|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sarvis and Abbzug stop to listen to?
2. Why does Doc have the final say on whether Abbzug can stay?
3. Where was Edward Abbey raised?
4. What does Seldom Seen hear a man howling like?
5. Why does a guard stop Seldom Seen from praying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Edward Abbey become interested in the environment?
2. How do Doc and Abbzug get away with buying firearms?
3. What do the men discuss when the women go to bed?
4. How does this chapter show the differences between Smith and Hayduke?
5. How is the bridge destroyed?
6. Why is the Colorado River no longer the raging force it once was?
7. Why does Smith not want to set light to the vehicles?
8. Describe Bonnie Abbzug's character.
9. What do Doc and Abbzug argue about in the bar?
10. How did Hayduke get his revenge on a police officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare one of the main characters to the person he or she was at the beginning of the book to the person he or she is at the end.
1. What did the character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes the character's ideas about life?
3. How has the character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Abbey view the 1970s? What impact has his ideas had on environmental groups? Has that impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)