|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Seldom Seen live?
2. Where does Doc Sarvis burn down billboards?
3. What are the billboard posts made of?
4. What does a man ask to borrow from the group?
5. What do Hayduke and Seldom decide they will need to destroy the bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Edward Abbey become interested in the environment?
2. What does the newspaper say about the coal train?
3. Who is Joseph Fielding Smith?
4. How do Doc and Abbzug get away with buying firearms?
5. What does Smith tell the group about Bishop Love?
6. Why does Hayduke become passionate about environmental issues?
7. How does Hayduke show his fighting spirit at the beginning of the final section?
8. In what way is Abbzug and Hayduke's relationship violent?
9. How do the characters' lives change after the trial?
10. How does Doc show his anger in this section?
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Abbey develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)