|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smith throw at Hayduke to awaken him from a nightmare?
2. What does the group hide across the canyons of southeast Utah and southern Arizona?
3. What do Doc Sarvis and Abbzug claim the explosives are for?
4. What kind of vehicle does Smith own?
5. In what part of the USA is the novel set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the group destroy on the construction site?
2. Why does the guard tell Smith to move on from the bridge?
3. How does Hayduke try to stop the Search and Rescue team with boulders?
4. How does this chapter show the differences between Smith and Hayduke?
5. What do the men discuss when the women go to bed?
6. How does Chapter 9 express Hayduke's darker side?
7. What do the the Governor of Utah and two officers of the Department of Public Safety discuss as they walk back to their vehicles?
8. Who is Joseph Fielding Smith?
9. What is Abbzug and Doc's relationship?
10. What do Doc and Abbzug argue about in the bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? How does he use the book to express his ideas about life and politics?
Essay Topic 2
Compare one of the main characters to the person he or she was at the beginning of the book to the person he or she is at the end.
1. What did the character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes the character's ideas about life?
3. How has the character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)