|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What canyon does the bridge stretch across?
2. What does the group decide to set a mine on?
3. Where does Hayduke have to meet the remainder of the group?
4. Where does Hayduke write a warning note?
5. What is Joseph Fielding Smith's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the introduction?
2. What do the the Governor of Utah and two officers of the Department of Public Safety discuss as they walk back to their vehicles?
3. How does Chapter 9 express Hayduke's darker side?
4. Why does Doc say he is part of the group?
5. What were Abbey's links to environmental groups?
6. Why does Hayduke give into Doc's idea that they should not use violence?
7. Describe Bonnie Abbzug's character.
8. What do the men discuss when the women go to bed?
9. How do Doc and Abbzug get away with buying firearms?
10. Who is Joseph Fielding Smith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Abbey develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)