|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapters 10-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapter 10, the author states that the naval bombardment of Omaha Beach began at 5:37 a.m. on what date?
(a) June 6, 1944.
(b) May 27, 1944.
(c) February 15, 1944.
(d) March 6, 1944.
2. Where was George Stout from?
(a) Little Rock, Arkansas.
(b) Winterset, Iowa.
(c) Cleveland, Mississippi.
(d) St. Louis, Missouri.
3. The author states in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission” that the Monuments Men were a group of men and women from how many nations?
4. When was James Rorimer assigned to Paris, where he was to protect fifty-two official monuments, assist hundreds of Nazi looting victims, and track down many hundreds of missing public monuments?
(a) October, 1944.
(b) March, 1944.
(c) October, 1942.
(d) January, 1943.
5. What Austrian city did Hitler intend to redevelop into his own version of Florence, according to the author in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 2?
(a) Vienna, Austria.
(b) Salzburg, Austria.
(c) Altaussee, Austria.
(d) Linz, Austria.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 11 of Part II: “Northern Europe,” the Hotel de Ville library which was destroyed contained the whose charter?
2. On what date were America's cultural leaders called to a meeting at the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Metropolitan Museum director Francis Henry Taylor, according to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 3?
3. When was the city of Karlsruhe, Germany, established?
4. What Irish writer and who lived in France described Saint-Lô as “the Capital of the Ruins” after the Allied victory there?
5. It was March of what year when the Germans annexed Austria?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)