|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the USA is the novel set?
2. How does Doc warn the group a Jeep is driving up the path?
3. To what city did Edward Abbey hitchhike?
4. What has the Sierra Club dubbed Abbey?
5. What do the men stay up to discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doc's car express his beliefs?
2. What is Abbzug and Doc's relationship?
3. How does Chapter 9 express Hayduke's darker side?
4. What does Smith tell the group about Bishop Love?
5. What does Chapter 8 say about Bishop Love's character?
6. Who is Joseph Fielding Smith?
7. What does Chapter 7 say about Hayduke's character?
8. How does this chapter show the differences between Smith and Hayduke?
9. Why does the guard tell Smith to move on from the bridge?
10. What do the the Governor of Utah and two officers of the Department of Public Safety discuss as they walk back to their vehicles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you have a friend who is considering joining a group known to use terrorist methods.
1. What problems can you identify in the group's policies and methods? How will your friend's life change if he joins the group?
2. How can you convince your friend not to join the group.
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)