|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: “The Mission,” Chapters 5 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who founded the city of Karlsruhe, Germany?
(a) Hans Holbein the Elder.
(b) Annette von Droste-Hülshoff.
(c) The Margrave Karl Wilhelm von Baden-Durlach.
(d) Johann Karl Friedrich Rosenkranz.
2. What field refers to the technical art of preserving older or damaged works of art?
3. Who was the first of the Monuments Men to visit the abbey at Monte Cassino to inspect the ruins?
(a) Major Ronald Edmund Balfour.
(b) Captain Walter Huchthause.
(c) Major Ernest DeWald.
(d) Second Lieutenant James J. Rorimer.
4. How many of the Monuments Men were still in their twenties, according to the author in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
5. Who was assigned to inspect monuments in Sicily on his own with no resources or assistance and once in Italy became buried by bureaucracy, according to the author in Part I: “The Mission”?
(a) Colonel George A. Taylor.
(b) Major Ronald Edmund Balfour.
(c) Lieutenant George Stout.
(d) Captain Mason Hammond.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was March of what year when the Germans annexed Austria?
2. According to the author in Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5, who held Egypt against the Nazis?
3. Part I: "The Mission," Chapter 5 describes events in North Africa at what time?
4. When did Allied forces bomb Monte Cassino, Italy and destroy the abbey there?
5. How old was the oldest of the Monuments Men, according to the author in the introduction to Part I: “The Mission”?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)