|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Doc warn the group a Jeep is driving up the path?
2. Who does Hayduke think about when he wakes up the following morning?
3. In what part of the USA is the novel set?
4. What has caused the river to become a tame glacier?
5. What canyon does the bridge stretch across?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joseph Fielding Smith?
2. What does Hayduke watch as he eats breakfast?
3. Why did the FBI investigate Abbey?
4. What do the the Governor of Utah and two officers of the Department of Public Safety discuss as they walk back to their vehicles?
5. What does the group destroy on the construction site?
6. How do Doc and Abbzug get away with buying firearms?
7. How is the bridge destroyed?
8. How does Abbey express his likes and dislikes in the prologue?
9. How does Doc's car express his beliefs?
10. What does Chapter 7 say about Hayduke's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the book and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. He or she is arrested.
2. He or she gets trapped just after they have laid an explosive.
3. He or she is cornered by a search and rescue team.
4. He or she appears on a TV show to discuss their political views.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? How does he use the book to express his ideas about life and politics?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against industrialization? What are Abbey's opinions on industrialization and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Abbey?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)