|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Doc have to leave the group?
2. What does the group do to pass the time?
3. Where are Abbzug and Doc posted?
4. What kind of weapon does the group have with it as the helicopter pursues it?
5. Who do the rangers say they have caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Smith and Hayduke cope when they split from Abbzug and Doc?
2. What does the newspaper say about the coal train?
3. How is Smith captured?
4. How does Hayduke escape Bishop Love at the plateau?
5. How does Hayduke upset Abbzug?
6. How does Hayduke save Abbzug?
7. In what way is Abbzug and Hayduke's relationship violent?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. How do Doc and Abbzug get out of trouble at the beginning of this section?
10. How do Abbzug and Hayduke get together for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)