|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bishop Love speak in defense of the group?
2. What alerts the guards of Hayduke's presence?
3. What kind of boat does Doc want to buy?
4. Who does Hayduke realize lied when he sees a man in the train cab?
5. What does Hayduke realize has chased Abbzug?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Smith captured?
2. How is Hayduke a different person when he smokes marijuana?
3. How does Hayduke get away from Bishop Love at the cafe?
4. How do Abbzug and Hayduke get together for the first time?
5. What does Smith dream about in this section?
6. How does Hayduke escape Bishop Love at the plateau?
7. How does Doc show his anger in this section?
8. What does Sam Love see through his field glasses?
9. How does Hayduke show his fighting spirit at the beginning of the final section?
10. In what way is Abbzug and Hayduke's relationship violent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? How does he use the book to express his ideas about life and politics?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)