provide material for whose “scholarly” institutes?
(a) Alfred Rosenberg’s.
(b) Emmerich Pöchmüller’s.
(c) Hermann Göring’s.
(d) Gauleiter Eigruber’s.
2. Shrivenham is described in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 8 as a small rural village about halfway between London and what city?
3. Who was the first Monuments Man to tour the valley of La Gleize, Belgium, after the Battle of the Bulge?
(a) Lamont Moore.
(b) Sheldon Keck.
(c) Bill Lesley.
(d) Rose Valland.
4. It was March of what year when the Germans annexed Austria?
5. Who painted the Ghent Altarpiece?
(a) Johannes Vermeer.
(b) Albrecht Dürer.
(d) Hubert and Jan van Eyck.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the letter addressed in Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapter 17 from George Stout on October 4, 1944?
2. When was the city of Karlsruhe, Germany, established?
3. What Irish writer and who lived in France described Saint-Lô as “the Capital of the Ruins” after the Allied victory there?
4. On what date did the 29th Infantry Division begin an all-out assault on the German 352nd Division at Saint-Lô in a surprise attack?
5. For what factory did Harry Ettlinger work to support his family while he was still in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer obtain in Paris in November of 1944?
2. How is Harry Ettlinger’s arrival in Europe described in Part III: “Germany,” Chapter 24? When did he arrive?
3. How does the author describe the mission of Captain Mason Hammond in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 6?
4. What is the history of the Ghent Altarpiece? Where did the work end up during World War II?
5. Where was Lieutenant Colonel Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler stationed in January of 1943? How does the author describe his perception of this setting in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5?
6. Where were the central Monuments Men during the Battle of the Bulge? What work were they doing at this time?
7. How large was the MFAA when George Stout was first assigned to this unit in 1944? How were the members structured?
8. What realization did Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer make regarding the locations of the most valuable works of art based on the information he gained from Rose Valland in 1945?
9. Where were Captain Robert Posey and Captain Walker Hancock assigned after the victory of the Allies in Metz? What did they discover in these locations?
10. When did the Ettlinger family settle in Karlsruhe? What history of the family is described in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 1?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)