|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hayduke stop at a cafe?
2. What does Hayduke say his new job is?
3. What does Abbzug tell the ranger is Hayduke's name?
4. From whom does Smith steal meat?
5. What awakens Hayduke during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doc tell Smith and Abbzug at the airport?
2. What does the masked man say to Hayduke?
3. How do Abbzug and Hayduke get together for the first time?
4. What does Hayduke tell the group about his experiences in Vietnam?
5. How do the characters' lives change after the trial?
6. How do Doc and Abbzug get out of trouble at the beginning of this section?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. What does Smith dream about in this section?
9. How does Hayduke upset Abbzug?
10. How does Doc show his love for Abbzug in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Abbey's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Abbey's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid-1975 society:
2. Vietnam veterans.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)