|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do robots insert up Smith's nose and anus?
2. What character is having a heart attack?
3. What do the group members hear approaching the houseboat as they play cards?
4. Who do Smith and Doc discuss?
5. What is Doc's primary mode of transport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam Love see through his field glasses?
2. In what way is Abbzug and Hayduke's relationship violent?
3. What does the newspaper say about the coal train?
4. How does Doc elude the driver that pursues him?
5. What does McKibben think is the only reason Abbey is dangerous?
6. How does Hayduke respond to Abbzug's declaration of love?
7. How does Doc show his love for Abbzug in Chapter 14?
8. What does Doc tell Smith and Abbzug at the airport?
9. Why does Hayduke think it is a good idea to destroy the bulldozers?
10. Why does Doc think Hayduke is trustworthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? How does he use the book to express his ideas about life and politics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)