|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hayduke and Smith plan to fill with explosives?
2. Who writes the introduction?
3. What kind of vehicle does Hayduke use to destroy other vehicles?
4. What does Seldom Seen suggest they set on fire?
5. From what country has Hayduke just returned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the bridge destroyed?
2. How does Chapter 9 express Hayduke's darker side?
3. Why does Doc say he is part of the group?
4. What does the group destroy on the construction site?
5. Why does the guard tell Smith to move on from the bridge?
6. Why does Hayduke become passionate about environmental issues?
7. How does this chapter show the differences between Smith and Hayduke?
8. How does Hayduke try to stop the Search and Rescue team with boulders?
9. Why did the FBI investigate Abbey?
10. How do Doc and Abbzug get away with buying firearms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Abbey develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)