|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date was Michelangelo's Bruges Madonna sculpture taken by German soldiers in Belgium?
(a) March 6, 1944.
(b) July 17, 1944.
(c) June 6, 1944.
(d) September 7, 1944.
2. When did the defeat of the German-Italian forces at the Second Battle of El Alamein take place?
(a) November, 1944.
(b) October, 1944.
(c) January, 1943.
(d) October, 1942.
3. For what factory did Harry Ettlinger work to support his family while he was still in high school?
(a) Schultz Manufacturing.
(b) Weimar Manufacturing.
(c) Shiman Manufacturing.
(d) Schmidt Manufacturing.
4. When was the Madonna of La Gleize carved?
(a) The 1400s.
(b) The 1500s.
(c) The 1200s.
(d) The 1300s.
5. The view from La Gleize, Belgium, overlooks what forest?
(a) The Trillemarka – Rollagsfjell Forest.
(b) The Crooked Forest.
(c) The Ardennes Forest.
(d) North Sentinel Island Forest.
6. During what years was Franklin D. Roosevelt in office as President of the U.S.?
7. According to the author in Chapter 11 of Part II: “Northern Europe,” the Hotel de Ville library which was destroyed contained the whose charter?
(a) William the Conqueror’s.
(b) The Margrave Karl Wilhelm von Baden-Durlach’s.
(c) Adolf Hitler’s.
(d) Gauleiter Eigruber’s.
8. Where was Ronald Balfour a historian prior to his service, according to the author in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 8?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Yale University.
(c) King’s College, Cambridge.
(d) The University of Minnesota.
9. The Madonna of La Gleize was moved to the cellar of whose house following the Battle of the Bulge?
(a) Sheldon Keck’s house.
(b) Rose Valland’s house.
(c) Monsieur George’s house.
(d) Albrecht Dürer’s house.
10. What is the date of the letter from Hitler directing Dr. Hans Posse on the construction of a museum in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 2?
(a) April 16, 1943.
(b) December 20, 1941.
(c) June 26, 1939.
(d) August 27, 1942.
11. When was the Ghent Altarpiece completed?
12. On what date was Harry Ettlinger’s nineteenth birthday?
(a) August 27, 1942.
(b) September 7, 1944.
(c) July 17, 1944.
(d) January 28, 1945.
13. Who was assigned by Stout to assist the newest U.S. Ninth Army Monuments officer, Walter “Hutch” Huchthausen, in December of 1944?
(a) Sheldon Keck.
(b) George A. Taylor.
(c) Lamont Moore.
(d) Jacques Jaujard.
14. Who is cited with the quotation describing the scientific breakthroughs he made with George Stout between 1927 and 1932 in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
(a) Sheldon Keck.
(b) John Gettens.
(c) Johannes Vermeer.
(d) Lamont Moore.
15. In what year was Harry Ettlinger “banned from the local sports association,” according to the author in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harry Ettlinger attend basic training for the Army?
2. Whom was Adolf Hitler visiting in Florence in May of 1938, according to the author in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 2?
3. What field refers to the technical art of preserving older or damaged works of art?
4. The author states in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission” that the Monuments Men were a group of men and women from how many nations?
5. What does “MFAA” stand for?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)