|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapters 10-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What field refers to the technical art of preserving older or damaged works of art?
2. The author states in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission” that the Monuments Men were a group of men and women from how many nations?
3. During what years was Franklin D. Roosevelt in office as President of the U.S.?
4. Who is cited with the quotation describing the scientific breakthroughs he made with George Stout between 1927 and 1932 in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
(a) Johannes Vermeer.
(b) Lamont Moore.
(c) Sheldon Keck.
(d) John Gettens.
5. Whom was Adolf Hitler visiting in Florence in May of 1938, according to the author in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 2?
(a) Benito Mussolini.
(b) Heinrich Hoffman.
(c) Hermann Göring.
(d) Dr. Ernst Kaltenbrunner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of George Stout’s wife?
2. Who was the first of the Monuments Men to visit the abbey at Monte Cassino to inspect the ruins?
3. Who rallied the survivors of the attack at Omaha Beach with the rallying cry, “Two kinds of people are staying on this beach, the dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here,” according to the author in Part II: “Northern Europe,” Chapter 10?
4. What is the date of the letter from Hitler directing Dr. Hans Posse on the construction of a museum in Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 2?
5. On what date did George Stout breathe “the first warm air of a British spring,” according to the author in the beginning of Part I: “The Mission,” Chapter 8?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)