|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of writer does McKibben characterize Abbey as?
2. What is the first state to try Smith, Abbzug and Doc?
3. Who does Abbzug believe to be sexist?
4. Why does Hayduke try to start a fight at the bar?
5. What does Hayduke find at the top of the plateau?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hayduke escape Bishop Love at the plateau?
2. How does Hayduke save Abbzug?
3. How does Hayduke show his fighting spirit at the beginning of the final section?
4. Summarize the novel.
5. How does Hayduke respond to Abbzug's declaration of love?
6. How is Hayduke a different person when he smokes marijuana?
7. Why does Doc think Hayduke is trustworthy?
8. What does the masked man say to Hayduke?
9. How does Doc show his anger in this section?
10. What does Sam Love see through his field glasses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? How does he use the book to express his ideas about life and politics?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)