|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the billboard posts made of?
2. What do Sarvis and Abbzug stop to listen to?
3. What kind of vehicle does Smith own?
4. What does George Hayduke think is destroying the landscape?
5. Where do Abbzug and Doc stop before Doc has to return to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the FBI investigate Abbey?
2. What do the men discuss when the women go to bed?
3. Why does the guard tell Smith to move on from the bridge?
4. What do Doc and Abbzug argue about in the bar?
5. How does Abbey express his likes and dislikes in the prologue?
6. How does this chapter show the differences between Smith and Hayduke?
7. What were Abbey's links to environmental groups?
8. What are Abbzug's views on Hayduke and Smith?
9. How did Edward Abbey become interested in the environment?
10. How is the bridge destroyed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against industrialization? What are Abbey's opinions on industrialization and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Abbey?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)