• Abbey was raised in the Appalachian Mountains.
• In 1944 and at the age of 17, he hitchhiked from Pennsylvania to Seattle. On his way he saw the damage large industries were doing to the environment.
• On his return from WWII, Abbey enrolled at the university of New Mexico to study philosophy.
• After university, Abbey became a vocal environmental campaigner. His views and books such as THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG caught the attention of grassroots environmentalist and eventually the FBI.
• Critics have accused Abbey of encouraging eco terroism, but he has always insisted his novels were merely meant to enlighten people on environmental issues.
• Several hundred people attend the opening of a bridge on the Glen Canyon.
• The author describes how the building of the Glen Canyon Dam has turned the Colorado River into a tame glacier.
• When officials cut the ribbon to opn the bridge, the ribbon begins to burn and fireworks...
This section contains 1,726 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)