|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city did Edward Abbey hitchhike?
2. Of what group is Bishop Love a member?
3. Who does Hayduke watch as he eats breakfast?
4. Why does a guard stop Seldom Seen from praying?
5. What part of New York is Abbzug from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hayduke watch as he eats breakfast?
2. Why does Hayduke give into Doc's idea that they should not use violence?
3. What were Abbey's links to environmental groups?
4. What does the group destroy on the construction site?
5. What do the the Governor of Utah and two officers of the Department of Public Safety discuss as they walk back to their vehicles?
6. Why does Hayduke become passionate about environmental issues?
7. How does this chapter show the differences between Smith and Hayduke?
8. How does Doc's car express his beliefs?
9. What is Abbzug and Doc's relationship?
10. How do Doc and Abbzug get away with buying firearms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Abbey view the 1970s? What impact has his ideas had on environmental groups? Has that impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)